sickboy

Play withSIX Community Preview [Evolution of SIX Launcher and in time also SU]

Hi, i apologize if the question was already answered, but i wish to move my mods directory from default C:\Users\xx\Documents\arma 2 to my D: drive. Before i screw everything up ;), is it as easy as cut / paste the given ArmA 2 directory to the D: drive, then change the path in the PwS game settings ?

you can indeed just move the folder and change the path inside Play withSIX

I think i will give a try to PwS but before i do i have few questions. My plan is to use PwS only to get latest ACE and to be able join servers that use latest version. Nothing else i would prefer to play vanilla Arma 2 without PwS.

After install:

1) Can i launch regular Arma 2(vanilla) without PwS launcher?

2) If i choose to install PwS mods in different folder can i leave my mods and addons in C:\Games\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2

3) I wont play ACE all the time so my question is will i have problems joining regular no mods servers?

Hey Ivan,

1. We don't change anything to the game, so yes you can still play the game how you are used to, but PwS has some additional features that could improve your vanilla experience too.

2. Currently (updated build very near that changes this) PwS only checks the one modfolder location you've set in the game settings, so that would either be the games folder or my documents or another new folder you set yourself, but currently we don't support the use of 2 different folders simultaniously. But next week I hope that we already have the new build out with a hugely improved UI that will allow for as many different folders as you need to be used and launched from.

3. Play withSIX is made so that you can always switch and select the mods you want to play with and to launch servers with only the correct mods (if joined from within our tool) so yes you can play on any non-ace server after installing ace with our tool. as long as you don't choose to launch the game with ACE.

I hope this clears up some stuff, all else I could say is that you should just try it :) it shouldn't do any harm to your existing experience.

you can indeed just move the folder and change the path inside Play withSIX

Thanks for the answer :)

Thanks ParaGraphic L

Wow. Installed it from first try can't believe it was so easy. When i remember installing ACE first time... my hair still hurts :)

Now i only need some link for that will explain in detail all changes you can make in settings area. Also did not find any good installation guide so i used TWC ACE/ACRE installation guide. They claim that that PwS does not support ACR-DLC which i have so i did not click ACR not to mess something. Wont to know is that true or not? If true why not? ACR has some cool vehicles and planes.

Edited by Ivan911

Thanks ParaGraphic L

Wow. Installed it from first try can't believe it was so easy. When i remember installing ACE first time... my hair still hurts :)

Now i only need some link for that will explain in detail all changes you can make in settings area.

Glad to hear! :)

Most, if not every setting, will have some additional information that explains what it does, it should be displayed on the bottom of the settings area. But we should (& will) definitely improve the visibility of that.

I've forwarded your question regarding ACR to Sickboy as I can't recall what the situation with that is and can't try it as it is the only DLC I don't have. :)

How can I filter the list of available mods by game?

I have the ArmA 3 Alpha preset selected, but the available mods are all from ArmA 2, or possibly a mix.

It seems to me an absolute no-brainer that the currently-selected game should also dictate the mods in the browser list. Am I wrong?

How can I filter the list of available mods by game?

I have the ArmA 3 Alpha preset selected, but the available mods are all from ArmA 2, or possibly a mix.

It seems to me an absolute no-brainer that the currently-selected game should also dictate the mods in the browser list. Am I wrong?

Presets, that sounds like SU; Enable the Game Match filter above the Game Match column.

Does PWS allow for different mod install folders for different custom repos? It was always a pain to setup in Sixupdater but sort of needed for those who use multiple modsets that use similar mods (IE Ace) but different versions.

Presets, that sounds like SU; Enable the Game Match filter above the Game Match column.

No, it's PWS; I just use old terminology.

There's an Applesque lack of menus, so I don't know where I'm supposed to look.

Does PWS allow for different mod install folders for different custom repos? It was always a pain to setup in Sixupdater but sort of needed for those who use multiple modsets that use similar mods (IE Ace) but different versions.

Try to change mods installation directory and try it out. I don't see why you could not have 2 or more mod directories and switch between them.

We can look at implementing such or similar concept again but easier and better than before,

however we've gone a different route in recent PwS betas.

With Synq Multi version support, it is easy and very fast to migrate between different versions of mods, at a very low cost; data is deduplicated and stored compressed to easily and quickly switch versions.

While it is also possible to 'checkout' a version of a mod into a 'branched' folder (e.g @ace-beta, @ace-alpha), or into a 'versioned' folder (@ace-1.13.0.513, @ace-1.14.0.540) etc which should be especially useful for those who need to switch often, and don't care about additional diskspace wasted.

This still needs to be implemented into the UI though.

