Sign in to follow this  
markb50k

[SP] Apocalypse - Invade. Control. Conquer

Thats basically correct. So if you choose 1 - USMC and 4 - CDF, then when any group is formed, it will probably be CDF (4 chances vs 1 for USMC)

aaaaah ok thanks

Well, like you have already figured out, you can just steal a vehicle or take a damaged vehicle, fix it up and you're good.

Also, as you surmised, you can order one when you have enough reinforcement points. When it comes it will be fully crewed, and will join your squad when it arrives. Then you can order it to do whatever, attack bad dudes, land so you can get in, etc.

OK, thanks heaps for the reply :) I might start playing on a bigger map than Utes - I find that I either steamroll the enemy or they steamroll me on it (that is, one of us wins really quickly), so I never get above 2000 supply (I'm guessing a gunship/attack heli costs more than that). Now that I'm getting the hang of it (thanks to your help) I'll try to take on one of the bigger maps. Wish me luck, lol.

Version 3.5 (BIG UPDATE):

- update addon : support for newest VME PLA mod (China)

- update config : MARKB50K_Config_VMEPLA - updated to support newest VME PLA

- update addon : support for newest Bundeswehr Infantry (Marseilles77)

- update config : MARKB50K_Config_LOBOGulfWar - handle errors in MiG23, Su22, and MiG27 Swingwing scripts

- new : in map, clicking on ANY sighted group will give you a display of units/vehicles and health

- new : selected group will have a icon added to it so you can tell which is selected

- new : you can now do a couple of things with friendly groups not in your High Command through COMMS menu (0-8)

- recruit the whole group

- recruit a particular unit type

- while this group is selected, CTRL-click ANOTHER group you can have the two groups MERGE. Lots of times I see alot of friendly groups with 1 soldier remaining, now you can have them join up together.

- new HQ upgrade : RECRUITMENT DESK

- when deployed, ACTION available to call all nearby (200m) civilians over to you

- when a civilian is near, ACTION available to PAY a civilian (150 support points).

- Recruitment Desk also allows you to carry some money with you. While you are carrying the money, and you are looking at a civilian close to you, an ACTION is available to PAY the civilian.

- In both cases, when paid, a new PARTISAN will be spawned in the area and will join your High Command

- new HQ ability : FUEL CAN

- with the Refuel Upgrade, through an ACTION on the barrels, you can carry or have your soldiers carry a small FUEL CAN

- when you are looking at a vehicle closeby that needs fuel, an ACTION will pop up. Will add some fuel to vehicle.

- awards a small amount of support points

- new HQ ability : FIRST AID KIT

- from MASH Upgrade, through an ACTION, you can carry or have your soldiers carry a small FIRST AID KIT

- when you are looking at a nearby wounded soldier, an ACTION will pop up. Will heal soldier.

- new HQ ability : REPAIR KIT

- from Repair Upgrade, through an ACTION, you can carry or have your soldiers carry a small REPAIR KIT

- when you are looking at a nearby damaged vehicle, an ACTION will pop up. Will repair the vehicle a little.

- For REFUEL, REPAIR, and HEAL, selected soldiers and your HC groups can do all of these SPECIAL ACTIONs through the COMMS menu (0-8). However you will not gain support points if it's one of your soldiers doing the action.

- new : in USERCONFIG you can now have your STARTING and/or RESPAWN unit type RANDOMLY determined from all friendly forces.

- fix : several bug fixes/tweaks

Edited by markb50k

Version 3.6:

- update addon : support for newest PCDF mod

- new addon : SLOVENIA (SBP's Slovenia Infantry) (woodland/desert)

- new addon : BELGIUM (Aeneas's Belgian Infantry) (woodland/desert)

- new addon : Binkowski's Marines (woodland/desert)

- new addon : Vilas East Vehicles

- new addon : Vilas West Vehicles

- new addon : Vilas Dutch Army (woodland/desert)(beta, including AIFV and CV90)

- new addon : Vilas Characters (generic weaponholders) with new infantry armed with Vilas weapons from:

