Sign in to follow this  
fredkatz

AI Heli Control 1.0

I think its already mentioned about adapting this to non team AI ... its needed, about the only thing missing to make it perfect. Waiting for that implementation before I grab the latest.

Even if the pilot is under my command can I tell him to land someplace and immediately take off once we're all out without issuing multiple orders? After looking at the downloaded archive it looks like an addon and not a mission script. I think this means people connecting to the server need the addon too. Too bad.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

You didn't look hard enough.

Just use the script version ... no problem with addons then.

Is it possible to set up a sort of combat insertion? What I mean is (before you get there) telling the pilot to land at a designated LZ, then immediately take off once all occupants are disembarked in one command? This would be perfect. I think giving the AI pilot multiple commands as you're trying to manage your own squad of infantry would be quite a challenge.

If I install this on my dedicated server or mission would the clients connecting need the mod as well? Would they be able to join and/or use the script without installing it in their game? I think if it's mission-based then it'd work but if it's addon based it doesn't?

The system already allows you to queue a landing command to the helicopter while it is in flight. giving the helicopter a command to move after unload, I do not think it can be done because using doMove the helicopter returns to formation after the chopper moves to the chosen position.

About the helitaxi:

How would be the best way to get the helicopters to be able to give a command to?

I have already started the dialog for controlling the chopper

How would be the best way to get the helicopters to be able to give a command to?

Do you mean non group AI? Use an array of most heli vehicles and add them to the external config so users can add third party helis to the array which trigger the dialogue? Mayeb have it so dialoge has drop down so you can scroll to heli in list to control and send command? I think alot can be done with CBA for this.

If you mean how to add to dialogue ... then maybe a radio button style option for toggle of whether heli moves away right after or stays? Or a "combat insert" option, that sends the instruction order for "drop/desembark/pull away" in one go.

Sorry I may have read what your asking wrong.

Edited by mrcash2009

I guess I should be more clear,

how would be the best way to get the helicopters on the map that could be controlled by the dialog.

I could use nearestObjects with a large radius but I think that I read somewhere that could create lots of lag

and I was thinking that the system should check to see if the pilot of the helicopter is the group leader, so it does not get transport helicopters under other players or AI leaders command.

Maybe check out the editing scripting section of the forum? Ask around on that or PM some decent scripters to drum up some help?

Some may not see this thread for what your asking and it is a little scripting specific, doesn't exactly help/ but maybe directing it to the right key places you will get some decent feedback to at least PM.

I was having a tinker in your code, and it seems that you could still use a forEach Allunits; which seemed to work, to pick up the helis/aircraft.

Not being a coder I couldn't work out how to control them however.

I reckon you want to be able to control ALL helis/aircraft, even ones under other humans control (in the first instance)

I can only say these things without scripting experience, but another way would be maybe introducing a module? So that users can place the module on a map and then sync it to whatever air unit they would like it active for? Then again that doesn't cover much of an auto exec feature.

I understand that CBA has alot of features, maybe delve more into that and see what there is for automating detection through CBA, might be more code friendly and optimised? Again, I talk out loud but dont quote me on it :)

BTW you could head over to Mando's part of the net and ask questions, he certainly know allot about this with his modules that detect all air units.

Well I have been working on the taxi portion of the heli extras system and here is the dialog so far

heli_extras_taxi.jpg

I was wondering about which features would be useful, so far I have:

• Move to Position
  • Insertion
  • Extraction
  • Land

All suggestions are welcome for features!

When you select "insertion" or "extraction" does it mean that once you get in, it drops to WP and then you dont do anything else and vehicle will take of once given go ahead (or auto?) and will know its original location to fly back to base nothing more needed? Or would we have to micro manage (not the best term) its waypoints throughout?

Once you board the heli will you have the open option to abort on the fly?

I assume this is all about control of vehicles not in your team.

As a suggestion what about CAS support? IE select cas support, place a waypoint it then flies around this area until you request a return to base? (although that opens issue on if heli has weapons). Or maybe on insertion you have CAS option as a secondary task if you want, and then a RTB for the heli?

Just in situations where you drop near enemy location and need that support right away before reaching your position on the ground temporarily.

BTW I really like the way you have adapted the dialogues into ACE, nice and seamless :)

Edited by mrcash2009

The idea right now is the buttons are for 1 waypoint or 3 waypoints, for the helicopter to move to,

on the landing options, the 3 waypoint option will be:

waypoint 1: ingress position

waypoint 2: landing position

waypoint 3: egress position

for returning the helicopters to base I was going to add a button to return to base by themselves. so hopefully no micromanagement on returning to base

I like the idea about adding CAS options to support insertions or extractions, I will have to add that but limit it to gunship helicopters like AH-64 and Mi-24 and others with weapons.

