Sign in to follow this  
whoop

Defend island?

In the Campaign.

How to defend my own islands, when the island is attacked by the enemy? When i arrived the attacked location, nobody is there. When i ignore that, the Island will be red.

it´s necessary to defend the islands or should i ignore that, and searching the torpedo and capture some enemy islands, until i found the torpedo?

hmm, so, what should i do, ignore the attack?

Yes and no, that was the last place the enemy was spotted.

But I find that the AI will almost always run, so you have to try and pick where he will go next to catch him and kill him.

If you ignore the attack then, unless it is a strongly defended island, you will almost certainly lose it. The enemy carrier tends to run away when you head for the island it is attacking so just by heading there you have prevented the loss.

To defend resource / manufacturing islands place defense islands next to them - if you have 2 defense islands next to a resource / manufacturing island then it will change it's defense strength from "WEAK" to "VERY STRONG", which at worst should really slow the enemy carrier down, if not stop it from automatically capturing your island(s). Also if you have defense islands together they will go from "STRONG" to "DEADLY", again much much harder to take - ideal for a stockpile location.

G

@Gazzareth

thx, that works fine. no more island is taken by the enemy, since i´ve done it your way.

Edited by whoop

If you ignore the attack then, unless it is a strongly defended island, you will almost certainly lose it. The enemy carrier tends to run away when you head for the island it is attacking so just by heading there you have prevented the loss.

To defend resource / manufacturing islands place defense islands next to them - if you have 2 defense islands next to a resource / manufacturing island then it will change it's defense strength from "WEAK" to "VERY STRONG", which at worst should really slow the enemy carrier down, if not stop it from automatically capturing your island(s). Also if you have defense islands together they will go from "STRONG" to "DEADLY", again much much harder to take - ideal for a stockpile location.

G

This has to be one of the most useful posts yet. I was realy struggling to understand the tactics of the strategy game.

I would love to see this side of the game expanded so that it is less of a 'dice roll' as to how long the enemy takes to conquer the island;

1. If I arrive at an Island being attacked I would like to see his units on the island. I would like to be able to either use the resources from my carrier to actually defend the Island, or use friendly units and structures to defend it.

2. When I take an Island I would like to be able to build my own defences, such as scramblers and anti-hacking devices.

3. I would like the option to produce units/structures for the island too.

4. To support the above I would like to see a production queue for every island that I own that has a factory. So, if I have four islands with factories, I would like to have four production queues - this would give me more of a challenge when choosing whether to have a defence/factory or resource island. If I lose an island that has a factory, I will lose everything currently being built in that production queue - this makes me think more about where I build resources. Each Island with a factory will have the ability to build it's own supply sub - otherwise I will need to move a sub there first to collect the finished goods.

I know this starts to turn CC:GM into a more classic RTS, but I think that the game provides an excellent base onto which these kinds of ideas can be built. At the moment although true to the original (so I am told), the game is a little simplistic for this day and age. Whether these things come from mods or from the developers I think the game will be well served by expanding the strategy element.

Is there ever a time where you actively see enemy units attacking a friendly island? Or does the enemy carrier just automatically dock all units and leave the island when you show up?

does the enemy carrier just automatically dock all units and leave the island when you show up?

Yes. It seems that the enemy carrier has super radar and sees you comming. And I have never seen it lauch any units, Ever.

Uhm...I just had an island attacked. Its defences were Strong, and when I got there, the enemy carrier was attacking, with 3 mantas and 3 walrus still on the island.

Actually, they were right at the command centre. They didn't go through the process we do, getting from the carrier to the CC through all my island defences...as all my defences were fine, and my mantas/walruses weren't moving.

(So, basically we get it harder than the enemy does...he can teleport his units in...lol)

I attacked his carrier (generally when I do this, he runs away...this time he stood and fought. Taking down my carriers defences in the process. Then he ran...but only after capturing my island.)

I for one do not like this. We cannot defend our islands (I really hate the dice roll crap...he can defend his islands using his units there, so why can't we? I saw at least 4 mantas and walrus just sat there doing nothing...mine that is.)

Letting us defend out islands would be way more realistic...and fair. Especially after the island I just took off him, was a right git.

Also, his mantas and walrus were only medium...not heavy. ANd he wiped out my turrets in seconds. Even the strong ones (Which tend to whup my mantas in seconds, and they're heavy...)

Anyhoo...other than this imbalance, it's a good game.

Moving on...

Uhm...I just had an island attacked. Its defences were Strong, and when I got there, the enemy carrier was attacking, with 3 mantas and 3 walrus still on the island.

Actually, they were right at the command centre. They didn't go through the process we do, getting from the carrier to the CC through all my island defences...as all my defences were fine, and my mantas/walruses weren't moving.

(So, basically we get it harder than the enemy does...he can teleport his units in...lol)

I attacked his carrier (generally when I do this, he runs away...this time he stood and fought. Taking down my carriers defences in the process. Then he ran...but only after capturing my island.)

I for one do not like this. We cannot defend our islands (I really hate the dice roll crap...he can defend his islands using his units there, so why can't we? I saw at least 4 mantas and walrus just sat there doing nothing...mine that is.)

Letting us defend out islands would be way more realistic...and fair. Especially after the island I just took off him, was a right git.

Also, his mantas and walrus were only medium...not heavy. ANd he wiped out my turrets in seconds. Even the strong ones (Which tend to whup my mantas in seconds, and they're heavy...)

Anyhoo...other than this imbalance, it's a good game.

Moving on...

Actually, your island destroyed one Walrus and one Manta before you got there. The enemy carrier appears to use all 4 Mantas and all 4 Walruses to attack any island, so if you see fewer than 4 of either unit, then your island destroyed something while defending against the attack.

I've also seen enemy Walruses drive up from the beaches, so I don't think that they teleport to the CC area.

Next time, leave the carrier alone and attack the units that he has attacking your island. If you blow up the ones that he's landed, the enemy carrier can't/won't do anything to the island until he gets fully resupplied with Mantas and Walruses. (Which can take several supply barge round trips.) Now, the enemy carrier will go after you if you get too close, but you can leave it alone for a while if you want.

I am not going to make another thread so I will ask here, what is the point in making a defense island?

Edited by Cotoi

Defense islands are much harder for the enemy carrier to capture, AND they strengthen the defences of any islands they are linked to.

In practical terms, that means it takes the enemy carrier much longer to capture them, and a bit longer to capture any production or resource islands that they are linked to.

So: you might put your stockpile on one, you might plant one in the middle of the enemy's supply chain to deny him supplies, or you might build a row of them between you and the enemy's islands, so he has to waste a lot more time getting to your production and supply islands before he can attack them.

Defense islands are much harder for the enemy carrier to capture, AND they strengthen the defences of any islands they are linked to.

In practical terms, that means it takes the enemy carrier much longer to capture them, and a bit longer to capture any production or resource islands that they are linked to.

So: you might put your stockpile on one, you might plant one in the middle of the enemy's supply chain to deny him supplies, or you might build a row of them between you and the enemy's islands, so he has to waste a lot more time getting to your production and supply islands before he can attack them.

In fact, I've had deadly rated islands repulse a normal-level enemy carrier.