- reinforcements to BIS USMC, US Army, German KSK, and NAPA unit types

- US Army Woodland BDU

- US Army 2000 Desert camo

- US Army 1990 Desert camo

- Russia

- Russia Spetsnaz

- Russia Vityaz

- Russia MVD

- Russia VDV (Airborne)

- Independent versions of all Russian troops

- CDF (including recon troops)

- German Bundeswehr (older Flecktarn camo)

- German woodland specops

- Serbia (EAST) (+ RESISTANCE w/ included CONFIG pbo)

- Pakistan (WEST) (+ EAST & RESISTANCE w/ included CONFIG pbo)

- Norway (WEST)

- India (two camo types) (WEST) (+ EAST & RESISTANCE w/ included CONFIG pbo)

- Venezuela (RESISTANCE) (+ WEST & EAST w/ included CONFIG pbo)

- Lithuania (WEST) (+ additional soldiers w/ included CONFIG pbo)

- Latvia (WEST) (+ additional soldiers w/ included CONFIG pbo)

- North Korea (EAST) (+ RESISTANCE w/ included CONFIG pbo)

- Brazil (WEST) (+ EAST & RESISTANCE w/ included CONFIG pbo)

- Argentina (WEST) (+ EAST & RESISTANCE w/ included CONFIG pbo)

- Chile (WEST) (+ EAST & RESISTANCE w/ included CONFIG pbo)

- Colombia (WEST) (+ EAST & RESISTANCE w/ included CONFIG pbo)

- Georgia (WEST) (+ EAST & RESISTANCE w/ included CONFIG pbo)

- Iraq (WEST) (+ EAST & RESISTANCE w/ included CONFIG pbo)

- Generic troops in Olive Drab (OD) camo (WEST, RESISTANCE) (+ EAST w/ included CONFIG pbo)

- new config : MARKB50K_ConfigVilasCharacters (features listed above)

- tweak : Support groups patrol only safe locations (friendly camps)

- tweak : cursor actions (HEAL, REPAIR, etc) activated a little farther out

- new : RECRUIT action for soldier under cursor. Now you can recruit either through MAP or ACTION.

- tweak : empty vehicles now shown on map as either a important/combat vehicle (orange) or a unarmed/civilian (brown) marker

Thanks for the updates!!!

:yay:

Youre very welcome. I've been busy as you see, but mostly I have been playing the mission as much as I can to help smooth out some of the gameplay mechanics..

I have been trying out setting freindly forces to %50 strength and it creates an interesting playing experience. For at least the first few hours you dont see much difference, but soon enough friendly reinforcements run out and you really have to change your play style. Normally you can let the friendly forces work as normal and theyll do a generally competent job of killing as much as they lose, maybe slightly better. But once you know that you dont have an undending supply of friendlies you start taking control of more of them and I personally start saving up my points. Once i know my side is out of reinforcements I will then spend my points to place down some vehicle groups and air power. I establish a general defensive area to bring in the forces then try the whole High Command thing. Its a tough fight when you really have to kill at over a 3 to 1 ratio to keep pace with the enemy. Its tough.

Other things I have learned...

Panthera is an awesome island. I played several times straight on it, but there are some (alot) of issues with AI not being able to navigate all the mountains and small bridges across the rivers. Lost many AI drowning or falling of cliffs. So now I am trying Celle 2. Awesome map as well, and the terrain is unique enough without too much AI issues. I recommend whenever you pass over the north-south autobahn to knock down plenty of the guardrails lining the road so the AI can manuever east-west more easily.

Definitely utilize the map markers to identify empty vehicles. Quickly repair them by recruiting an engineer nearby or by getting the Repair HQ upgrade. Place a driver and gunner in the vehicle, and "release" them back to the AI. Great way of gaining support points.

Whenever possible, recruit single soldiers in un-searched towns and set them to search houses. they'll rack up 20-50 support points searching, and when they are done, "release" them and even-better, merge them back to their original group you recruited them out of.

Remember that if you can reform a gunship or helicopter transport AI group and they leave the battlefield successfully, a new group will form in your allies reinforcement crew. So, if your side runs out of air assets, and you can come across a badly damaged helicopter, repair it, crew it and "release it". If its a helicopter type you don't favor, You may also want to make sure that its low on fuel, so the AI will leave the battlefield and you may get even a better model when the group reforms on its return.

