Sign in to follow this  
camper

Weapons with lanterns?

Do you know if there is a weapon with lantern addon?

I think it can be done, or not?

I think what camper means is like a tactical flashlight.

But theres really no need for them when we have night vision. If u ask me I think NV is much better than a flashlight on the gun.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Jester983 @ June 21 2002,03:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think what camper means is like a tactical flashlight.

But theres really no need for them when we have night vision. If u ask me I think NV is much better than a flashlight on the gun.<span id='postcolor'>

true, true

But in real life not all soldiers have NVGs

(i was in the army i know...)

so i think its a greath ida...

PEACE!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RavenDK @ June 21 2002,02:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But in real life not all soldiers have NVGs

(i was in the army i know...)

so i think its a greath ida...

PEACE!<span id='postcolor'>

Ah very true.

Only police and military CQB teams put flashlights on the end of their weapons, using one in an open field at night would be comparable to suicide.

Why?

1. People could see your position from thousands of meters away.

2. The amount of light that would shine would give no you advantage.

Use NVG's

Tyler

thats why in Nam when they used flashlights they used Red. there is a reasion behind the use of a Red light but i cant reamber.

because red light is a single colour unlike white light so it casts wavelength is wider which means it doesn't show up for miles around. Also it is harder to pinpoint its exact source smile.gif cleaver huh?

A weapon with a flashlight attached in OFP would be great.

1. NV in OFP sucks bigtime...it's almost unusable

2. You can see much better with a light than with NV

True, you would give away your position, but that would be the payoff. All in all, I think it would be a great idea to have the choice.

I would really like to see a light. I made a few missions patrolling around at night in a jungle, and it just isn't fun with NVGs. You miss out on seeing lightning, muzzle flashes and other sources that you would in real life. Besides, as was mentioned earlier, many soldiers don't have NVGs anyway.

Cheers smile.gif

Mr B

I've just been back to an army base, and NV is really crap, i've never actualy used real NV before but it really sucks. You can only see a small bit of your vision with NV (TOTALY MAD TUNNEL VISION) (worse than the NV in flashpoint) and you can't even see as well as you can in flashpoint, the real name for NVG is Image intensifier, because it simply makes pritty dark things brighter and things in pitch black (and i mean almost no light) are still un-seeable! And if lights are so bad why don't they give the car and truck drivers NV instead of making them use headlights?

Also wouldn't it make sense to at least give torches(flashlight) to resistance? I mean how many poor little islands can afford image intensifiers?

You know what would be cool, everytime you check your map at night, you got to turn on a light to see the map. It's dark outside, but everytime you look at the map, it's so bright, like a 1000w spotlight is on the map. So, when at night, when you press M for map, it should be darker than it is. If you want to see the map, press some other button to get a red light on the map, so you can see the map, but it would be red, so seeing where the enemies might be a challenge.

Just another one of mine ways of getting the game that more interesting.

-=Die Alive=-

Fubar is right, nvg's in ofp suck big time. In the real life even first generation nvg's would be better than the ones in ofp. I love launching flares with the m16 with grenade launcher, but you can't carry a lot of them.

I think i saw a officer with flashlight in ofpec a lot time ago, but i didn't try it. You can try it if you want.

In the demo the soldiers had flashlights so I dont know why these guys dont, it was kind of dissapointing as I was hoping to communicate by morse code in mp games. biggrin.gif even though I dont know morse code that would still be cool

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ruskiesrule @ June 21 2002,12:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've just been back to an army base, and NV is really crap, i've never actualy used real NV before but it really sucks. You can only see a small bit of your vision with NV (TOTALY MAD TUNNEL VISION) (worse than the NV in flashpoint) and you can't even see as well as you can in flashpoint, the real name for NVG is Image intensifier, because it simply makes pritty dark things brighter and things in pitch black (and i mean almost no light) are still un-seeable! And if lights are so bad why don't they give the car and truck drivers NV instead of making them use headlights?<span id='postcolor'>

I agree with the tunnel vision thing, but while perhaps the Russian NVG's are crap, the ones I've used in the U.S. Army are quite good. They also flip up easily if you need them out of the way. But they give a HUGE advantage on most night time missions against an opponent that does not have night vision equipment. Of coarse alot depends on the amount of clouds and things like that but usually even on a cloudy night they still work fairly well.

