Sign in to follow this  
Tolmos

Any official word on pathfinding yet?

Nope, wasn't applied automatically on steam. My game version is 1.1.xxxx.

Is the pathfinding any better with the patch?

That is the latest version for STEAM, I found 1.2 slightly better, but needs much work....

G

Doesn't seem to want to patch the steam version. All I get is, I have not installed the game on my comp or the installation is corrupted.

Guess I'll have to wait for an "official' steam patch. Until then it's micromanagement gallore.

---------- Post added at 19:25 ---------- Previous post was at 19:20 ----------

I do agree though with other posters on here, Bohemia Interactive is not known for it's great pathfinding ai. I remember two british troop carriers in ArmA 2, I gave one a waypoint, he had to turn around 180degrees on a road.......God, what a sad sight to see that was.

The Steam versions and the retail versions are the same. They just did not amend the version number in the Steam exe. Steam players playing 1.1 are playing the same game as non-Steam 1.2. They are going to unify the version numbers in the 1.3 patch.

So I went ahead and bought this game over the weekend because I liked the original on the Amiga but never had the patience to do much in that game. I've definitely got a lot more patience these days and really need it for the Walrus pathfinding AI too. I've played the campaign in total for around 4 or 5 hours and I swear half of that time was spent hand-holding the Walrus units into going very short distances along paths with only 1 or 2 waypoints. To get anything done efficiently, I literally have to pilot each Walrus separately and get them to the position I want them to be in, then edge my way forward across the maps. I fail to see how this could have been deemed "acceptable" by any QA team prior to release.

I feel as though I have bought a game that is still in Beta because it is in no way polished or playable within reason. I've played many, many, many games in the last 30 or so years and this is the worst pathfinding I have witnessed in a simulator game to date... there have been other games with poor pathfinding but not so bad that you have to hand-hold every single unit every single time you want to move them. This issue should be the number one priority to being fixed in terms of gameplay fixes.

Some official word would go a long way to putting the concerns we have to rest...

I've just created this account for one post.

I saw this game on Steam and I think it looks awesome. Before I was willing to shell out, though, I decided I should have a look around, and where else is more truthful/brutal than a game's own forums? Turns out I'm glad that I came here. I've seen terrible AI before and I'm not going to waste my time/money with this game unless it is fixed. I'll try to check back periodically, but until then I'll be playing Torchlight 2, which was effectively delayed until it was polished enough to release.

The goal of my post isn't to whine about the bugs, it's to lend another voice to the crowd; a voice that hasn't already given BI their money.

tldr: I'd love to buy your game. If you fix the bugs, I will.

I'd just like to see a sticky with 'we are working on the pathfinding problems', that's all. A sign that they know, and are working on it.

I've actually just requested a refund on the grounds that the game is of unacceptable quality at the point of sale. I will repurchase the game at a later time if the pathfinding is fixed. Until then.. adios!

I'd just like to see a sticky with 'we are working on the pathfinding problems', that's all. A sign that they know, and are working on it.

Agreed.

It's rather troubling that the devs seem to be completely ignoring this topic, even when making sweeps of responses across this forum, and despite the fact that it has one of the highest numbers of responses. I also don't see any dev responses to the "Walrus pathfinding" issue on the bug tracker, which worries me even more. The issue hadn't even been assigned to anyone last time I checked. :(

Any sign that the problem is acknowledged and is being worked on would be nice.

Silence tends to breed insanity, as can be seen right now in the Arma3 forums. :D

Edited by MadDogX

It's rather troubling that the devs seem to be completely ignoring this topic, even when making sweeps of responses across this forum, and despite the fact that it has one of the highest numbers of responses. I also don't see any dev responses to the "Walrus pathfinding" issue on the bug tracker, which worries me even more. The issue hadn't even been assigned to anyone last time I checked. :(

Any sign that the problem is acknowledged and is being worked on would be nice.

We're gathering feedback from the forums, the tracker, and our own bug tracker, and will be discussing what to address in upcoming patches. This issue, among others, will also be discussed.