The thread's been very quiet, and if folks aren't playing it, thats fine. I am having a ball with it, and if people are playing i would love to hear their strategies. I am always looking at ways of tweaking the mission to perfect it, and I continually discover things I want to add to it as I play, but a different set of eyeballs is always appreciated.

Has anyone tried a "LOST" version of apocalypse, where you set your friendlies to 0, and fight a guerilla mission? Never attempted it, but I would imagine it would be near impossible but a great challenge. Would love to know if someone can beat the mission that way.

Hey, this is really a great mission, its like the mission i wanted for have my "perfect ArmA" !

My english is not really nice so i wont write much, but i really like how everything are in this mission, i like when reinforcement reduce much and just few unit still on the map, then everything its like more "calm" but more dangerous too, cause dont know where is ennemy and everything, and everybody who still be here must stay alive for win the mission. I really like the fact that the mission can be very long, with dynamic weather its just perfect. And mostly i like the war ambience, with all plane and chopper on the head, with JSRS sound mod its perfect.. and stressing!

I dont have really strategy yet, but i like and play a lot this mission :p

Also, if its possible to make compatible with this mod http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15293 it would be really nice

See ya, have good night!

Edited by benouyt

Could you explain the addition of some countries you listed above, like India or Brazil..or Chile or Argentina for example? Are these self made factions or is there a mod you need to have in order to use any of them? I felt that was unclear and when I tried to find them in the new version I didn't see them anywhere.

Hey, this is really a great mission, its like the mission i wanted for have my "perfect ArmA" !

My english is not really nice so i wont write much, but i really like how everything are in this mission, i like when reinforcement reduce much and just few unit still on the map, then everything its like more "calm" but more dangerous too, cause dont know where is ennemy and everything, and everybody who still be here must stay alive for win the mission. I really like the fact that the mission can be very long, with dynamic weather its just perfect. And mostly i like the war ambience, with all plane and chopper on the head, with JSRS sound mod its perfect.. and stressing!

I dont have really strategy yet, but i like and play a lot this mission :p

Also, if its possible to make compatible with this mod http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15293 it would be really nice

See ya, have good night!

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I can add in the Georgian Armed Forces. I hadnt noticed that there was a non-ACE config. I will use that.

---------- Post added at 10:38 ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 ----------

Could you explain the addition of some countries you listed above, like India or Brazil..or Chile or Argentina for example? Are these self made factions or is there a mod you need to have in order to use any of them? I felt that was unclear and when I tried to find them in the new version I didn't see them anywhere.

In order to get those countries, you need Vilas's weaponholder mod. He made a bunch of infantry models in different camos/organizations to show his weapons off.

you can find all his addons here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?85067-VILAS-addons-release-thread

(dont pay too much attention to the dates he put on each file listing, he's been updating these archives a bunch, and most are updated, specifically the West Weapons and the Combined Ops weaponholders

Thank you!

Also, just an idea for a next version, maybe there should be an option for have "landing invasion" like unit and reinforcement would spawn directly on land and reinforcement would come to player in some transport landvehicle, so it wouldnt be always air invasion with lot of paradrop, and add option like "Friendly spawn on land/air/both, ennemy spawn on land/air/both" you know, (maybe even sea with little boat if that would be possible). I dont say that paradrop isnt nice, it is really nice! but i talk about like, if player want play like guerilla style war, its more immersive to have unit on land and no paradrop.

Hope you understand, with my wonderful english x)

Great job Mark . I'm still getting some great play time of this mission..well I say mission but its more a grand war :P keep up the great work dude. the incorporation of the PLA is just awesome and one that I have wanted a long time so many thanks for this.

another thought, maybe the I44 version would be grand to . the tank play alone would be worth the playtime lol anyway. I love this mission and by far the best I have played!

regards

Metalvenom

yeah I am looking hard at I44. my only hesitation is its more than just a unit and vehicle mod, it adds all kinds of neat features (sorta like ACE) so I am not sure how it would work with the heavy controlled scripting i do in Apocalypse. But yeah, it would be awesome to see all those WWII units just turned loose!

