Sign in to follow this  
shephart

Confirmed features now cancelled - your thoughts?

agreed.

again, its not only about the confirmed feature list in this forum, its more about BIS interviews what they told us (and what not).

so, if BIS does not make underground structures, then they should remove this pointless bunker door http://www.pcgames.de/screenshots/original/2012/02/ARMA_3__1_.jpg ... its pointless when there won´t be underground structures and players can not enter it.

and i said IF.

Just because something may not be fully functioning doesn't mean it doesn't have some purpose, even if it's simple as an asthetic prop at the most basic. Imagine what it would be like going into WoW and seeing an end boss raid, but you can't enter it or do anything with it really, does that mean it should be removed then and there? So that a structure could just pop up at some future point?

I'm sure they had plans originally to toy around with these ideas until the upgrade for physX 3 came about along with the discovery that AI had practicaly nill documentation, which would have set them back by months easily, and who knows, perhaps in a future update the AI will be given the ability to operate in underground structures.

Edited by NodUnit

Wow, dude, you're funny. Some bunker doors are not meant to be opened without blowing up the whole hill/rock formation. :) Hey, by that logic, why was there water on Chernarus, so no subs, no water, noe? I konfused. :(

f069ad45_epic_facepalm_by_www-zaaap_-net_.jpg

you are funny ! comparing water with a non-functional bunker :O :O

you can swim, drive boats, do naval missions etc.... thats another thing.

bunker door does not open but can be blow up and then bunker can be enter ? would be good ! but you forgot the AI problem why underground structures are postponed or will be later even cancelled.

Edited by shephart

http://www.zaaap.net/wp-content/gallery/facepalm-pics-3/f069ad45_epic_facepalm_by_www-zaaap_-net_.jpg

you are funny ! comparing water with a non-functional bunker :O :O

you can swim, drive boats, do naval missions etc.... thats another thing.

bunker door does not open but can be blow up and then bunker can be enter ? would be good ! but you forgot the AI problem why underground structures are postponed or will be later even cancelled.

There's no swimme in ArmA 1+1, only float. :O And boats can drive on land, why need water? :O Subs need water, no subs = no water, noe?

---------- Post added at 17:24 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

pfaF-49LLV8

See?

The community was going to be disappointed that "all the things" aren't in, even though Vespa specifically that BI won't make "all the things" or ARMA 3 would be in development hell Duke Nukem Forever-style. :p

Oh, and about that "mine" screenshot... who even says that that entrance leads to underground? Maybe the entire inside is above ground. :D

There's no swimme in ArmA 1+1, only float. :O And boats can drive on land, why need water? :O Subs need water, no subs = no water, noe?

---------- Post added at 17:24 ---------- Previous post was at 17:15 ----------

See?

BIS ? please remove water in ArmA3 since we can drive boats on land.

Edited by W0lle
quoted video

We are grown ups and so we can easily understand that "all the things" may not make their way in the final release. I'm very happy with what i've seen sofar, i'm only waiting to see how AI will evolve in the end.

We are grown ups and so we can easily understand that "all the things" may not make their way in the final release. I'm very happy with what i've seen sofar, i'm only waiting to see how AI will evolve in the end.

as they said already, AI won´t be improved since the guy who coded the AI left them without any tutoria or documentary about the codes, so BIS do NOT know how to work with the codes, so there won´t be any big improvements on the AI.

as they said already, AI won´t be improved since the guy who coded the AI left them without any tutoria or documentary about the codes, so BIS do NOT know how to work with the codes, so there won´t be any big improvements on the AI.

Lol. Who can believe this ?

Medical personnel on standby? ALERT! Nurse! It's happening again. You better not be trollin', lest the thread be closed. :)

i kind of had enough of you lad: try this

And this is BI's fault how?

Here's a post of mine consisting of three quotes, one by RiE and one by InstaGoat, on AI in ARMA 3, and here's the closest I could find to what shephart is talking about:

I was told that one problem with developing the AI so far has been that new features had been added, while old ones basically were carried over. As old developers went and new ones came, documentation was neglected, so at times, the people currently working on the AI themselves don´t know what part does what. The result of that is the AI in Arma 2 is as clunky as it is sometimes: it´s not because it is bad, it´s just that it is made of lots of parts that were left unadjusted. So, what they are doing with Arma 3 is apparently one big spring-clean trough the AI framework, building and confirming documentation, constructing up-to-date tools to adjust and test the AI, and iron out the bugs.

Here's a post of mine consisting of three quotes, one by RiE and one by InstaGoat, on AI in ARMA 3, and here's the closest I could find to what shephart is talking about:

Very far from what he said :rolleyes:

I said CLOSEST. ;)

For what it's worth, I remember one story being that while people expected DayZ-motivated ARMA 2: CO sales to result in improvements to ARMA 3 -- when BI brought on new people, every one of them had to be brought up to speed on how everything worked, which took up time.

