Sign in to follow this  
cobra5000

Israel in ARMA3

I have few questions according to the new infomation of ARMA3:

1. Is Israel is the 2035's UN (United Narions)?

2. Where Israel is situated in the arma3 map - http://www.arma3.com/full/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/web_background_europe_map.jpg?

I hope if Israel will be a new BLUFOR or INDEPENDENT faction according to the new infomation.

Looking at that map and seeing where the ceasefire line is heading (To around the Egyptian/Libyan border) Israel is probably been taken over by Iran. And they signed the cease fire in Jerusalem as a sign of Iran beating the west. (Since Iran is on a roll according to the back story and NATO is getting beaten back)

I'm just guessing. Story could be anything.

May I remind everyone that this is the ArmA3 section? Any political discussion stops here and now before it gets out of hand. Thanks.

May I remind everyone that this is the ArmA3 section? Any political discussion stops here and now before it gets out of hand. Thanks.

Ok. The discussion of Israel is only in relation to ArmA3's story. That's all. But you should probably close the thread, because anything else that can be said would be speculation and would end up being a political discussion anyway...

Dude, right now, going by the story, it seems most likely that the new non-Islamic Iran allied (or made peace) with Israel.

Seeing as how the Jerusalem Treaty of 2034 was signed in Jerusalem, Israel may be a neutral country by then.

Hmm... If Israel is a neutral country, I wonder if the storyline has them making peace with Israel/the middle east, and then selling their equipment to their neighbors? Will be interesting to see how BI explains Iran using Merkavas and Namers.

I think the Iranians ivaded Israel and took care of the Israeli equipment, Now I dont know how important Limnos was to the Iranians but perhaps they used conquered vehicles as occupation vehicles instead of their own things, Germany during ww2 used much captured technology to patrol occupied areas.

Hmm... If Israel is a neutral country, I wonder if the storyline has them making peace with Israel/the middle east, and then selling their equipment to their neighbors? Will be interesting to see how BI explains Iran using Merkavas and Namers.

I think this is very likely. Which is to say, it's nuanced, realistic and less CoD-ish.

I think the Iranians ivaded Israel and took care of the Israeli equipment, Now I dont know how important Limnos was to the Iranians but perhaps they used conquered vehicles as occupation vehicles instead of their own things, Germany during ww2 used much captured technology to patrol occupied areas.

Unlikely - as final defensive option, Israel has large nuclear arsenal - enough nukes to turn most of the middle east to glass parking lot.

Unlikely - as final defensive option, Israel has large nuclear arsenal - enough nukes to turn most of the middle east to glass parking lot.

Exactly, which is why I was so outraged initially when I found out Iran was using Israeli tech. If they had invaded Israel would have gone nuclear, which would have involved Russia, China, and the US at the minimum, along with the entire Middle East. The world as we know it would cease to exist in any form other than a gigantic radioactive cloud, meaning ArmA 3 would have to be a "How long can you live underground" simulator. ;)

ArmA 3 would have to be a "How long can you live underground" simulator. ;)

Don't diss Metro 2033! :P

I think it's safe to assume in the ArmAverse Israel is not a major combatant any more. Quite why its lifelong archenemy is now jollying about in its tanks that were supposed to be decommissioned last decade is anyone's guess however.

It has been hinted that the OPFOR merkavas are standins for the actual Iranian tank, which either has not been revealed yet, or is a non-railgun armed T-100.

Well they still made a high quality Merkava model, and not for nothing.

Well they still made a high quality Merkava model, and not for nothing.

It is designated in the E3 videos as the M2A2 "Slammer" MBT. Apparently it´s the standard NATO frontline battletank in the theater.

i'm not sure the m2a2 slammer is the same tank with merkava...

The idea of Israel making peace with and supplying Iran (which to my knowledge would remain an Islamic state- though not an Arab one- in the 2030's) seems more than a bit absurd to be honest. Aside from the obvious and yet profound ideological barriers, Israel's nuclear armaments also all but eliminate such a possibility as others have mentioned. Sure, Iran seems like it may be well on its way to its own nuclear program, but that's irrelevant since Iran would ostensibly be the aggressor, since mutually assured destruction would presumably lead to a stalemate. I'm not trying to perpetuate a simplistic paradigm for viewing what is a complex situation, but let's face the facts: both Israel and Iran are about as politically polarizing as you can get, and the fact alone that each has a strong agenda of its own is arguably enough to preclude seamless cooperation between the two states. Either way, I think that the developers have quite a tall order ahead of themselves if they hope to reconcile the political situation ARMA 3 with that of the present (ignoring the fact that ARMA seems to exist in a parallel universe anyway) in any kind of convincing way, but if anyone can do it, I think BIS can.

Israel could be isolated economically and defeated strategically, put in a position where their nuclear weapons would be the only guarantor of their survival and any defense of the country would be desperate.