---------- Post added at 21:10 ---------- Previous post was at 21:07 ----------

Thank you!

Also, just an idea for a next version, maybe there should be an option for have "landing invasion" like unit and reinforcement would spawn directly on land and reinforcement would come to player in some transport landvehicle, so it wouldnt be always air invasion with lot of paradrop, and add option like "Friendly spawn on land/air/both, ennemy spawn on land/air/both" you know, (maybe even sea with little boat if that would be possible). I dont say that paradrop isnt nice, it is really nice! but i talk about like, if player want play like guerilla style war, its more immersive to have unit on land and no paradrop.

Hope you understand, with my wonderful english x)

I totally understand what you are saying. there are some things i can think about to allow land reinforcements. I'll give it some thought.

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 21:10 ----------

Huh, very interesting. I don't suppose there are vehicles that go with the infantry though, are there? (in apocalypse I mean)

Vilas didnt make vehicles to go with these guys, although you could piece together something that makes sense.. like....

Brazil troops and Lingor GAL vehicles

or Norway troops and FDF Vehicles

with all the options i provide i'm sure there are a ton of possibilities.

Edited by markb50k

MarkB, fantastic work! This is a lot of fun! I saw earlier on the thread a complaint, and I also encountered an issue with the HQ's not having fuel. I recreated it twice in the same game. If you are in the driver seat of the HQ while unpacked and you cycle through interaction options to pack it up, it will not recover it's fuel once finished packing. I also encountered an issue where sometimes when I respawn on the HQ after death I am swimming about 10 feet in the air even though I am clearly on dry land. I had to abandon my last game because my HQ was being over run and every time I spawned next my HQ I was shot immediately due to me being slow, floating, and defenseless. Both the fuel and spawn swimming occurrences were on the island Lingor.

I must admit I am new to ARMA (and the forum, obviously). I just started playing this week after seeing an ARMA 3 demonstration and me thinking to myself 'I need to prepare for this soon to be epicness!' so... Things are still rough around the edges for me anyways, but these were two issues that I saw that were glaring outside of the strange AI...

Example of strange AI which I thought was funny: I was sniping at an infantry squad about 400-700 meters away (they were in a combat spread), and as soon as I fired the first shot, I was hit by a bullet from one of them firing back. I went to cover, and came back out to take another shot and accidentally stood up at my old spot, and... nothing happened. I realized the AI didn't actually see me but were just responding to the shot. My spotter was 3 meters below me in worse cover and wasn't even injured. Once I figured that out I shot and killed about 30-40 infantry switching between two vantage points not 10 meters away from each other after each shot. I almost felt bad... Almost.

Anyways, awesome work Mark. ARMA 2 plus your mod's and scenarios are a great breath of fresh air from BF3, and COD. I am actually taking my time playing a game, and spending hours getting lost in it. Thanks!

MarkB, fantastic work! This is a lot of fun! I saw earlier on the thread a complaint, and I also encountered an issue with the HQ's not having fuel. I recreated it twice in the same game. If you are in the driver seat of the HQ while unpacked and you cycle through interaction options to pack it up, it will not recover it's fuel once finished packing. I also encountered an issue where sometimes when I respawn on the HQ after death I am swimming about 10 feet in the air even though I am clearly on dry land. I had to abandon my last game because my HQ was being over run and every time I spawned next my HQ I was shot immediately due to me being slow, floating, and defenseless. Both the fuel and spawn swimming occurrences were on the island Lingor.

I must admit I am new to ARMA (and the forum, obviously). I just started playing this week after seeing an ARMA 3 demonstration and me thinking to myself 'I need to prepare for this soon to be epicness!' so... Things are still rough around the edges for me anyways, but these were two issues that I saw that were glaring outside of the strange AI...

Example of strange AI which I thought was funny: I was sniping at an infantry squad about 400-700 meters away (they were in a combat spread), and as soon as I fired the first shot, I was hit by a bullet from one of them firing back. I went to cover, and came back out to take another shot and accidentally stood up at my old spot, and... nothing happened. I realized the AI didn't actually see me but were just responding to the shot. My spotter was 3 meters below me in worse cover and wasn't even injured. Once I figured that out I shot and killed about 30-40 infantry switching between two vantage points not 10 meters away from each other after each shot. I almost felt bad... Almost.

