Sign in to follow this  
h34dup

[CAMP] Lions of Kandahar

And here's a preview of the loading screens I'm working on, along with the Lions of Kandahar titling

FBHlY.jpg

Zszo8.jpg

cQSYQ.jpg

eAakH.jpg

A few of these missions are going to be more linear, but it's in the interest of staying as true to the story as possible. There are more open-ended missions as well, I think and hope the variety will be well-received. I will be especially interested to hear from people who have read the book and then played thru the Campaign, or if this Campaign gets people interested in reading the book.

I'm wondering if there are any editors out there who would be interested in collaborating and helping to create the training portion of Mission 2? Or can anyone recommend a good set of training-related activities/scripts? I'm having trouble making something useful out of what I think is a cool topic we haven't explored much of in Arma 2 - training the Afghan National Army.

hi headup!

great work, can't wait to test it!

can you explain what you need for mission 2?

Hey Wiki --

For Mission 2, what I have so far is this:

~ You begin as an Afghan rifleman at Firebase Maholic (already have this set up as it appears in the previous mission), standing in formation while your CO says a few words before passing it off to the American CO, who explains that the ANA will rotate around multiple stations, each being instructed by different members of ODA 331.

~ I have set up a firing range with the blue simple targets and a bunch of wrecks, but I had trouble getting the targets to detect being shot, and therefore didn't really have anything I could tie to the mission (for now)

What I envision, based on the book:

~ Rusty talks about how they had set up an obstacle course using wrecked and non-wrecked vehicles and targets, and Bill (Rusty's team Sgt) would time them and rate performance based on time and accuracy. So I would like to have the player do this, they would get like one mag and need to complete the course in a certain amount of time (if they don't make it, they would go back to the start and the clock/score would reset).

~ I would also like to have some simple demolition-related stuff - like identifying and dismantling an IED, or I would look up what an actual ANA training program involves and bring some of that in. It's not mentioned specifically in the book, but this is where I take a little bit of liberty with things.

~ Finally, towards the end of the training, Rusty and crew gets a call from the unit's commander that a Canadian unit has been ambushed. While in the book they are ordered to stand down just as Rusty gives the order to go ahead, I would like to add a little bit of action to end the mission, so the player mounts up perhaps and then has to clear all OPFOR from an area. Once the area is clear, a script is initiated that winds down the mission.

I can pass the mission file I have already to someone else if they wanted to join the project, and would likely need to do this so that the firebase and character identities are consistent. Otherwise, my only real issue is with hit detection and timing, so I would really just need to figure that out.

Edited by h34dup

Really like what you're doing here mate - your attention to detail is very inspiring (I tend to jump straight into the action a la my GR missions :)).

I will take a good look at the missions you have already released.

And who knows, maybe in the future we will collaborate if that suits.

Lighty.

Thanks a lot aust -- I remember playing through Island Thunder and getting whooped by the opfor, but the sense of tension leading up to engagements was always really exciting.

I am very much into collaborative efforts, especially when there is a source that everyone can refer to - in this case, the book, and to a larger degree, the history of what occurred during OP Medusa.

Glad you appreciate the attention to detail too. In this Campaign my process has been to try and get the skeleton of the mission in-place, and create set pieces around the mission once the essentials are working. I've wasted a lot of time in the past making pretty set pieces first, and then having to spend twice as long testing and re-testing as I would try to build the mission. Was also fortunate to have a few unused set pieces from prior efforts that I could drop in (like Kandahar Airfield) and focus on the structure.

Anyway, I set up the iPod actions for Mission 7 last night, with 6 of Dave's techno tracks, it's a fun bonus to be lobbing off nades from the Mk19 to the sounds. Mission 8 - Seven 2,000 Pounders is now underway!

Things are moving along with M8: Seven 2000 Pounders - I managed to get a good portion of the skeleton in-place, still have a bit more to do before I start adding the details. But get ready to lay the smack-down.

Following a [simulated] B-1 air strike, you set up a mortar and fire at the enemy's structures to ensure maximum devastation... then you get the option to use a Hellfire-armed Predator UAV to mop up the rest of your sector as a bonus objective. Finally, you must call in MEDEVAC for your wounded.

The AC-130 will also be available further into the campaign...gotta love LDL for giving us the ability to rain down the fire from above!

The AC-130 will also be available further into the campaign...gotta love LDL for giving us the ability to rain down the fire from above!

Not if I've got a titanium/carbon 5 inch thick Uber umbrella! :)

Here are a few screens of the mission in-progress - the UAV appears as an optional objective, as said earlier, AC-130 is also planned for a later mission in the camp. Death from above \m/

Xbkuml.jpg

WdEBXl.jpg

1IdTal.jpg

Yay! Mission 8 is 90% complete, Mission 9 - Put Your Mouthpiece In will be next... This one will return players to more open-ended gameplay as they push the Taliban off their positions atop Sperwan Ghar and capture the battlefield's most valuable real-estate.

Also rounded out the final mission order in the first post-- 13 missions in the campaign, with 2 bonus missions to be added likely after the initial Beta release of the campaign.

your campaign looks fantastic!

as soon as it is ready for beta testing, I will be happy to test it and return feedback.

just let me know when it's ready, and the required addons.

cheers, Wiki

your campaign looks fantastic!

as soon as it is ready for beta testing, I will be happy to test it and return feedback.

just let me know when it's ready, and the required addons.

cheers, Wiki

Thanks Wiki, PM sent...

will Voicing or final version?