Thanks for this great addon fredkatz. Just one thing. With MMA and Heli Extras enabled, there's a bit of a problem as MMA uses LWIN to fire but that also brings up the Heli Extras menu. The Heli Extras config seems to have the RWIN key mapped to open it, but my keyboard doesn't have one of those, which I guess is why it triggers on LWIN.

Whilst the key for both addons can be remapped I was just wondering what other people have done, as it can be a bit hit and miss trying to find a key that doesn't clash with something else. I think I'd like to keep LWIN for MMA Fire so I just need to find an alternative for Heli Extras. I don't know if there's a utility to print out the current keymap for OA, as the profile file is encoded and going through the Control settings trying keys and seeing if they conflict with anything is a bit tedious. I think I'm using pretty much the default mapping, except B is mapped to Auto-Hover (as well as Binoculars which aren't used in choppers anyway) as this was advised by some mod (which one I can't recall) but also the default \ key never worked for me anyway.

The last time I checked the keycode is for the LWIN Key, and it opens when I push LWIN, Maybe there is a error in the keycodes

for the next version I could add the ability to add Shift, Alt, or Ctrl key modifiers, so you could push Ctrl+LWin or other combination

I hope that helps

Edited by fredkatz

It's set to 219, which it says is WINR and 220 is WINL. I thought it was only triggering when I press WINL because I don't have a WINR, but maybe ARMA can't distinguish between the two.

But if you could add modifiers that would be great, as there's never enough keys for everything in Arma ;)

i still don't get it, how to make AI fly, land, insert or pick up, like it should be..no matter what i do..the only thing thats working is the different heights

i still don't get it, how to make AI fly, land, insert or pick up, like it should be..no matter what i do..the only thing thats working is the different heights

I'll do you a video - but it will have to be tomorrow now - I have already stayed up too late!

Ok it's not that i'm stupid, maybe it's a conflict with another addon...maybe.

Another question would be, is it working better if i'm also passenger of chopper, or is it exactly the same when i'm on the ground?

Like yesterday, i was in a town on lingor, needed a ride. I ordered a littlebird from base , selected pilot , told him via map to fly to my pos. When he almost arrived, i opened up heli extras in ace menu, marked lz and pressed land. It was displayed in blue but he did not land, i think combat pickup worked, he went down, but dusted off immediately.

I dunno, this addon is just perfect for me, but i finally need to learn how to use it :)

Just in case someone finds it useful, here is a quick video...

qzm2BIVIEOk

k' ill try it out again.. but you have to move the chopper manually close the the LZ and then press land ? it's not working if he's like 1km if you press land ? and do you have a link to the matching fastrope addon from norrin? have to take a look, which choppers are supported..maybe fred should add the fastrope link in the first post

its not working for me with ace ..when i want to select the heli in the drop down menu like in your vid, i don't have the unit number , it only says :-UH-1Y Venom .. Also when i wanna fastrope, i cannot select the chopper , then it's greyed out. But when i don't select the chopper, it's available and it works.. Regarding your Vid, i assume you don't use ACE right??

Edited by Fruity_Rudy

k' ill try it out again.. but you have to move the chopper manually close the the LZ and then press land ? it's not working if he's like 1km if you press land ? and do you have a link to the matching fastrope addon from norrin? have to take a look, which choppers are supported..maybe fred should add the fastrope link in the first post

its not working for me with ace ..when i want to select the heli in the drop down menu like in your vid, i don't have the unit number , it only says :-UH-1Y Venom .. Also when i wanna fastrope, i cannot select the chopper , then it's greyed out. But when i don't select the chopper, it's available and it works.. Regarding your Vid, i assume you don't use ACE right??

Sometimes it doesn't land at the landing point - you have to move it quite close. This is the same as when you issue a 'land' command to a specific pad - it tends to land where it is if the pad is some distance away.

The video was shot without ACE, but I do use it with ACE, only instead of Norrin's script I use the ACE fastroping in conjunction with Robalo's ASR script (allows AI fastroping in ACE). I'll check this is all still working later on today.

FYI, Norrin's fastroping can be downloaded via this link.

so i don't need norrins rope script, when i select fastrope, it's using the ace rope system instead??

so i don't need norrins rope script, when i select fastrope, it's using the ace rope system instead??

Kind of!

First of all I use a modified version of an early script by fred - you can find the modifications in this thread in this post.

You will also need the ASR mod

Then you can use the Heli-script in just about any helo, and you will be able to use the ACE Fastroping from inside the helicopter. Note that this is totally separate to the Heli-Script. You will still get the option in the heli script to use fastrope but this will attempt to call the Norrin script. Use the ACE interaction menu instead to deploy the rope, and then the action menu to fastrope. You need to remember to put some ACE rope in your backpack first.!

I did another little video ages ago using this...

FYTnBM-Agsc

Edited by Jedra
Added a different video

If I want to run this on my dedicated server do I need it on the client and server, just client, or just server?

i only use it as client and it works..fred, any plans on updates, like slider for heights that you mentioned?