Sign in to follow this  
Bullfrog1

separate sound systems.

I would like to be able to separate my audio content of the game, and redirect them to two different systems.

I think an option to send external sounds threw a speaker system and keep Radio chatter in a head set should be available.

External sounds being Direct chat, walking/running, gunshots, birds, what ever is not played directly in to your headset when really on a battle field.

ifor exp, if you where playing a co op mission and started to use direct chat, I would hear it threw my speakers. But if you called in via radio, I would hear it threw my head set.

There should be options to config this how ever you want. to optimize your playing style or rig set up. But giving this option will greatly increase immersion for the game and think it's worth looking in to.

If you want to do that with single player, no solution: it would require the game to support that.

If you want to do that with multiplayer, easy: get a second sound card, set the default windows system sounds on one of the audio cards, teamspeak on the other.

I currently play with such a setup in order to be able to mute system/game sounds while still getting radio chatter.

But if you intend to hear the radio through headphones while game sounds through speakers I advice you against it: it requires a pretty high volume on the speaker to compensate the headphones,I tried.

Sent from my LG-P990 using Tapatalk 2

its more[not much, actually] limited by sound systems, used by game, than by hardware.

basically i hope, that Microsoft include[in SP1 for Win8 and SP2 for Win7 ?] some features from Pulse Audio in that regards, just like how they accepted/absorbed many warmly welcomed others, in past days.

That is a good point, but that's also the way the xbox does it if i recall currently. I'm sure if you're using the right type of headphones and tune the volume of each of the devices.

and I didn't no you needed two sound cards for this =(

i've seen exact the same thread somewhere. They (BIS) should at least implement some kind of "Sound Environment" first, so shooting in woods would actually sound like shooting in the woods, battle in a town, will sound like a battle in the town, this was not present in arma 2, but can be emulated it HARCP sound mod and partly with JSRS sound mod. And you already want some weird sound implementation, which is imo absolutely nonsense.

Also i belive, this thread will be locked soon, since we've got http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?125819-ArmA-3-Community-wishes-amp-ideas-NO-DISCUSSION this thread here.

Edited by NeuroFunker

also better stereo is needed. when a tank is left of you - its not that your right ear hears 0.. it hears maybe 80% of the volume or sth. there are tables for that.

when playing with headphones its annoying if there is such a 0% - 100% range which aint normal at all..

I think OP's idea is pretty cool. Having all external sounds like the environment and gunshots come out of Speakers, but communications and such could be directed to headset. I think this would give nice immersion (or not), depending on the headset you'd be using.

Some sound cards do support two different outputs, so the Windows see them as two playback devices, although it is just one piece of HW. Old Audigy 2 ZS could do that :)

Yet I don't believe this is an important feature. May add some sort of freedom for DIY home battlefield fans out there, but majority of the headphones ppl are using are closed-back's that would give - using that method - some sort of realism only for a T72 crew :D

Much more important is implementation of what ACRE brought into Arma2. Without the need for external program like TS. And a proper acoustic simulation of sounds, soundscape, transmission, etc.

Btw, little nice addition in sound preferences would be a possibility to decide (ingame) which playback device to use for ARMA (as long as the Windows are pretty ugly at managing the sound HW (sadly, Arma2 is even worse))

I'd also like to have a volume control for how much of the receiving ends radio transmission external noise is transmitted. So if A who is inside a chopper talks to B, B can also hear the chopper sounds as determined by A's volume control. Mix in optional downgrading of the radio to be more narrow bandwidth, to make it sound more like a radio (not everyone wants this), it would be a serious win for immersion.

Still think we shouold have to rely on ACRE for actual downgrading of actual signal based on obstacles and distance though.

There was a thread for Arma2 which I cannot find and posted in, and it was all about this type of support so I will post the same again for this.

I had a sound card issue where my main card for the game's mic input was faulty, but I had an onboard soundcard. So for things like teamspeak I had the game running on soundcard as normal and team-speak using my on-board for comms. Which then got me noticing how teamspeak can route its output and input via multiple detected devices from you device list.

I would like to see the same for arma3, which is support for multiple cards that are detected. So you can send the game audio to one, and maybe comms etc to your onboard. Not just out of the fact of doing it, but it can be useful for comms and routing if you have card issues.

For my problem it meant I could not use direct communication as Arma2 only used my main card and I could not use the mic. If it saw my second on board card I could have direct comms using the mic of my second on board card instead. Just another scenario of which it would help.

(and before anyone gets smart, yes, getting a new soundcard would be a fix obviously).

Edited by mrcash2009