Edited by Sickboy

Hi Sickboy,

I'm finding the latest build very frustrating as it's not showing any of my imported servers that I'd added previously. It defaults to showing Featured mods, which don't include the modsets for the servers I play on. Even if I use a PWS link to import the modset into the current build again, it shows in the Launch box and prompts me to Update it but I still can't see it in the Mods list, so if I select another one I won't be able to go back to the server modset without re-importing it with the PWS link. Favourites shows 0 as does Collections. Local shows 311 in both the Game Folder and My Documents, which is wrong as there's no mods in My Documents.

I'm also finding it's installing two copies of some mods, one in my ArmA2OA folder and the other in my ArmA2 folder. So far it's just Acre, the CBA mods jayarmalib and sthud.

Looking for Feedback about the new Mod Library, from our designer:

We are hoping on some useful feedback so we can publish the new library interface in a proper state!

I believe this new design will open up a lot of functionality for everyone and encourage you to try out the new features;

• Create collections to easily launch and update sets
  • Use your community repositories
  • Discover featured content
  • Add more folders to store your content
  • Easily check all updated mods
  • Find recently used mods easier

Let us know if these work for you and if you like to see improvements

---

Hi Sickboy,

I'm finding the latest build very frustrating as it's not showing any of my imported servers that I'd added previously. It defaults to showing Featured mods, which don't include the modsets for the servers I play on. Even if I use a PWS link to import the modset into the current build again, it shows in the Launch box and prompts me to Update it but I still can't see it in the Mods list, so if I select another one I won't be able to go back to the server modset without re-importing it with the PWS link. Favourites shows 0 as does Collections. Local shows 311 in both the Game Folder and My Documents, which is wrong as there's no mods in My Documents.

Auto migration of settings will be included before stable release, for now you can manually migrate your settings. (AppData\Roaming\Play withSIX -> AppData\Roaming\SIX Networks\Play withSIX, similar for AppData\Local).

Thanks for reporting the other bugs, will look into them.

---------- Post added at 15:03 ---------- Previous post was at 15:02 ----------

I'm also finding it's installing two copies of some mods, one in my ArmA2OA folder and the other in my ArmA2 folder. So far it's just Acre, the CBA mods jayarmalib and sthud.

Mods are now installed in the lowest game supported, to remove duplicates, and support e.g mod loading and sharing between game generations (ARMA 3 -> OA/A2/TOH etc)

The problem does not occur with the default mod installation path (My Documents\ARMA 2), or by manually configuring a shared location yourself. Either one is recommended over old-school installation of mods to game folder.

Otherwise, remove the duplicated modfolders from the newer games.

Looking for Feedback about the new Mod Library, from our designer:

It would be great if there was a basic guide somewhere on how to easily serve any mods that aren't on Six (or customised versions of mods) from our own community servers.

Auto migration of settings will be included before stable release, for now you can manually migrate your settings. (AppData\Roaming\Play withSIX -> AppData\Roaming\SIX Networks\Play withSIX, similar for AppData\Local).

Thanks for reporting the other bugs, will look into them.

Yeah, I did manually migrate as I didn't expect it to auto-import my old settings but still I can't see any of my custom modsets/servers to select.

Mods are now installed in the lowest game supported, to remove duplicates, and support e.g mod loading and sharing between game generations (ARMA 3 -> OA/A2/TOH etc)

The problem does not occur with the default mod installation path (My Documents\ARMA 2), or by manually configuring a shared location yourself. Either one is recommended over old-school installation of mods to game folder.

Otherwise, remove the duplicated modfolders from the newer games.

OK, I don't really understand but I'll just use the A2OA gamefolder for both A2 and A2OA mods then to avoid the duplication problem. It's not like there's actually any A2 mods that I use anyway. I like keeping the mods in the gamefolder though as I can easily backup/restore the whole thing (actually what I do is Mirror sync the folder to my backup drive) and it also avoid having to specify a long path before each mod on the commandline (also my "My Documents" is on a different partition). I'd imagine that people using SSDs might put My Documents on a HDD to avoid filling up the SSD, which would make using My Documents for mods even less sensible, as it would take that much longer to load them from the HDD.

I actually hate the way My Documents has been co-opted as the location for multiple games and applications to store their data files as it makes it too cluttered to find any actual documents/document folders I might store in there, so I had to make another subfolder specifically for actual documents/letters. If everyone had agreed to use My Documents\Saved Games for their game/application folders that would've been fine but it's too late now and it's just an unholy mess out there :(

Build 631 released! http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147465-Play-withSIX-Launcher-Downloader-ServerBrowser-FULL-ARMA3-Alpha-Support-more!&p=2494656&viewfull=1#post2494656

It would be great if there was a basic guide somewhere on how to easily serve any mods that aren't on Six (or customised versions of mods) from our own community servers.
For the current setup you can find a doc here; https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K5gsMuvN1E_GGajrkcLzapEuHPN1eZZ68ok5hczfhQ4/edit

But there are still some issues we need to address before 1.5 stable release.