Nuclear weapons are useless in Palestine. They could only ever be used as massive retaliation on Iranian cities, in response to an attack, and that would mean total war that could ruin Israel. Both governments are actually fairly rational even today, and if the economic and military advantages of Israel were reversed, they would be very likely to negotiate peace in the face of Iranian nuclear brinksmanship. Both countries have come within a hairsbreadth of doing the unthinkable diplomatically in the past, whether that means recognizing a Palestinian state or disarming Hezbollah and nuclear facilities.

(which to my knowledge would remain an Islamic state- though not an Arab one- in the 2030's)

Iran has a nationalist coup in the Armaverse.

but that's irrelevant since Iran would ostensibly be the aggressor

That's a pretty big assumption. Read the news lately?

Israel could be isolated economically and defeated strategically, put in a position where their nuclear weapons would be the only guarantor of their survival and any defense of the country would be desperate.

Nuclear weapons are useless in Palestine. They could only ever be used as massive retaliation on Iranian cities, in response to an attack, and that would mean total war that could ruin Israel. Both governments are actually fairly rational even today, and if the economic and military advantages of Israel were reversed, they would be very likely to negotiate peace in the face of Iranian nuclear brinksmanship. Both countries have come within a hairsbreadth of doing the unthinkable diplomatically in the past, whether that means recognizing a Palestinian state or disarming Hezbollah and nuclear facilities.

Careful with the political talk (yes, it's a political issue). Iran takes over a weakened Turkey. YES, Iran is clearly the aggressor in ArmA3. They take advantage of a nation that has had several natural disasters (or one really big one?). While the Turkish military is most likely focused on helping Turkish citizens, Iran invades them at their lowest point. That's a vile move in my opinion, void of any morality, any ethics whatsoever. Sorry, you can say what you want, but clearly the Republic of Iran in ArmA3 is an aggressive nationalist nation. But once again I think the significance of the peace treaty being the Jerusalem Peace Accords is that Israel is not invaded. They probably are neutral (although they'd really be allied with NATO). Chances are, even if in ArmA3 Israel is allied with NATO, the Arab League probably negotiates the peace, and they probably choose Jerusalem as the location to sign because NATO probably put troops in Israel, Iran probably put troops in Lebanon, and so there would probably have been major conflict in Palestine and really close to Egypt, a member of the Arab League. They probably don't want any conflict near them, and they probably don't want any more conflict around Israel/Gaza, so they sign the peace treaty there. I wouldn't be surprised if the West Bank and Gaza are given to the Palestinians to form a state as a part of the peace. But I doubt Israel is taken over by Iran. It's just like N Korea taking over S Korea. It's a red line for the West, especially for the US. So, in the context of ArmA3, that's the best way to avoid any kind of real controversial issue and to avoid bringing of the topic of Israeli-Palestinian relations. Israel definitely wouldn't supply Iran; and, regardless of the fact that the Iranian government is now secular (in ArmA3), that doesn't mean that Iran will all of a sudden stop funding Hezbollah and stop supporting Hamas. I honestly wish that at some point ArmA3 would introduce Iran proxies. Israel would supply the Greek resistance before they supplied Iran.

I have few questions according to the new infomation of ARMA3:

2. Where Israel is situated in the arma3 map

Israel isn't on the map you linked to. It would be situated off the bottom right corner of the map a little ways.

Israel isn't on the map you linked to. It would be situated off the bottom right corner of the map a little ways.

I kinda tried to reproduce the BIS map, making one that showed more. And I kinda improvised a little for countries that weren't shown on the original map. I have Israel on this map. http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/184/arma3iafterritorylarge.jpg

ah. well done. have we gotten any info on the status of northern Africa, or was that your decision to make them all part of the arab league.

I just think that, any potential anti-Islamic motives aside, the Israeli state would have to at the very least renounce any kind of alignment with NATO for them to attain a reasonable status of neutrality (for any alliance with NATO would surely make them the most obvious target for Iran given their proximity). That decision would of course be quite extraordinary and would have to be justified somehow. I don't know though, signing a peace treaty in Jerusalem definitely implies either neutrality or that the battlefield of Israel has already run its course, so to speak.

Economically? There's an interesting idea... Well, I should mention that nuclear weapons aren't Israel's only military asset, but you have a point I suppose. Still, even if Israel was forced to make peace with Iran by account of MAD, that doesn't explain why they would want to supply Iran with weapons (especially since that would alienate NATO, which they will have depended on for political support for decades at that point), and that's the whole reason we're having this discussion. Perhaps I didn't phrase my post optimally, but I meant to argue that a tense peace arrangement would be the best one could foresee, far short of a de facto alliance or any kind of cooperative relationship as others have implied.

Ah, my mistake then.

Of course it's a big assumption, but one solely based on the intel we've seen so far (which lends itself to assumptions at best). The fact that Iran is clearly making a Westward push would merely suggest that they would be on the offensive; I wasn't trying to involve current political matters in that judgment. Edited by Pvt_Ryan