Anyways, awesome work Mark. ARMA 2 plus your mod's and scenarios are a great breath of fresh air from BF3, and COD. I am actually taking my time playing a game, and spending hours getting lost in it. Thanks!

I'll check out the fuel situation on the HQ. but, make sure you are waiting for the "Packing is Complete. Ready to Move" message before you try to move.

As for the floating when respawning, normally if i move around a bit it corrects itself. ill see if there is another way around it.

@markb50k thank you for thinking about land reinforcement :) Maybe something else could be nice but not essential, it would be to choose from what faction you want reinforcement if its possible, so if you play like chedaki and russian on same side you can choose when you ask reinforcement if you want russian or chedaki squad, something like that. Just an idea

@cointreauversial when i have the swimming thing, i just save and reload the mission, and then im on the ground.

Panthera is an awesome island. I played several times straight on it, but there are some (alot) of issues with AI not being able to navigate all the mountains and small bridges across the rivers. Lost many AI drowning or falling of cliffs. So now I am trying Celle 2. Awesome map as well, and the terrain is unique enough without too much AI issues. I recommend whenever you pass over the north-south autobahn to knock down plenty of the guardrails lining the road so the AI can manuever east-west more easily.

Yes all of Icebreaker's maps are awesome (Lingor is my favorite)

With regards to AI yes you will want to stay away from any maps with bridges (unless you test them 1st for pathfinding - some are OK) or extreme elevations as like you mentioned the AI have difficulty with this

Maybe something else could be nice but not essential, it would be to choose from what faction you want reinforcement if its possible, so if you play like chedaki and russian on same side you can choose when you ask reinforcement if you want russian or chedaki squad, something like that. Just an idea

@cointreauversial when i have the swimming thing, i just save and reload the mission, and then im on the ground.

I do not plan on putting in anything that allows you to pick the faction of your reinforcement.

But, I have put in the following features for the next update:

- 'Infiltrate' setting - if you pick this, a side will attempt to use either land insertion or sea insertion when possible instead of para-dropping in. Working pretty solidly and definitely gives a different slant on the experience.

- Georgian Armed Forces mod

Also, for all the LOST fans, I can't promise anything but I am looking at adding a LOST mode to the apocalypse mission, that will play the mission as LOST. There is so much common code between the two missions, but Apocalypse has so many improvements i wanted to put in LOST but didnt, that its easier to start with Apocalypse, and add in LOST, then it is to upgrade LOST with all the Apocalypse stuff. Will take a while to put it in, if i can actually do it.

That sound good good, wait to see it, good work!

I tried your LOST mission today, its nice too, bit hard sometimes x) i like Jade groove with post apo unit, if you plan to do a new version of it you should see stalker unit by Icewindo too http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9795 , it would fit it perfectly!

Also, for all the LOST fans, I can't promise anything but I am looking at adding a LOST mode to the apocalypse mission, that will play the mission as LOST. There is so much common code between the two missions, but Apocalypse has so many improvements i wanted to put in LOST but didnt, that its easier to start with Apocalypse, and add in LOST, then it is to upgrade LOST with all the Apocalypse stuff. Will take a while to put it in, if i can actually do it.

This is exactly what I was talking about. Hope to see this happen.

I noticed in the last version that unit dont move much, i use ASR AI so i dont know if it can come from it or no, but for exemple, when i start mission with camp already owned by my side and ennemy side, on 15 groups, just 2 move for capture ennemy camp, the other are waiting long long time at camp without move. Also i just launched a game in Zargabad, without camp owned at start, and after 25 minutes of games the ennemy did capture only 3 camps, and squad wasnt move much in my side, only 2 squads and 2 btr was moving.

Firstly, can i give my praise for classy and outstanding work, out of three mod files i have currently downloaded, yours have been two of them!

Secondly, i have picked up a possible bug when using the HQ upgrades, i tried adding a static AA upgrade, and packed, unpacked the HQ. Packing went fine, but the unpacking seemed to hang, waited quite some time longer than normal, after a reload, i tried again, and after another long wait, it said the AA was emplaced, but the next line immediately said it had been destroyed. The rest of the unpacking proceeded as normal after that.