As far as using a flashlight, as someone else mentioned that is pure suicide using a flashlight in regular infantry combat. You would NEVER EVER EVER EVER use that unless you are manning a huge spotlight on a guard post or something. And even that is not a good idea as they tend to draw a lot of fire during an attack. For those who have seen flashlights on weapons, look at who is using them. They are almost exclusively used by SWAT teams or for any type of operation requiring close quarters combat indoors. They are used not only to help illuminate a room but also for quick targetting.

They would be next to useless past 10 meters and in an outdoors enviornment would make you a quick and easy target. Lasers are also sometimes used however, but even these are not a widely used because the red laser is easily spotted by the enemy. What is used by some military forces are IR lasers that are only detected using NVG's or night vision scopes mounted on the weapon (with the laser). This way the enemy does not see the laser dot floating around on himself or his commrades unless he is wearing NVG's as well.

The downside is that with some (if not all) of the IR lasers you have to be careful not to point it at your own eye or your buddy's eyes because they can cause permanent damage.

At any rate unless you make the flashlights for SWAT style missions (maybe using Adammo's FBI unit addon which is excellent by the way) then a flashlight is a bad idea. Of coarse the AI in OFP will probably not know the difference but it's just not very realistic. The night is dark for a reason. What I think needs to be improved is that the AI should NOT be able to see as well as they do in the dark without NVG's. That part is very unrealistic in OFP. I hate getting shot from 200 meters by some Russian who doesn't have any NVG's. sad.gif

Depending on the cloud/visibility range settings, on most nights AI night vision should be limited to 20-20 ft depending if the enemy enters an area that is illuminated or not.

Anyways...that's something for BIS to work on.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ June 21 2002,14:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You know what would be cool,  everytime you check your map at night, you got to turn on a light to see the map. It's dark outside, but everytime you look at the map, it's so bright, like a 1000w spotlight is on the map.  So, when at night, when you press M for map, it should be darker than it is.  If you want to see the map, press some other button to get a red light on the map, so you can see the map, but it would be red, so seeing where the enemies might be a challenge.

Just another one of mine ways of getting the game that more interesting.

-=Die Alive=-<span id='postcolor'>

But what if you run out of batteries??? Then its useless. Im not giving up a clip of my own ammo to have a pack of batteries with me.

Anyways lets just take it that you do use a flashlight when its dark out on the map.

Speaking of your IR laser sight i think i have seen one at a gun show. anyways the person had a M16 with a starlight scope on it or night vishion scope one of the two and a laser site on the bottem. anyways he used it for varmet hunting he said as soon as the laser hit the fur or the target it would just glow. this this be what the IR laser site be like?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LBGS_Stewart @ June 21 2002,18:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Speaking of your IR laser sight  i think i have seen one at a gun show. anyways the person had a M16 with a starlight scope on it or night vishion scope one of the two and a laser site on the bottem. anyways he used it for varmet hunting  he said as soon as the laser hit the fur or the target it would just glow.            this this be what the IR laser site be like?<span id='postcolor'>

It's just like those laser pointers you can buy all over the place these days, except that the laser mounts either under the barrel of the weapon (and has adjustments to zero the laser on a firing range) or it is mounted inside the scope itself.

The IR laser however is invisible to the naked eye and the little dot can only be seen using night vision devices.

