Sign in to follow this  
shephart

Confirmed features now cancelled - your thoughts?

I won't look for the post, but I remember a dev saying that fastroping wont be in the game as their PhysX implementation doesn't include "string physics", for ropes etc. Which also means towing ropes is out of the question...

I remember a post from PurePassion in which he said that one of the devs told him that although fast roping wont be ingamne, it will be supported by the engine... I could be mistaken and if this is the case, Pure better clarify the situation so I can remove or keep it on the confirmed least.

UPDATE !!

maybe 2 other features will be stopped/cancelled/postponed

1. JAVA : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?140663-Java

2. Fast ropes (read the lastest page of this topic).

this is where arma 3 is going....

Lol, you come back here after spreading BS like this : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?139788-Confirmed-features-now-cancelled-your-thoughts&p=2221904&viewfull=1#post2221904, to talk about features which never been confirmed. This topic is a must.

Having seen the Java thread... right now BIS has more important things to do than responding about Java, or even about ARMA 3 :D

UPDATE !!

maybe 2 other features will be stopped/cancelled/postponed

1. JAVA : http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?140663-Java

2. Fast ropes (read the lastest page of this topic).

this is where arma 3 is going....

1 uhm, Bi employes dont even mention anything on this thread, its just rumours, and no facts.

2 this have been known for a LONG time

So it seems that anything that doesn't get talked about for long enough gets to appear on this list.

So it seems that anything that doesn't get talked about for long enough gets to appear on this list.

Well yes... mater of fact, I'm considering removing everything on the confirmed features list if the dev's don't release a 20-30 min long audio file commenting on every single feature from the confirmed list by 16:00 PM tomorrow. I expect it to be narrated by Jay C in a very passionate yet casual manner...

Mark my words... BI and forum ... mark my words

Well yes... mater of fact, I'm considering removing everything on the confirmed features list if the dev's don't release a 20-30 min long audio file commenting on every single feature from the confirmed list by 16:00 PM tomorrow. I expect it to be narrated by Jay C in a very passionate yet casual manner...

Mark my words... BI and forum ... mark my words

Roger that, is it ok if I mark them with red paint?

:p

Things I still want:

1. Underground structures

2. 3D editor

3. Larger controllable vehicles such as full fledged ships, that have multiple functional positions, such as driver and gunner.

So pretty much anything that has behaviour coded into the engine itself. For everything else, us programmers can do the rest.

Edited by ruhtraeel

I'm interested in the third one, but underground and an "official" editor I consider expendable. (The problems with BI trying to please anyone in the fanbase... they're so fractured in wanting different things :p )

I'm interested in the third one, but underground and an "official" editor I consider expendable.

I'd prioritize it 3,1,2 but 1 and 2 are not exactly expendable and will go a long way to adding some polish, as far lists go its about the shortest most relevant and concise one so far.

What I don't understand is, if AI doesn't work properly, why don't they fix the AI? Create separate AI for underground behavior, or whatever they got to do. They are the developers, they have the source code that they created, and they know how to work with it, what's the problem exactly?

Im thinking that the problem with expecting everything lets you down, its like saying you've got the job when your only going for an interview, or thinking its going to be sunny because the weather man said so.

Overall Arma 3 is going to be great, and whatever BIS pulls out is going to be open, expanded and a slightly better version than last time, theres going to be no surprises and im going to jump up and down with my new copy when I get it.

To think anything less of BIS is an insult to their ability, which compared to a lot of game developers is 100X better, they are open about their issues and they clearly still want to achieve what is there.

Its not like they've removed it and hoped the players didnt notice, neither is (considering the team size) one person saying something meaning a complete loss of that feature.

What it means is they are having difficulties with that feature, but instead of supporting them and giving helpful "hey you can do it guys" you decide "MY GAME BROKE" is an appropriate answer, when you haven't even bought the game and not even the alpha is out lol.

Well I know and you know that your still going to buy the game.

What I don't understand is, if AI doesn't work properly, why don't they fix the AI?...

...what's the problem exactly?

Time.

You dont just "create a new AI" its a complex system that needs a LOT of design to get right...

Time.

You dont just "create a new AI" its a complex system that needs a LOT of design to get right...

Even harder when you are working with a partial black box without documentation, huh?

Even harder when you are working with a partial black box without documentation, huh?

Oh not that again :icon_ohmygod:

Time.

Well that's understandable, but AI is pretty big part of the game, its important feature that perhaps deserves the time and work that has to be done in order to improve it. I can live with them not including 3D editor, because that doesn't effect gameplay directly. Better AI though, that's something that I would love to have in new game, and preferably out of the box.

I guess what I am trying to say, is that perhaps its worth pushing the release just to get feature like that in the game. I can see how the game would be much more enjoyable with smarter opponents who can also behave properly indoors and underground.

It's a bit like the bible and the new testament. 4 different guys write about Jesus, not knowing the full story and everybody gets it a little bit different ;)

nobody tows with ropes these days anyway...

A-frame towbars is where its at.

LAV's and AAV's use tow ropes. Infact anything that requires a tow in the water will use tow ropes per SOP.

Tow bars are only used for land recovery ops and are only used for long hauls. Short recovery ops call for tow cables. The tow bars themselves are quite heavy and generally will never be pulled out during a hostile engagement, crews will use cables and ropes first as they are something that a single person can hook up very quickly. Where as the tow bars are usually a 2-3 person carry and proceedure

Edited by Vandrel

Im thinking that the problem with expecting everything lets you down, its like saying you've got the job when your only going for an interview, or thinking its going to be sunny because the weather man said so.

Overall Arma 3 is going to be great, and whatever BIS pulls out is going to be open, expanded and a slightly better version than last time, theres going to be no surprises and im going to jump up and down with my new copy when I get it.

To think anything less of BIS is an insult to their ability, which compared to a lot of game developers is 100X better, they are open about their issues and they clearly still want to achieve what is there.

Its not like they've removed it and hoped the players didnt notice, neither is (considering the team size) one person saying something meaning a complete loss of that feature.

What it means is they are having difficulties with that feature, but instead of supporting them and giving helpful "hey you can do it guys" you decide "MY GAME BROKE" is an appropriate answer, when you haven't even bought the game and not even the alpha is out lol.

Well I know and you know that your still going to buy the game.

LMAO :D i never bought any game from BIS.

and it seems like i won´t buy ArmA 3.

Edited by shephart

LMAO :D i never bought any game from BIS.

Then what are you doing on these forums? What are you doing complaining about cancelled features that were never confirmed?

Edited by OnlyRazor