Finally, just a request, i noticed that you don't include the Zetaborn as playable in your mod, I do appreciate that it may well detract from people's immersion in the game, but if you or anyone else can give me some guidance as to how to add them in for my own purposes, it would be greatly appreciated.

Pob

I noticed in the last version that unit dont move much, i use ASR AI so i dont know if it can come from it or no, but for exemple, when i start mission with camp already owned by my side and ennemy side, on 15 groups, just 2 move for capture ennemy camp, the other are waiting long long time at camp without move. Also i just launched a game in Zargabad, without camp owned at start, and after 25 minutes of games the ennemy did capture only 3 camps, and squad wasnt move much in my side, only 2 squads and 2 btr was moving.

check the groups that arent moving. you can click on them on the map. what type of orders are they doing.

camppatrol - they will stay close to a camp area, some members manning static weapons. occasionally these guys will transition to longrangepatrol

longrangepatrol - move towards enemy camp. occasionally these guys will transition to camppatrol

man weapons - will always man static weapons. these are placed down if you chose DEFENDERS yes in the initial screen. They will never transition to a moving group.

you can also check the Vehicles in these groups, see if there are any static weapons listed.

My guess is that most of your guys are manning static weapons. If so, you can temporarily recruit that group, then have it UNASSIGN from its current vehicles (the statics), then RELEASE them and they will then go on patrol.

---------- Post added at 18:56 ---------- Previous post was at 18:52 ----------

Firstly, can i give my praise for classy and outstanding work, out of three mod files i have currently downloaded, yours have been two of them!

Secondly, i have picked up a possible bug when using the HQ upgrades, i tried adding a static AA upgrade, and packed, unpacked the HQ. Packing went fine, but the unpacking seemed to hang, waited quite some time longer than normal, after a reload, i tried again, and after another long wait, it said the AA was emplaced, but the next line immediately said it had been destroyed. The rest of the unpacking proceeded as normal after that.

Finally, just a request, i noticed that you don't include the Zetaborn as playable in your mod, I do appreciate that it may well detract from people's immersion in the game, but if you or anyone else can give me some guidance as to how to add them in for my own purposes, it would be greatly appreciated.

Pob

My guess on the AA is that you are in a heavily wooded or in the middle of town. the code will try to find an open spot to place the AA with enough room, randomly searching your nearby area. it can take a LONG time for it to find a good spot if you have a bunch of clutter around you. when it finally found a place, it must have been colliding with some object and it destroyed the AA. Try in an open area.

As for adding additional factions or stuff, ill see if i can come up with an easy way using your userconfig file to add in new stuff that i dont support out of the box.

Thanks for the feedback!

Edited by markb50k

@markb50k: Yes it was this, it was mostly gunner who was at machinegun and things like that.

For a next version, you think it would be possible to include more random "mission" ? like for exemple when you kill leader and you must take intel/map stuff, and then add mission like maybe capture or kill some resistance leader (if there is resistance) or opfor leader, go patrol some place where some peoples are suspected to hide weapon or anything and stuff, and then sometimes the place is like well defended, and maybe even add suicide bomber sometimes, in setting off course for the player choose. The suicide bomber would add something really dangerous when the player must patrol town for search house.

Some stuff can be like less conventional war, but for exemple, on a really long mission with many camp to capture, it would be nice to have some new random mission who happen in it, my idea is just an (not really good) exemple.

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of these kinds of sidetasks, but they need to be dynamic enough that I dont have to specifically code them.

I like making this mission for everyone to play, but to be honest, its kind of a selfish endeavor. Anything i put into the mission is something i want to be able to experience myself while playing it. so if its a highly scripted event that by coding it, i know exactly where the objective is and how to solve it, its not a good use of my time coding it because i wont even be able to enjoy playing it since i know the "mystery" about it.

Anyway, i am REALLY close to releasing the Apocalypse/Lost merge. The Lost mode plays slightly different than the old one only because you can now have jets and stuff, but i think its true enough to the original.

Just a bit more testing then i'll release it.