Sign in to follow this  
^Th0mas^

How is AI driving in the latest patch?

yes, once you've recorded, set "this engineon true" in your vehicle init line.

that way, the engine will be on, and you will have sound.

the only problem with this technic is that the wheels don't turn when you're turning or encountering a crossroad.

it's just like if the vehicle is slipping on the road.

anyway, it's a very good technic to make a convoy without being annoyed by the AI driving.

yes, once you've recorded, set "this engineon true" in your vehicle init line.

that way, the engine will be on, and you will have sound.

the only problem with this technic is that the wheels don't turn when you're turning or encountering a crossroad.

it's just like if the vehicle is slipping on the road.

anyway, it's a very good technic to make a convoy without being annoyed by the AI driving.

And what if convoy is ambushed?

Single AI vehicle driving is good now,convoy even on safe mode goes crazy from time to time.For example when I'm driving the lead vehicle in a convoy I still see the second vehicle steering left&right abruptly.Can't understand this because I keep a safe distance from second car and no objects on the road.Driving through a village in Chernarus or needing to enter on another street in Cherno it's like the freak circus is in town.

I have to admit,sometimes I get so pissed off that I simply shoot the drivers.:936:

Being an AI driver in my game is a very dangerous job.

Interesting to see this thread is an excellent display of why Arma is a "niche" game - and it will still be like that. Because gameplay is immensely sub-par (yes, AI driving is a big part of SP game play) and anything needed to overcome that and raise the bar to the barely acceptable is a big effort to any average/recreational gamer.

(and about the "niche", don't tell me about DayZ. Not surprisingly, no AI soldiers [well, AI behaves better as zombies indeed], no AI driving, no missions with triggers that don't work, only ONE mod that sill most people have a hard time installing without help from a friend or a few 3rd party software, and the like).

Many seem to think the driving is quite ok, provided you put some hugely time-consuming effort into avoiding the AI to drive, or a in-depth knowledge of the islands and their choke points, the waypoint system, and huge amounts of trial an error. And I'm not saying this is needed to build something amazing, no, this is just to get it barely acceptable.

Yeah you have a point,this is why you could never be sure in a mission if that convoy will reach its destination or won't be stuck in some craphole,or that air support will arrive in one piece or just being splattered in some trees.I'm afraid BI are making their games more complicated while the AI takes the backseat or can't simply keep up.

On their defense sadly not many games offer this kind of liberty,the engine that supports many type or numbers of units and the easy to use editor.All we get these days are very closed games with corridor levels where all the AI does is to point a gun at you and hide behind some crates(it's called tactical AI these days loool) and arcade gameplay.

Sadly I dont think the driving in ArmA 2 will be any good. Now I have my hopes up for ArmA 3.