For hunting, some may use a high power infrared spotlight to better illuminate an area, however generally most animals that someone might want to hunt at night can see the IR light, so generally that's not a good idea unless it's an animal that tends to freeze at the sight of spotlights like deer.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Russian NVG is strange, its kinda brown, and i havn't seen it cept for in comache vs hokom. But i bet its helpful when your switching it on and off every so often, cuz that bright green could possibly stain your eye for a few seconds but the dark brown won't.

And the type of NVG i tryed wasn't actualy goggles, it was somthing to do with an observation post and you looked in two lenses which joined together into a middle lense, and you had to hold them like benocs! They wern't the ones that spec ops use like the SAS, i bet the ones the SAS use can see to the dead end of a 2mile long tunnel!

i'd also like to see thermal imaging, in the Challenger 2 tanks they have thermal. Which is so cool! I was also informed that the Challenger 2 tank is invinceable (cept from direct nuke hit), the only way to stop it is by blowing its tracks off, and that only stops it moving, it can still use its weapons! The armor on the C2 is one of the closest gaurded secrets in the British army and inteligent agencys!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ruskiesrule @ June 22 2002,01:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i'd also like to see thermal imaging, in the Challenger 2 tanks they have thermal. Which is so cool! I was also informed that the Challenger 2 tank is invinceable (cept from direct nuke hit), the only way to stop it is by blowing its tracks off, and that only stops it moving, it can still use its weapons! The armor on the C2 is one of the closest gaurded secrets in the British army and inteligent agencys!<span id='postcolor'>

err, this isnt about tanks, or armor, this is about guns with lights. wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ruskiesrule @ June 22 2002,01:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i'd also like to see thermal imaging, in the Challenger 2 tanks they have thermal. Which is so cool! I was also informed that the Challenger 2 tank is invinceable (cept from direct nuke hit), the only way to stop it is by blowing its tracks off, and that only stops it moving, it can still use its weapons! The armor on the C2 is one of the closest gaurded secrets in the British army and inteligent agencys!<span id='postcolor'>

Thermal imaging would be cool, but currently that's mainly used only on armored vehicles and aircraft in real life (it's very expensive technology). At any rate, I don't think any addon would be able to create the look of a thermal imager.

As for the Challenger 2 tank... NO tank is invincible. There are many ways to kill even the most heaviest armored tanks in the world. Heavy AT mines for example can destroy most tanks. Also most tanks are vulnerable in their rear section as well as on their roof unless they are equiped with large amounts of reactive armor on the roof tops. Fortunately very few 3rd world countries use "top-attack" weapons however some guerilla forces like the Chechnyan rebels, are highly skilled in firing rockets from steep cliffs or buildings down onto the tops of tanks and thus destroying them. They are also experts at making anti-tank mines. The Israelies for example have the Merkava main battle tank which is widely regarded as one of the most heavily armored tanks in the world. However they lost two to the Palistinians with the loss of most of their crews. They were destroyed by large shape-charged explosive mines that were detonated as the tanks drove over them. In addition often turret rings are vulnerable as are the optics and as you mentioned, the treads.

Finally a large Air to ground missile like the Maverick will most likely destroy any known armored vehicle as will laser guided bombs such as the ones the F15 Strike Eagle II's used to destroy so many tanks during the Gulf War.

At any rate tanks like the M1 and the Challenger 2 have yet to face the latest generation of modern anti-tank weaponry or air attack from fighter bombers and attack helicopters so it's unknown (except to the military) how well they would stand up to such attacks. The most lethal threat they faced during the Gulf War was probably Iraq's Milan guided missles, however I have found absolutely zero reports on their usage, leaving me to believe that the guidance system on these AT missles was successfully jammed or decoyed.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

i dont think thermal imaging will work, but im going to be trying to make a change from the nvg's to 'FLIR' it wont be proper flir as that works off of heat, it will basically be nvg's but grey-white/black instead of green/black and with no tunnel vision, im trying to make it for my uh-1n which has a flir on the nose so if i can get this working it can be put on blackhawks and planes etc...