Sign in to follow this  
hcpookie

ACR available on DVD (aka without Steam)?

Tried searching but didn't find anything conclusive. Call me old fashioned but I like the DVD media. Will it be available? I usually order through Amazon but it isn't showing up yet.

If it will NOT be available on DVD, what download options do I have where I can download the content WITHOUT installing a 3rd party installer? *NOT* a fan of Steam...

buy it from the BI Store, it'll download sprocket (345KB) then it connects to a server and downloads the file. After that you run the installer it downloaded and you're good to go. You can burn the file to DVD or back it up on a HDD or Flash Drive. After you get the file sprocket is no longer needed also.

ACR is sold as DLC. DLC stands for "DownLoadable Content". I guess this answers your question.

Like Doombug said, get it from sprocket and burn it on DVD.

:EDITH:

Just to prevent misunderstandings: sprocket.exe is nothing more than a download manager. Also like Doombug said, it wont install anything and after downloading the DLC you can simply delete the sprocket.exe.

Tried searching but didn't find anything conclusive. Call me old fashioned but I like the DVD media. Will it be available? I usually order through Amazon but it isn't showing up yet.

If it will NOT be available on DVD, what download options do I have where I can download the content WITHOUT installing a 3rd party installer? *NOT* a fan of Steam...

Totally agree with that, nothing like having a disc with the game on.

Still, I got it from BIS store (£7.99 or something similar to that price) and downloaded it, really just like a mod. But if you pay its nice to have something real for it.

If you buy it from Sprocket aka BI Store, you can download the files without a download manager. Just close the popup with the DL Manager at the beginning and follow the link on the download page to grab the installation file from a UK or US mirror.

Once downloaded you can burn the file on a DVD and have the same as a retail DVD, just much cheaper and faster.

Thanks for the info about the install file and about the Sprocket DL manager! Exactly what I needed to know :) It wasn't clear whether Sprocket installs a Steam-like service and always runs in the background. Did that for my stepson when he had his COD kick a while back and swore I'd never use that service again. THANK YOU BIS for not forcing us to install other junk! :)

Edited by hcpookie

Once downloaded you can burn the file on a DVD and have the same as a retail DVD, just much cheaper and faster.

Not if one is limited to mobile BB, unfortunately. I use most of my 3GB/month for work stuff. At GBP 15/GB for extra BW that download would cost me almost GBP 40 (though that's not the only reason I don't use Steam).

Guess I'll be sticking with the low-res ACR for a while until I can arrange to use a fiber or ADSL connection somewhere else.

If I were to order ACR on the BI store will I get a Steam activation key once it is released on Steam? Carrier Command does this with the supporter edition.

We don't sell a steam version of ACR on the store.