Exaggerating much?

Exaggerating much?

Wouldn't be surprised, people will do anything do defend their point. I think people just need to accept that not all features are doable and the ones that aren't are rather minor.

Uh, wrong. That was not what was stated. The documentation apparently IS incomplete, however, many problems of the AI don´t result from absent but misconfigured features. They are spring-cleaning the AI, updating, correcting and expanding documentation and stats to make everything that already exists work as intended.

Previously, the AI was continuously expanded while existing systems were left unadjusted or maladjusted. So instead of tacking on more stuff that will make the thing even more complex and convoluted, they are correcting and tweaking the existing AI to make it work as it should.

Also, even if they didn´t know the code at all, somebody could go through it and figure it out. It´s not like the Arma AI is the Voynich manuscript of coding.

It´s not like the Arma AI is the Voynich manuscript of coding.

But, but, but... I thought that by playing ArmA I could comprehend this Universe. :(

Shephart .... why are you so mad about this first off about your remark about the helicopters not being fully implemented the game isn't in its alpha for pete's sake!

I also have another question why do people want underground structures...so your graphics card can get torn apart that much more, of course they would be cool but i don't see them playing that big of a role in player vs ai but i cant give you the link because i don't remember where i heard this but im preety sure ivan said that ai were able to navigate and fight in underground structures but they didn't see a big enough reason to put them in the game..he said map designers could if they wanted but really come on its not worth it. One more thing is that i think people are miss understanding canceled features because as you know they get asked about the editor and stuff everyday and when they mess up once and don't say that there's a 3d editor or something like that people flip out and go crazy!

I only ask one thing just stop going crazy about what there confirming and unconforming(having second thoughts), because the game isn't in its alpha yet, i would agree with you if the beta was out right now but for now when there isn't even a date for the alpha.. stop getting mad at BIS...these guys are amazing they create games that are 1000 times bigger than Call of Duty with a fraction of the money and game designers.

So rather than saying GIVE ME AMAZING HELICOPTERS NOW BITCH! and "WTF ?! BIS?! whats wrong with you ?!", you should be Helping and not Hating.

I regard your post a troll = we're even! You can't possibly expect BIS to include every single daydreamers' wish into the game.

Underwater terrain & combat

Ragdoll physics for infantry

Wheel (& tracked) vehicle physics and weight simulation

Reworked animations

New dynamic stance system (CTRL key)

Two new massive and massively-detailed islands

Innumerable new units, weapons and equipment,

All of the above is on top of ArmA II

Not enough?

Is Arma 2 whit some new features

is that enough for you? BIS community is very conformist. That's why this game is stuck

is that enough for you? BIS community is very conformist. That's why this game is stuck

What do you personally expect from ArmA III? Really, be objective here: ragdoll physics and weight/physics simulation for vehicles is a MAJOR change, two new islands, with Stratis being 64 km^2, the other is 400 km^2, both fully populated in a new setting - have you even seen the footage on Lemnos? PvP is being reworked with major changes to controls, animations, a new competitive stance system, new comprehensive inventory and backpack system, customizable character equipment, new HUD(s); underwater combat, naval combat, diving; completely new sets of units, vehicles, weapons, fully moddable and modular primary weapons, various other miscellaneous equipment plus a new campaign - what else do you need?!

I konfused.

---------- Post added at 18:54 ---------- Previous post was at 18:52 ----------

That's why this game is stuck

ROFL. LMAO. In the context of the above features, which I have described. LOL 82ns48amnv8ya7aebz82_normal.jpeg

---------- Post added at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was at 18:54 ----------

Dayum, forgot to mention the Devs responsible for the graphical changes to the engine,

mIwfS8uJJIk

Justice restored!

P.S. This is fun, I may keep adding features to the list, as I keep recalling them.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

Wat. Every iteration of the game has been X with new features. Arma was OFP with an updated graphics engine and bigger Islands. Arma 2 introduced micro-AI, inverse kinematics for guns, native warfare and high command as well as another update to the graphics engine, among other things. Arma 3 will build upon the same foundation again, and introduce new things and do more.

If you look at it realistically, no matter how you feel about the things that are being slashed now, Arma 3 is the most radical step forward in terms of feature advancement we´ve seen ever.

Please tell me, what exactly do YOU expect BI to do with the game until it conforms with your Idea of "progress"?

Please tell me, what exactly do YOU expect BI to do with the game until it conforms with your Idea of "progress"?

Didn't you get the memo? Allegedly, if the game doesn't have fast roping and underground bunkers it's not progress. 82ns48amnv8ya7aebz82_normal.jpeg

I also have another question why do people want underground structures.

For me "structures" don't matter much, but it would be very nice to have some real trenches foxholes etc. Also some caves for insurgents to hide out in would be awesome. But otherwise yeah your right, theres not much else use for them aside from some cool mods.

Interested to know what exactly you were expecting instead...