Sign in to follow this  
stgn

STGN's WIP

I apologize for salivating uncontrollably, STGN.

Thanks for the compliments guys really appreciate it! Yes the green line is suppose to be the Velcro for mounting the MILES system. As its almost ubiquitous for operational Abrams tanks of the period and its always been part of the character of the Abrams to me. Plus I think it looks way cool.

My plan is first to finish this basic 1986 M1A1 then make a 1985 version(no CITV hole and a few other details) and a 1988 M1A1HA(different smoke grenade box, GPS housing) when that is done I want to make a M1IP and a late M1 with bustle rack. Followed by the early M1. I am planning on keeping them in the eighties for a long time. When I am done with these I think I want to work more on some other projects I am not that interested in the most modern versions at the moment though I sometimes think about making the exterior parts for a M1A2.

STGN

My plan is first to finish this basic 1986 M1A1 then make a 1985 version(no CITV hole and a few other details) and a 1988 M1A1HA(different smoke grenade box, GPS housing)

M1A1 was first fielded in 1985 and to 1988 it was not changed. 1988 M1A1HA is internally and externally just the same as 1985 M1A1, just have stronger armor protection. I think You confused a 1990's M1A1HC that was a common heavy armor variant between US Army and USMC, although USMC tanks have different smoke dischargers and some other minor modifications.

M1A1 was first fielded in 1985 and to 1988 it was not changed. 1988 M1A1HA is internally and externally just the same as 1985 M1A1, just have stronger armor protection. I think You confused a 1990's M1A1HC that was a common heavy armor variant between US Army and USMC, although USMC tanks have different smoke dischargers and some other minor modifications.

I disagree:

abramsm1a1.th.jpg

The side storage rack changes between M1A1 and M1A1HA also it becomes a simpler version.

STGN

Ahhh You mean smoke granade storage box, I confused it with smoke dischargers, sorry my mistake. ;)

If I didn't know where I am. I would have thought that it is for the ArmA3. :p

Don't know, it's a compliment or reproach more. :)

m1preview.jpg

m1a1preview.jpg

RL is keeping me busy but heres a WIP preview of the first M1 and a comparison with the M1A1.

STGN

Top quality as always! :thumbsup:

I know it may be rude to ask, but is there any progress in interiors?

Quality of models seems to be more proper for ArmA or ArmA2 not the good old OFP. ;)

Quality of models seems to be more proper for ArmA or ArmA2 not the good old OFP. ;)

I don't see why. Modern computers can handle bigger models and textures than 10 years ago, even in OFP.

I don't see why. Modern computers can handle bigger models and textures than 10 years ago, even in OFP.

Modern computers yes. Old game engine - can't.

Modern computers yes. Old game engine - can't.

Well, sure OFP engine can't handle ArmA2 models, BUT it can handle bigger models than the vanilla ones.

Well, sure OFP engine can't handle ArmA2 models, BUT it can handle bigger models than the vanilla ones.

That's also true. In any case, I wish the author do not overdo it with the detail (As possible). All is good in moderation. Less details on one model - more models on one island and comfortable game. :)

What I meant is that, these models are so good, that they are really good base to converse them in to A2 or A3 even.

That's also true. In any case, I wish the author do not overdo it with the detail (As possible). All is good in moderation. Less details on one model - more models on one island and comfortable game. :)

You can make a model as insanely detailed as you want*, just make sure it's only rendered once on any system. So the viewpilot/viewgunner/viewcargo lods (for interiours or firearms) or the first resolution lod followed up by a lower detailed res. lod with a low number so that the full detail only becomes visible when you're right on top of the model (for vehicles). It's possible to have model as detailed as those in ArmA2, it's just not possible to have as many of them on screen at the same time.

* Polygon limit in CWA is something like 60,000 per model IIRC which I am going to assume is a high figure even for ArmA2 models.

You can make a model as insanely detailed as you want

No, me can't. :) And You can? Tell me please how... And I know the structure of the models in the game. :p

Polygon limit in CWA is something like 60,000 per model

60,000 polygons? You have an example of models with this number of polygons for OFP(CWA)? I can say that the limit POINTS on one model of approximately 9,000 (A lot of conditions affecting on the value). :)

At least, my game crashes when the number is larger... May be I do not understand something ? :confused:

Edited by =SappeR=

Hey STGN

It would be nice if you also added bags and stuff onto the turret carriage. Would give the tank an impression of being used/more "immersive"

Kinda like here:

http://miliblog.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/originalmodernusarmyiraq/abrams-m1a1-main-battle-tank.jpg

http://www.scenicreflections.com/files/M1A1_Wallpaper_JxHy.jpg

Hey STGN

It would be nice if you also added bags and stuff onto the turret carriage. Would give the tank an impression of being used/more "immersive"

Kinda like here:

http://miliblog.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/originalmodernusarmyiraq/abrams-m1a1-main-battle-tank.jpg

http://www.scenicreflections.com/files/M1A1_Wallpaper_JxHy.jpg

It sure would make the tank look better. On the other hand that would also increase polygon count of a single model... :(

Thanks for the comments!!

Right now I am trying to make the drivers compartment so I can complete the first LOD model. The interior needs alot of work yet, I have the base structure of the crew compartment but need to do all the gadgets so that is gonna take a long time thinking of releasing first with out turret interior.

At first the tank is not gonna come with storage because the amount of storage I see on tanks in the field vary greatly depending on the type of mission the tank is on and I am not sure which look I like better.

STGN

AFAIK US Army changed rules, and now storing all these things on a tank is prohibited. It was because when tanks was hit, and even if there was no direct effect on vehicle, that storage many times catched fire, and sometimes it lead to loss of vehicle. But this is today, in 1980's it seems that also storage was not very big, it become more popular in 1990/1991 through 1990's to the 2003-2005 when US Army changed the rules.

insideo.jpg

Inside slowly taking shape.

STGN

Wow... I might reinstall OPF in nearest future. ;D