Sign in to follow this  
Alwarren

FHQ WIP Thread (contains lots of images)

Here's a few shots of the new MSR. Currently, I am working on the XM2010.

render2f.th.pngrender4h.th.jpgrender3m.th.jpgrender1c.th.jpg

(click for larger)

Currently, it's missing a few details, like a few screws and bolts, and the groove for the accessory cable on the shooter side. High-res model, around 480k polies.

*sighs* Need to turn these three into low-poly and unwrap them... the pain...

Looking good. If you need testers... id be more than willing to help out... Heheheheheheh ;)

Looking Nice!, good amount of detail so far other than the small pieces around the stock and bolt that are missing (though probably covered by the characters hand anyway)

looks like most of that detail is in those bipod springs :D

By the way are those going to be folded, unfolded or foldable?

Can't see in the renders but is there a muzzle break on it at the moment?

FYI: The action/bolt in Remington rifles are circular not Hexaganal (Unless you where trying to save 60ish poly out of the 480,000, lol) and a reason some shooters don't like Remington actions as some do not think they seat as well in the chasis as a square/hexagonal bolt that sits snug and tight.

Edited by Scarecrow398

Looking Nice!, good amount of detail so far other than the small pieces around the stock and bolt that are missing (though probably covered by the characters hand anyway)

looks like most of that detail is in those bipod springs :D

The bipod springs are done using the screw modifier in Blender, it's easy to achieve this effect, and I already wish I had used less polies there because of the slowdown they cause :)

What small pieces are you referring to?

By the way are those going to be folded, unfolded or foldable?

I don't know yet, probably not. It would require too many models, and the addon will already be quite big.

Can't see in the renders but is there a muzzle break on it at the moment?

Yes, there is. It looks like on the pictures on this page.

FYI: The action/bolt in Remington rifles are circular not Hexaganal (Unless you where trying to save 60ish poly out of the 480,000, lol) and a reason some shooters don't like Remington actions as some do not think they seat as well in the chasis as a square/hexagonal bolt that sits snug and tight.

The shape of the bolt is a relic of the shaping of the bolt cap, which is hexagonal for the MSR. I didn't think of it, I'll correct it. Basically, the loop cuts I made to sharpen up the end cap also show on the bolt itself, I need to move them around a bit to make it appear circular.

Thanks for the feedback :)

I don't know yet, probably not. It would require too many models, and the addon will already be quite big.

First thing... Thats what she said...

But on a more serious note...

Second thing is you know what they say, Go big or go home. If you going to have a large file size you might as well add the bipods in (eventually) or make a seperate pack with the snipers and one with the ACR's

First thing... Thats what she said...

:)

But on a more serious note...

Second thing is you know what they say, Go big or go home. If you going to have a large file size you might as well add the bipods in (eventually) or make a seperate pack with the snipers and one with the ACR's

I was thinking about splitting the assault rifles and sniper rifles. The issue with deployable bipods and the like is that it will require CBA to do that, I don't think that it works without. It would have been great if custom animation sources would be possible with the ARMA engine, but as far as I know, that's not possible.

Unfortunately, using proxies isn't really an option either. Leaving the proxies in makes the weapon show up correctly when being held by a soldier, but both the armory viewer as well as putting them on the ground makes all proxied stuff disappear.

Hi:

Fine looking rifles I hope the texturing issue comes right cause in modeling some times is more important the texturing than the modeling part. hoping to see new screen shots and a release date.

Also could you please change the posting image site cause in some navigator (like mine) it doesn't show all the images.

Edited by DartShinigami
forgot some questions

Thanks! I'm afraid I cannot tell a release date yet, but here's more screens. Sorry for using ImageShack again, I'll see if I can switch the site to something else. For some reason, the colors on ImageShack somehow always come out more dull than they look in Blender.

In any case, here's some new screenshots. This time, it's the XM2010 (yeah, I was in some kind of spree) with the preliminary AN/PAS-13(V) thermal weapon scope.

rrender2.th.pngrender5y.th.pngrender4.th.pngrender3.th.pngrender1s.th.png

(as usual, click for larger images)

The XM2010 is mostly finished, just a few touches missing. This version has a silencer, but the silencer can be removed (there is a muzzle break underneath). As usual, these are the high-poly models, no texturing.

