Sign in to follow this  
laggy

Cannot save missions from editor, not to SP or MP, is it a bug?

Please help if you can!

Just finished designing a pretty good mission and want to release it to the community.

But, when I try to save the mission to SP or MP from the editor, same procedure as in ArmA2... nothing happens.

I don't get the mission file (IFA) in any folder, nor does it turn up in the SP or MP lists of missions.

This is really weird, I have made missions since OFP and this has never happened before.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I hope I don't have to re-install.

Thanks in advance,

Laggy

I've had some troubles with the mission editor too, I think after saving your mission ( i.e. export to multiplayer/singleplayer mission) you have to restart the game for the mission to appear in the list.

My mission also cannot be exported from editor to the SP missions. In another forum I have read that also other players have this problem. Somebody even thought that it in principle is not possible to export a mission in Iron Front. The export for MP missions doesn´t work either. I have deinstalled the game and installed it newly again but it nevertheless doesn´t work. What can I do? Is this a known bug? If yes, then it should be repaired. :confused:

Funny I have no issues, all i can say is make sure your IF game is patched to the latest.

If your still having issues, then i suggest you post your issue on IF forums in the troubleshooting section and one of the devs can better help you.

The game is patched on version 1.05. I have postet the problem in two German IF forums. Unfortunately, people there do know only the problem, but not a solution.

Edited by Wüstenfuchs

dont you just save it as a USER mission then pack it up into a pbo using a pbo tool? This is how i make missions, with no trouble. I only make Multiplayer missions though.

Sorry guys i thought you were talking about ArmA my bad.:(

Okay, it´s possible to pack into a pbo und change it then to ifa, but this is not the normal way. I want export it to single missions in the editor like in OFP, ArmA or ArmA2, but it doesn´t work. I think, it´s a bug and should be patched.

Don´t have the problem with steam version of IF.

Do you have retail?

Are users able to install wrong patches (boxed<->digital)?

Hi Burns! I use the box version and the box patches. The endings of the patch file names are _disc.exe. I think "disc" means DVD.

hmm, seems alright as ESD patches would be the digital version so no wrong there...

I´d suggest asking Chneeman but he´s got steam version too afaik :x

I dont have Iron Front myself, but ill stick my nose into this anyway: could it be that the folder where its trying to save the mission is read-only for some reason?

Hi Toxim,

The Iron front editor is the same as Arma2CO's, except that Arma2CO's is more updated, but the functionality of saving as a usermission creates a folder with the mission name, with the mission.sqm inside.

The function of export does the same except that instead of just a folder being created the editor pbos's the mission, in IF's case it creates whats called an IFA file, which is basically the same as a pbo.

A pbo by the way is basically a zip file that the game can read.

So you have 1st the mission is created, whats created is the mission file itself, its called mission, and the script extension is SQM.

the 2nd process that occurs is the editor puts the file "mission" into a normal folder and then puts the title you saved the mission as for the name of the folder.

At the end of the folder is the extension of the map that the mission was saved on.

So for example, lets say you have a mission, and named it Combat, and the mission was built on Takistan (not an IF map btw)

The folder would look like this:

Combat.Takistan

for IF its the same exact thing, except when exporting you get the IFA file which also has the same name of the folder inside it.

And basically its not possible to make the mission file read only unless the OP physically went into his Iron Front Missions folder and

changed the properties for the mission to read only.

TBH I'm no really getting how one gets an issue like this, theres got to be more then what the OP is telling us, and something else hes doing,

or has done or not doing thats making it not work for him, as for example my version of the game I'm only running Iron Front:

"C:\Program Files\Iron Front - Liberation 1944\ironfront.exe" v 1.05 (latest Patch for iron front).

I been playing in the BIS series since its started, and have been in the editor as well since day 1, and as much as I have saved, and exported,

I have not once had such an issue with not being able to export, so this could be a bug, like mentioned, or something the op is not doing right,

IDK, but it sounds kinda of querky to me and makes no sense.

Also check for malware, I recall Shpaign in IF forums complaining his missions were messed up even though he hasn't touched them, and he discovered

malware on his computer, as soo as he rid it, the missions worked normal again for him. Just a thought.

Just start the game as administrator and all will be ok, i had the same issues in ArmA2 and IF aswell under win 8 i have to always run ArmA and IF as administrator and you'll have the permissions to write files in the System disk, in this case in the folder missions and MPmissions inside the main installation folder wich is in the System disk ( C: ) or whatever it is

you can make this: run as administrator thing, permament by right clicking on the shortcut in the desktop ->compatibility->always run as administrator

greetings

EDIT: actually the bugs present in IF are the same present in ArmA 2 CO or OA and nothing else

Edited by Simon1279

Thank you Simon, your solution works. I still have a further solution. The German publisher "Koch Media" has answered me the following on my demand:

"Dear customer,

many thanks for your inquiry. It can come to problems with the rights of lists on some few systems and like this it is not possible that missions can be exported by the editor successfully. The Steam version is not concerned by it. You can avoid the circumstance as follows:

- "Iron front liberation 1944" deinstall complete of your system

- "BattleEye for Iron front" deinstall also about the system control

- now install the main game, not into however this programmes list, but for example into the following list: > C:\AWAR\Iron Front - Liberation 1944\

- install all necessary Patches and updates "

I have tested it and this solution also works. You can export the missions without problems.

"Dear customer,

many thanks for your inquiry. It can come to problems with the rights of lists on some few systems and like this it is not possible that missions can be exported by the editor successfully. The Steam version is not concerned by it. You can avoid the circumstance as follows:

- "Iron front liberation 1944" deinstall complete of your system

- "BattleEye for Iron front" deinstall also about the system control

- now install the main game, not into however this programmes list, but for example into the following list: > C:\AWAR\Iron Front - Liberation 1944\

- install all necessary Patches and updates "

I have tested it and this solution also works. You can export the missions without problems.

^^ An excellent solution. Running IF (or any game, including A2) as administrator is preposterous and unnecessary. Another solution is to change permissions on the

C:\Program Files\AWAR\Iron Front - Liberation 1944\missions

directory to allow read/write access for yourself. That's what I have resorted to. I wish BIS would change the functionality so that all pbos/ifas are written into the user profile rather than the program install folders, which is a bad legacy from WinXP and earlier.

Many people use an admin account for daily PC use, which is a security risk and not at all recommended, but if you do, you will not have any issues with permissions when writing missions into the Program Files directory structure.

Note: A2 used to write pbos to this directory before I changed permissions on the install missions folder

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2

Edited by OMAC

I suspect the issue is that if you have installed the game to Program Files or Program Files (x86) in Windows 7 or 8, the game cannot write to that area if you are not an admin.

I never install games to Program Files for this reason.

If you look at the NTFS permissions on these directories you will see that they are more restrictive for non admin users and groups. One option, if you don't want to reinstall, is to make a symlink (junction, in Windows).

Say your Arma is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2

Cut and paste the "Arma 2" directory into eg c:\games\arma 2

then from a dos prompt:

mklink "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2" /J "c:\games\Arma 2"

so you have created a link from C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2 to the real location at c:\games\Arma 2 , which has got normal NTFS permissions.

This is also a good technique for spreading your Steam games onto multiple disks etc