In the meantime we're getting ready to deploy our new repository and dedicated server tools, things should get a lot easier, better and clear with those in the mix :)

Yeah, I did manually migrate as I didn't expect it to auto-import my old settings but still I can't see any of my custom modsets/servers to select.
Address in build 631, given there are no pws 1.4+ settings under SIX Networks\Play withSIX appdata folders :)
I actually hate the way My Documents has been co-opted as the location for multiple games and applications to store their data files as it makes it too cluttered to find any actual documents/document folders I might store in there, so I had to make another subfolder specifically for actual documents/letters. If everyone had agreed to use My Documents\Saved Games for their game/application folders that would've been fine but it's too late now and it's just an unholy mess out there :(
I actually agree, it's quite a mess, but since it's the main place (and used by BI games) for user space files, we're inclined to follow it instead of Program Files, but we'll keep things configurable, any other user space folder is recommended too :)

Build 631 released! http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147465-Play-withSIX-Launcher-Downloader-ServerBrowser-FULL-ARMA3-Alpha-Support-more!&p=2494656&viewfull=1#post2494656

For the current setup you can find a doc here; https://docs.google.com/document/d/1K5gsMuvN1E_GGajrkcLzapEuHPN1eZZ68ok5hczfhQ4/edit

But there are still some issues we need to address before 1.5 stable release.

In the meantime we're getting ready to deploy our new repository and dedicated server tools, things should get a lot easier, better and clear with those in the mix :)

Address in build 631, given there are no pws 1.4+ settings under SIX Networks\Play withSIX appdata folders :)

I actually agree, it's quite a mess, but since it's the main place (and used by BI games) for user space files, we're inclined to follow it instead of Program Files, but we'll keep things configurable, any other user space folder is recommended too :)

Thanks Sickboy, I can confirm it's auto-imported and is working again :)

I noticed it shows some of my Modsets under Favourites and some under Collections, so I'm a bit confused about why they're separated like that but I'm sure it will make sense once I've had a chance to get used to it.

At least you're good enough to allow users to choose a different folder if they don't want to use My Documents, unlike most programs that just dump their files there without asking ;)

Looking forward to the new repo/server tools.

There are still lot of addons that are not available on PwS.

So i am curious ho is adding new ones on PwS are you guys picking what you want or addon makers need to contact you first? Can we players suggest or add some mods? Please explain it to me.

There are some good new addons like F/A 18 Super Hornet by John_Spartan & Saul...

Hi Ivan,

Please have a look over at http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147465-Play-withSIX-Launcher-Downloader-ServerBrowser-FULL-ARMA3-Alpha-Support-more!/page32

As to how to get content on the network, for now the request thread is over at; http://getsatisfaction.withsix.com/withsix/topics/mod_update_or_addition_requests_pt2

Hope this helps

---------- Post added at 10:01 ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 ----------

Added the FA18 on your request :)

Edited by Sickboy

@Sickboy, mate do me a favour make sure that EULA and credits section from this F/A-18 E/F add-on's README is displayed on download and is mandatory to be accepted.

same applies to Arma 2 version.

drop me a PM if any questions.

thanks'

John

@Sickboy, mate do me a favour make sure that EULA and credits section from this F/A-18 E/F add-on's README is displayed on download and is mandatory to be accepted.

same applies to Arma 2 version.

drop me a PM if any questions.

thanks'

John

Sure mate, done! (Active in a few)

Doing the A3 one now too, was unaware of it's existence :o

I too have been wondering and waiting for some addons to be added in PWS, but it has been very, very slow for a long time (like 3-4 months). I guess people are just lazy in requesting mods? Although I'm seeing a ton of requests yet to be found in PWS, from as far as 3-4 months back. In fact the reason why I'm even here right now was to check if the whole project has died (even A3 is still displayed as alpha), I'm glad that's not the case. :D

Are you planning on any better systems for adding addons and mods in the future?

Hi Nouty, thanks for your interest, we're definitely not dead, have a look at the links posted earlier for some background.

Also check our blog for v1.5 beta releases and other articles: http://play.withsix.com/posts, you'll find no alpha logo there,

also there are definitely mod updates going on, albeit slow.

We're dealing with finalization of our new platform and are dealing with some slight delays to make sure everything goes smooth.