The bipod springs are done using the screw modifier in Blender, it's easy to achieve this effect, and I already wish I had used less polies there because of the slowdown they cause :)

What small pieces are you referring to?

The small screws and release for the stock http://cdn5.thefirearmsblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/rem_xm2010_2-tfb.jpg

Though as i said most of it probably won't be seen other than in the armory anyway.

That PAS-13 looks awesome too, nice work (yea, im running out of complaments) :)

I am really looking forward to your weapon pack, the idea that I will finally have some flexibility in dedicated sniper system selection (NV and suppressors) instead of just toting around the Mk17 with the suppressor and the TWS, I cannot thank you enough for your work so far.

I cannot wait, this will fill a gap that should have been filled long ago.

I am in complete agreement with startrekmike, this rifle will finally fill a much-needed void that has been open for a long time.

Not only will we have the bolt action but a supressed semi auto with Night Optics.

Thanks guys :)

I've been experimenting with new texturing techniques and have now come up with this WIP texture (the gun only; the aimpoint is still the old texture, and I now realize how ugly it looks). It's got its flaws, I'll repaint it because I have some issues between the left and right side, but just to show the progress, here's a screenshot:

arma2oa2012060401432676.th.png

(click for larger)

Note that the tigerstripes are just a doodle, they're a separate layer that I can disable (dunno if I'll keep them). I tried to paint in shading to accent the bump map, and added a dirt layer to make it look a bit worn. And I just noticed that the wire of the LLM01 clips through the rails -_-

Again, looks real nice Alwarren. Everything seems to be coming along nicely.

This is the more or less final version of the ACR desert camo, aptly being held by a solider of the ACR:

arma2oa2012060515551118.th.png

(click for larger)

<3 simply love it.

Told ya you can become rly got at texturing if you simply try to apply something from an image with the regular tools. You will become a even better addon maker. Dang you can already do twice the ammount i can,

<3 simply love it.

Told ya you can become rly got at texturing if you simply try to apply something from an image with the regular tools. You will become a even better addon maker. Dang you can already do twice the ammount i can,

Thanks, fluttershy, you're also to "blame" for this ;)

Since my modeling and texturing skills are nowhere up to Alwarren's standard, I decided to go for a different addon type: Islands. So here is the first batch of screenshots from my current project:

arma2oa2012060600205546.th.jpgarma2oa2012060600155203.th.jpgarma2oa2012060522272618.th.jpgarma2oa2012060402542781.th.jpgarma2oa2012060402535017.th.jpgarma2oa2012060203150888.th.jpg

Some more:

arma2oa2012060203133221.th.jpgarma2oa2012060119281124.th.jpgarma2oa2012060103385038.th.jpgarma2oa2012060103320749.th.jpgarma2oa2012060103315280.th.jpgarma2oa2012052600061599.th.jpg

Note that this is currently also a work in progress, no release date, no guarantee that it will be released at all, it's just something I took up and I got into it.

The terrain is a fictional southern German town that will feature a very mountainous landscape. The map is 2x2 km in size (I'd like to start small, it's my first island after all) with a grid of 4 m

More on my Facebook page.

Nice job, looks pretty good, even at 2x2 you may as well release it and do something like bushlurker and make small high detail maps.

Anybody knows where to find good reference pictures? I tried the link that RobertHammer posted on this thread earlier but that does seem to be defunct.

I am looking for good pictures of the DNS-AN/PSQ-18A grenade launcher sight, but I can't really find anything that is of decent enough quality to serve as a reference. If anybody can help I'd appreciate it.

Anybody knows where to find good reference pictures? I tried the link that RobertHammer posted on this thread earlier but that does seem to be defunct.

I am looking for good pictures of the DNS-AN/PSQ-18A grenade launcher sight, but I can't really find anything that is of decent enough quality to serve as a reference. If anybody can help I'd appreciate it.

How about these?

an-psq-18a_m203-day-night-sight.jpg

an-psq-18a-dns.jpg

HPIM1610.jpg

_M203_AN-PSQ-18A_03.jpg

http://www.militaryblog.jp/usr/flatairsoft/DSC03622.JPG (158 kB)