I'm sry but I am not understanding any of the posts you've been making - are you asking if there will be voice acting in the beta version? Likely not, but I know how much it boosts the experience. I need to find a couple voice actors with a good southern American accent.

Thanks to Wiki's helpful testing and feedback, I'm working on improvements to the campaign's existing missions. Mission 9 - Put Your Mouthpiece In is also underway, you will be tasked with seizing a hill that is literally swarming with hostiles.

I've begun the process of converting all dialogue into the proper format to accommodate voice acting when that becomes available using say and radio instead of chat. I'll be getting more serious about finding voice actors, and will post in the appropriate thread, but if anyone comes across this thread and is interested in contributing, even if it's just a minor role, please post or PM here! Especially-interested in anyone with a good southern accent, please let me know if you are able to contribute...

Hello, I'm very interested in voice acting "Lions of Kandahar" for you. I've done voice acting for ArmA 2 missions and campaigns in the past. I can do the Afghan, American, Canadian, and even British accents. I've sent you a PM to let you know; I'm anxious to hear your response. Thanks! :)

Edited by Laqueesha

Awesome! PM sent, thanks a lot Laqueesha!

As of last night, I converted all dialogue over to the proper format. Lots of progress this week on the voice acting front - TheCapulet, nettrucker, krytosss, Laqueesha, are all on-board as voice actors. I am also very excited that a friend from Kabul Afghanistan has expressed interest in providing native-speaking Pashto or Dari (tentatively). And a friend, who is a recording artist making ambient music may be making an appearance in the soundtrack, it could lend a really interesting tone to the missions.

Still a lot of work to do, but things are definitely shaping up. Stay tuned.

EDIT: Looks like Kommiekat will be joining as a voice-actor as well. If there are any Europeans here who wish to make a one- or two-line cameo, the ISAF contingent was made of many countries, including the Netherlands. Gimme a shout. Some Dutch radio chatter or a little bit of accent might be cool...

Edited by h34dup

Heh, well there were Canadians leading the Operation, not sure if they spoke French on radios or whatever. Looks like the French were not directly involved in this one. Wiki, I'd love to have you make a cameo anyway!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Medusa

Door's open for any Danish or Dutch speakers to make a very brief contribution with their voices and native tongues, if anyone is interested, not a critical need though.

Heh, well there were Canadians leading the Operation, not sure if they spoke French on radios or whatever.

French Canadians would be awesome. I remember seeing a training video of some Canadian soldiers (wearing woodland CADPAT) speaking French.

Edited by Laqueesha

Please do not make your campaign 'Dependent' on required, large, downloadable content.

If you must, please make them 'optional'.

Just a suggestion.

Please do not make your campaign 'Dependent' on required, large, downloadable content.

If you must, please make them 'optional'.

Just a suggestion.

I definitely agree on this. A Dutch Apache reskin, which is a much smaller mod, was always a possibility. So it may be either way, or none. Likely would not be a requirement for the initial release, as the plan is to revisit Operation Medusa from some other perspectives in a handful of bonus missions. I like the idea of optional mods, perhaps the bonus content would be included as a separate add-on or even a collection of scenarios that are not part of the Campaign itself.

EDIT: especially considering the size of the DAFmod, it may be way more than what is necessary...still, I'm completely amazed at how many countries' militaries are available for this game, made by the community!

Edited by h34dup

Huge thanks go to Laqueesha and Kommiekat for their excellent voice acting and quick responses. I've begun dropping voices into the missions, it has been an unbelievably smooth process thank's to Wiki's initial feedback and direction. I'm thinking most of the voice work is now under-control. Still, if you really want to get involved and haven't heard from me, shoot me a PM.

I've also gotten back to the mission-making, Mission 9 is coming along nicely. You'll need to capture 4 strong-points in your push up the spine of Sperwan Ghar, more than a hundred Talibs stand in your way. Needless to say, there will be a lot of bodies. After that, in Mission 10, the perspective switches to an act of heroism that earned the real-life character a recommendation for the Medal of Honor.

I am from Atlantic Canada (New Brunswick), so I have a pretty neutral accent (in my opinion anyways). My father's side of the family was French Canadian/Acadian while my mum is straight from England, so I can do either my real accent, a sorta French one and a pretty good English one (depends on what area of England you want).

I make films, so I am a decent enough actor as it is. I can do a range of voices, so whatever is needed can be attempted.

---------- Post added at 16:23 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

French Canadians would be awesome. I remember seeing a training video of some Canadian soldiers (wearing woodland CADPAT) speaking French.

I may be able to help with this, either myself or through French Canadians that I know. Actually, I live about 10 Km from the largest military base in the Commonwealth, CFB Gagetown. I wonder if anyone from there would be interested in the project...

Hey LeClair, I see you registered here and posted an update to the Armaholic thread. Looks like you are raring to go, thank you for following through! Unfortunately, at the moment, there aren't any Canadian voices I need done at this point. However, I have a pretty substantial voice acting part for an American company commander named Jared, the accent is up to you as long as it sounds American. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send along the script. I have a few other parts I could use a voice actor for, all of which are American at the moment.