We're gathering feedback from the forums, the tracker, and our own bug tracker, and will be discussing what to address in upcoming patches. This issue, among others, will also be discussed.

Thank you! I hope the pathfinding issue gets very high priority for the next patch. :D

The problem is big enough that, its actually starting to break the game, yet rather if it is top of the.list.of fixes or they want to "fix other pressing issue first" is out of our hands, it takes bi more then 10 years to not fix the convoy problem in RV, god know how long would it takes tofix this one.

Thanks for your reply Dram! Feedback like that is highly appreciated and puts a lot of minds at ease. I think I speak for everyone though, when I say that the walrus pathfinding can easily be put on number one of your list. I've had a few crashes and bugs here and there, but all that I'll happily cope with.

I've been studying the walrus pathfinding a bit closer- and it's actually quite impressive. When it does work, it's capable of finding routes through very harsh terrain, and I do have the impression it's all calculated on-the-fly, which is a hard thing to do. I've got the impression it's the close-range recalculation that needs to be looked at- as it seems to put waypoints behind the progressing walrus as opposed to in front, thus causing him to start turning and that's what causes more problems.

Hello everyone, we are going to address the AI pathfinding, please see this thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?141129-Carrier-Command-Gaea-Mission-AI-pathfindng-to-be-addressed&p=2235543#post2235543

Plan for future patches.

After two months of in-depth research we have found that the walrus path-finding is at fault for the walrus's strange behaviour. We hope that after a further two months we should be able to determine how the path-finding is associated to the strange behaviour.

In mid 2013 we believe we might be able to locate a dev no longer playing DayZ, who can confirm our findings.

If all goes to plan we are happy to announce a path-finding patch before Christmas of 2015.

Love a Non-dev. XXX

After two months of in-depth research we have found that the walrus path-finding is at fault for the walrus's strange behaviour.

ROTFL. Reminds me of "found this spoon, sir". :D

But something is wrong about your post: People don't play DayZ any more, it's pretty silent already.

My prediction for the patch notes:

- We have opened up pathfinding AI for modding, now stop complaining and fix it yourself.

Perhaps if someone could mod a setting so that a Manta under AI control which gets below a user-defined health immediately starts dives, jinks and tries to head home? Perhaps NOT directly over the triple-A.

Losing Mantas cos they just sit there and get blown out of the sky really does my head in. Maybe mantas could circle when they get to the end of their program? I think the original did that.

I'd love to have some air-support for my walrus, but 4 walrii & 4 mantas go in. 1 walrus comes out, with me driving it. If I'm lucky a few of the other walrii are just perched on rocks or walls, rather than actually blown up, so I can go rescue them.

My prediction for the patch notes:

- We have opened up pathfinding AI for modding, now stop complaining and fix it yourself.

Bit difficult on the Xbox so let's hope they fix it :)

Are you able to add mods to the xbox?

First:

Its sad (every time a walrus humps a wall, an angel loses its wings :P ) , but it seems to have been agreed that BI's has a bad history with pathfinding AI and I have see some 'Holy @$#% WTF WOW!' stuff come out of AI programming games. The community talent is out there, we just need a chance to unleash it.

Second:

And I doubt that the pathing AI, in any state (bot pre and post) is adaptable to different move types and unit size because it is catered to the current units. (Devs, Please correct me if I'm wrong on this)

So, if we are to have anything that doesn't resemble the current unit size and movment, then we need to be able to change stuff in the pathing AI to coustomise it for new units and move types. (IE: A hover craft with jump jets or mantas with no hover ability.)

Third:

Three is a charm and we are fast running out of angels. Please. Join the movment to save those poor angels. For just moments a day, we can prevent the souce of the angels winglessness. (This is what you get with lack of sleep, muhahahah lol)

Are you able to add mods to the xbox?

No, only patches/content approved via the MS submission process (in exchange for money of course).

Maybe we'll get a pathfinding fix as part of a $20 DLC?

Charging gamers for content that should've been included in the original box is the cool thing to do these days for gamers. Just look at the rest of the game market.