Sign in to follow this  
VariousArtist

Beta 3 Walrus AI - Unplayable

Sorry, dear devs, but what I currently experience with your walrus vehicle AI feels like a bitter joke! The single Walrus AI is nearly completly unable to navigate many of your cluttered islands (nice, but too cluttered for the AI to work). If other Walrus' are close it becomes even more a 1995 RTS game AI.

Nice bumblebee dances but unplayable as strategy game! This has to be adressed!

The Beta 2 AI was far batter able to navigate the Islands than this one is. I wonder if its not the AI that's changed but the Islands themselves?

I hope that the AI in the full game is different than the one in this beta or there will be ranting and raving on the review stands.

Unnecessary Bumblebee dances, that what makes it frustrating. Too often I've seen one Walrus circling crazily without need.

Agreed, its bad.

I just had one at full helth, on a friendly island, die from collision damage!

Another one got stuck on a distroyed building and I had to ram it with a manta to get it unstuck.

They don't like piers and bridges.

Mantas have a problem too. Set your carrier at full forward and tell your mantas to dock. Oh!.. but it's a wonderful sight watching them swoop in and docking as your carrier parts the waves. But then, here comes the last manta, nope, it cannot land, just follows the carrier a-bobbing and a-weaving.

Edited by Dajunka

Mantas have a problem too. Set your carrier at full forward and tell your mantas to dock. Oh!.. but it's a wonderful sight watching them swoop in and docking as your carrier parts the waves. But then, here comes the last manta, nope, it cannot land, just follows the carrier a-bobbing and a-weaving.

I've already reported such Manta docking problems in http://www.carriercommand.com/feedback/view.php?id=594

I REALLY hope the Walrus behaviour/pathing/"AI" is better in release version or gets attention quickly. This is the kind of thing that (undeservingly) easily can knock off points in a review.

I REALLY hope the Walrus behaviour/pathing/"AI" is better in release version or gets attention quickly. This is the kind of thing that (undeservingly) easily can knock off points in a review.

Im 100% sures theres no better AI hidden somewhere in the final version so I hope the AI will knock off lots of percents from reviews. That might not sound nice, but that public echo seems to be the only chance to get a fix for the horrible pathfinding and vehicle AI. They had enough time to fix this. It was adressed more than early enough.

Yes, if you send all your Walrusses it is possible only one makes it to the target, all others get stuck or slaughtered.

Also, they often slow down/accelerate without reason.

Picture related.

711-rollstuhl-unfall.jpg

If the pathfinding AI hasn't been improved, it will cripple the game.

I would rather the devs clear the islands of eye candy (trees and rocks and the other clutter which trips up the Walruses) to enable the AI to work, rather than release the game with the AI faults we're seeing in Beta 3.

Fingers crossed.

Well, to be honest if anyone has played this for any length of time they would know about the problematic vehicle AI, so I'm sure its been corrected in house as I'm sure they played their own game so they realized it themselves. Not sure why it would be in the beta though.

Not sure why it would be in the beta though.

And therein lies the lingering concern...

Well, to be honest if anyone has played this for any length of time they would know about the problematic vehicle AI, so I'm sure its been corrected in house as I'm sure they played their own game so they realized it themselves. Not sure why it would be in the beta though.

Looking back at the long list of games released as complete wrecks I doubt your hopes. Logic is with you, but money dictates otherwise.

And CC must already be gold and shipping. I bet we are screwed. Flawed AI, bad Carrier combat... Im curious whats left besides shiny visuals and "Bohemia Campaign"..

Having studied the Walrus AI some more I must say that also somewhat impresses me. It NEVER 'cheats' and this makes it realistic. However, maybe it's this it should do sometimes when getting stuck or when ending up in backward/forward motion between objects for an extended time.

Another thing that can be improved is when it has been commanded to a building to do something like refuel, rebuild Command center, etc. It seems then it is not satisfied with just getting in range to be able to perform the task, instead it seem to search for a specific spot in front of the building before interacting with it. Quite a few times I have seen this and this makes it fail in completing the task even though it would succeed if it just went ahead and 'pressed f' (use button) at the spot it already is.

Anyway, the getting stuck part is the big issue here. Just now I had a walrus stuck forever not being able to find a path around the carrier after being undocked. *sigh*

They still didn't fixed the vehicle AI???Holy crap it was a problem in Ofp,Arma,A2CO and here too??I bet A3 would have the same issue with vehicle pathfinding.I bought most of BI catalogue until now but no way they'll get away with this issue again.I'll keep at least 20 light years between my wallet and CC&A3.It's 2012(soon 2013) people.

New BI trademark:We make great games but AI driving??Forget about it.:rofl: