Sign in to follow this  
Alwarren

FHQ WIP Thread (contains lots of images)

The camo texture on the Eotech looks a bit small and intricate compared to the ACR itself - you might consider upscaling the camo to match the weapon body proper. Lovely, otherwise. :)

The camo texture on the Eotech looks a bit small and intricate compared to the ACR itself - you might consider upscaling the camo to match the weapon body proper. Lovely, otherwise. :)

True, good point. I didn't even notice...

The magnifier I got from a picture of the XCR which had an Eotech with scope on it. No idea what model or make it was. If I find some reference pics from an official EOtech magnifier, I am going to remodel that. That Aimpoint scope also looks good :)

---------- Post added at 13:36 ---------- Previous post was at 13:34 ----------

Yeah, guess that's true. I used a reference picture of a pretty beaten-down ACR, but that was mostly the camo paint scratching off. My mags don't have camo, so there isn't any paint to scratch :)

Probably a demo model they send out for review..

Anyway, there seems to be a few EOTech Magnifiers out there, the most common one i see around seems to be this 3x mag (Most Images are greater than 100kb)

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/5904/dscn2855v.jpg

http://www.armeriaproseg.com/images/magni%20x3.jpg

http://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/ekmps/shops/tacticalkit/images/eotech-3x-fxd-magnifier-3193-p.jpg

But it seems they've been replaced by these L3 style magnifiers though

http://www.eotech-inc.com/images/400x400/product/G23FTS-Tansm.JPG

And this style

http://blog.tacticalstore.com/uploaded_images/EOTech-Magnifier-711495.jpg

And for referance on how they mount: http://images1.opticsplanet.com/365-240-ffffff/opplanet-eotech-3x-magnifier-generation-2-w-flip-to-side-mount.jpg

And some random referance photos from Afghan of Australian SOTG Designated marksmen using them on their 417's (Sorry for the bad res, they where cropped down)

http://i.imgur.com/ppycJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MSgvV.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, Scarecrow. I'll probably go for the first one, that seems to be the most common and most recognizable one :)

LLM01 (Laser Light Module) lowes version with bumpmap and ambient occlusion. For some reason, I cannot render it, although it looks fine in game.

llm01.th.jpg

(click for bigger size)

I picked the LLM1 because it is flashlight and laser in one, and since none of the Remington guns is actually fielded, there is no need to restrict it to specific Army equipment :)

Thanks for the pictures, Scarecrow. I'll probably go for the first one, that seems to be the most common and most recognizable one :)

Yea all the military photos seem to have the older ones, maybe they're better build or cheaper (Screw paying $400 for a new one :D)

LLM01 (Laser Light Module) lowes version with bumpmap and ambient occlusion. For some reason, I cannot render it, although it looks fine in game.

I picked the LLM1 because it is flashlight and laser in one, and since none of the Remington guns is actually fielded, there is no need to restrict it to specific Army equipment :)

Nice choice, its nice and small to rather than a Peq-15 and surefire. (which nearly all demo's and existing arma ACR's use, that and it reminds me of the G36)

New WIP of the Aimpoint CompM2:

render1d.th.pngrender2e.th.png

(click for larger images)

These are high-res versions obviously.

Nice, looking good Alwarren. Nice to hear some news, thought this project went down the tube for a while. Keep it up!

Alwarren, bout the ATACS Camo.

As soon as you need a good big pattern just ask, i contacted the company for my units and they helpfully did send me a big texture picture, rather then the once you find on the interwebz these days.

Aside from that - can i have your babys? they will be super talented addonmakers ^^

Very nice, you can see your detail in your models getting better and better with time :P

I had a bit more time to work on the weapons recently, so here are two new screenshots. This is the new frontgrip and Aimpoint CompM2 in desert camo.

arma2oa2012051100044685.th.jpgarma2oa2012051100035878.th.jpg

(click for larger images)

I also reworked the desert camo on the ACR. Minor weirdness on the brass deflector and on the barrel. Aimpoint front reflection filter is only frontfacing, so it doesn't block view from behind.

OMG I CAN'T WAIT! Keep it up Alwarren. Quick question though, are the acog scopes going to have a reflex cqb sight on top of them? If not, well, i think you should do that.

Nice work Al,

found a minor mistake: the flashhiders front isnt textured as well as the front piece of the gasblock. Plus it seems like the ambidextrous charging handle is missin ^^

OMG I CAN'T WAIT! Keep it up Alwarren. Quick question though, are the acog scopes going to have a reflex cqb sight on top of them? If not, well, i think you should do that.

Thanks :) Yes, the ACOG scopes will have a red dot on top. Since you asked for it, here's a picture of the hires version, untextured yet:

acoghighres.th.png

(click for larger)

EDIT: Hmmm, looking at my reference pictures again, I think the CQB sight is a bit too small.. It needs to be wider, and the base needs to be a bit higher.

Wow, the honeycombe/killflash looks amazing, nice job.

Thanks :) It's merely a bump map, the thing is a single triangle fan.

found a minor mistake: the flashhiders front isnt textured as well as the front piece of the gasblock. Plus it seems like the ambidextrous charging handle is missin ^^

Thanks fluttershy :) Yeah, it looks like there is a texture missing, but it's actually the specular highlight being too bright, making it appear white. I will tone down the shininess of the barrel, it shouldn't be that shiny anyway.

About the charging handle, all pictures of the ACR I have seen have only one charging handle on the left side, and a small stub on the other side. You can actually move the handle to the other side. I guess I should make the stub at the right side a bit longer, but if you look really close, you can see it ;)

I also made the charging handle non-reciprocating during normal fire, since that is one of the ACR's features. It will only go back when the magazine is empty, and the bolt will stay open.

By the way, I tried the ATACS camo you send me, but no matter what I did the result looked greenish, so I reworked my own camo a bit since it looked more desertish :)

Edited by Alwarren

Alwarren - very nice going , i like that :) ,but i have suggestions for you

1. always use quality and proper reference pics , like this site http://www.pixagogo.com/DeicideNBF

2. you should work on the textures , not just paste Camo on it and done - also make the normal map a little bit more visible

I hope you understand what i mean and good luck with your work :)

That Acog looks very nice but im still going to be a asshole :P

Looks like you doctor was based off a knock off? :(

Le here is a Doctor example:

http://i.imgur.com/NbgvT.jpg

its a seprate sight with detachable 'Wings' to prevent damage when knocked:

http://www.docterusa.com/_mgxroot/page_10775.html

Actually, my CQB sight was based off the Trijicon RMR sight, seen here mounted on an ACOG, not the Docter sight (It's Docter, by the way, not the medic, to be an asshole myself :P)

---------- Post added at 14:42 ---------- Previous post was at 14:33 ----------

Alwarren - very nice going , i like that :) ,but i have suggestions for you

1. always use quality and proper reference pics , like this site http://www.pixagogo.com/DeicideNBF

2. you should work on the textures , not just paste Camo on it and done - also make the normal map a little bit more visible

I hope you understand what i mean and good luck with your work :)

Thanks for the link, and thanks a lot for the input. You obviously have a LOT more experience with this stuff than I have :)

I didn't know that web site, I usually look up images on Google Image search. Unfortunately, that more than once turns up Airsoft replicas. For the ACOG and Aimpoint, I went directly to Trijicon's and Aimpoint's web sites for references.

Texture work is my weakest point. I can't paint even if my life depended on it. I usually try to go with the camo paint and then add things like mud splats, text/serial numbers, and other stuff like that, but my abilities are VERY limited with that. Also, I usually unwrap them automatically with Blender because I paint then with blender as well - with an appropriate weighting on Area, most of the larger areas like the sides of the receiver end up being unwrapped pretty well. Bottom line, though, I don't think I can do much better with the textures :D

I am not quite sure what you mean with making the normal map more visible?

Texture work is my weakest point. I can't paint even if my life depended on it.

It's actually one of the main reasons why I didn't continue with my sniper rifles yet. I just can't get decent textures. My biggest problem is always the unwrapping, I have not yet managed to get a good unwrap of any model. The textures I tried also tend to become too lowres, even at 2048... Maybe I should just try a side projection for the main body of the gun and see what it gives...

Pure side projection probably won't work too well since it results in quite a bit of distortion. Blender's smart projection isn't bad if the area weight is 1, but it tends to fragment things like the rails into a myriad of small single polygons.

Alwarren if you hand me a unwraped version of the texture i will see what i can do to help ya boi ^^

I know some things arround texturing ya know

Alwarren if you hand me a unwraped version of the texture i will see what i can do to help ya boi ^^

I know some things arround texturing ya know

I might come back on that, but be warned that my unwrapping is... weird :D

You still using Blender for unwrapping?

Edit; Nvm, saw you where using auto unwrap, have you tried exporting and trying something like 3DS Max or Maya?

---------- Post added at 04:50 ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 ----------

Actually, my CQB sight was based off the Trijicon RMR sight, seen here mounted on an ACOG, not the Docter sight (It's Docter, by the way, not the medic, to be an asshole myself :P)

Touché on both counts my good sir, i thought you may have been basing it off of a airsoft copy :P

Texture work is my weakest point. I can't paint even if my life depended on it. I usually try to go with the camo paint and then add things like mud splats, text/serial numbers, and other stuff like that, but my abilities are VERY limited with that.

Same here :P i was recently talking to a 3D Game artist when i was working on a vehical and he was saying the biggest challange by far of getting assests for use in game is texturing and even harder again in the way the arma engine handels it rather than other game engines