delta99

Orienteering Mission

Yes there is a a stand alone Map Tools that was rolled into ACE. I will double check it but I think it was/is buggy.

So unless I can get permission to take it out of ACE then might be stuck with using ACE. I'll check with Sickboy at some point.

I haven't had any issues with the compass after saving but will see if I can reproduce that.

I originally envisioned the missions being MP so that you can have teams navigating but not sure whether I'll get there. For now the test missions will be SP and people can report their times. Ideally it would be cool if I could get the times reported to a server somehow.

I tried the older stand alone map tools and they don't cut it. They don't seem to be buggy but are not as realistic as the one in ACE. Also, the compass in game isn't changed so it sucks and is worthless.

Edited by Delta99

Why not look at the new Clafghan map, it's huge with plenty of rough terrain etc, Nice idea :)

Katipo, thanks for the suggestion.

I only looked at the video for Clafghan so far. Looks nice but probably not suitable for what I'm doing.

I tried the older stand alone map tools and they don't cut it. They don't seem to be buggy but are not as realistic as the one in ACE. Also, the compass in game isn't changed so it sucks and is worthless.

Ah ok, obviously its been fixed up in ACE and ditched standalone then, wasn't entirely sure but at least you took the time to test it out and see.

As regards maps, I always thought Chernarus was just asking for this type of thing.

As regards maps, I always thought Chernarus was just asking for this type of thing.

The more testing I do the more it looks like Chernarus will actually be alright. Other maps/islands might be better but I can make due with Chernarus for the time being especially for testing.

I'm interested in orienteering, let me know about your project.

Just subscribe to this topic as I'll be putting out updates here.

I will be releasing a very very preliminary mission very soon. Basically just to see what people think about the concept.

Just subscribe to this topic as I'll be putting out updates here.

I will be releasing a very very preliminary mission very soon. Basically just to see what people think about the concept.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I'll stay tuned on the topic.

One potential problem I see is that it is too easy to stay on course in a virtual environment because once you line up your direction and hit the "forward" key, you basically stay on course unless you have to step around an obstacle. In real life it is much harder to maintain a direction.

Even with these issues I think it still might be worthwhile.

Yes but this could've also used GPS, vector range finder and DAGR so it will be harder going without those electronic tools.

I would create the mission on Afghan map - the new beta - apparently this has a lot of cliffs etc which you cant simply walk up.

Or even a map with a lot of rivers so you cant simply travel in a straight line and have to go around the rivers requiring ongoing adjustment.

I would create the mission on Afghan map - the new beta - apparently this has a lot of cliffs etc which you cant simply walk up.

Or even a map with a lot of rivers so you cant simply travel in a straight line and have to go around the rivers requiring ongoing adjustment.

I haven't looked at the Afghan map yet although based on others I have looked at having areas that are impassible doesn't really help that much. Very mountainous terrains with little else are not that good either.

What is a lot better are hilly terrains where going a straight line to your destination is not always the best route. So you have to map read and potentially plot your course to avoid steep but passable terrain.

Orienteering is a race so you are racing against the clock and other peoples times.

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Yes but this could've also used GPS, vector range finder and DAGR so it will be harder going without those electronic tools.

I am not sure I understand your response to the part you quoted.

Hi all, the first test mission is available.

You can download it here - http://www.gamefront.com/files/21004606/OrienteeringTest1_Chernarus_zip

Just put that into your "Missions" folder in Arma2.

Notes:

1. This is purely a test of some of the concepts.
  2. ACE2 is a requirement for the Mapping Tools. I don't think the optional ACE mods are needed although I haven't tested.
  3. I was originally going to adhere strictly to IOF Orienteering rules but strayed away from that for now. I may move back in that direction in followup tests/missions.
  4. This is a race so you are racing against the clock to compare against others times.
  5. The mission needs to be played in VETERAN/EXPERT mode so that your location is NOT shown on the map. If played otherwise you are basically just cheating and I don't see what fun you'll get out of it.
  6. You should be familiar with the Map Tools. You'll need to know how to use the compass/ruler to plot directions and courses. You'll need to know how to measure distances. You should be using the line tools for intersections. Learn all that before attempting the mission.
  7. The quickest route from A to B is not always a straight line. Learn to read contours and potentially plot courses with that in mind.
  8. It is a good idea to write down the directions to the next control point.
  9. I have used the IOF flag to identify control points.
  10. The starting control point should be visible at your starting location. Walk up to it within 5 meters and you will get directions to the first control point.
  11. You mission timer starts once you leave the start control point. Although the game does pause at each control point until you hit continue. This gives you time to write down your times and directions to next control point.
  12. There are 3 control points in this mission.
  13. I have created a spreadsheet available here to records time. Just record your elapsed time to each control point (write those down as you reach each one). The total time in the spreadsheet is calculated and should match your total time in game that is reported at the last control point. The spreadsheet should be editable by anyone but let me know if any problems. Please don't mess with others times or I will have to restrict access.
  14. There is no real end to the mission. The last control point (3) will just say "The End".

Known Issues:

1. There is no in-game briefing or notes so read above.
  2. You can trigger the control point message multiple times which will show the latest time to that control point so you should avoid doing this. Make sure you write down the directions or stay within 5m of the flag while initially plotting to the next control point as the instructions will stay on screen but disappear once you move 5m away.

Let me know what you think.

Edited by Delta99

Has anyone had a chance to checkout the first test mission.

Looking for some feedback before I proceed.

sadly i cant get it to run, it shows in missions and loads then goes back to missions menu :(

No errors that you can see?

Can you check your .rpt file for errors?

Are you running ACE?

yes i have the latest ace and acex installed along with cba cant check for errors at the moment i am on the bus:eek: will check when i get home

yes i have the latest ace and acex installed along with cba cant check for errors at the moment i am on the bus:eek: will check when i get home

It is possible that one of the ACE optional mods are required but I didn't think so. When I get a chance I will test with just CBA, ACE and ACEX and see if it works for me.

I double checked by running just CBA, ACE and ACEX and runs fine for me. My guess is either you have issues with ACE or the download of the .PBO is corrupt maybe. Try re-downloading and again if you can check your .rpt file let me know if it points to anything.

It is possible that one of the ACE optional mods are required but I didn't think so. When I get a chance I will test with just CBA, ACE and ACEX and see if it works for me.

I'm still waiting for some feedback on this before moving forward with anything.

If interest isn't high enough I'll likely abandon the project or keep it for private use.

I'll test it tonight, I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest in this it seems like a great idea

Judicious use of fog might come in handy. So even a terrain with lots of objects could be used. It would naturally reduce your ability to use distant object to navigate by, on the other hand seeing an expected object loom out of the fog would be rewarding :) or worrying if it does not :)

Reminds me of trying to find the basecamp in one of the early missions of the Resistance Campaign... Fog everywhere, and I couldn't find the stupid building!!

I'll test it tonight, I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest in this it seems like a great idea

Thanks, let me know how it goes. Seems at least one other had a crash issue but I'm not able to reproduce it at all.

There does seem to be some interest but not sure if all the people interested are monitoring the topic or not.

You should update your first post with the download link to your latest mission version and status updates for more publicity.

Also ofpec.com could be a good place for testing an innovative mission and editing questions. (e.g. if there could be a way to achieve your goal without addon requirements)

Didn't have a chance to test your mission myself by now.

You should update your first post with the download link to your latest mission version and status updates for more publicity.

Also ofpec.com could be a good place for testing an innovative mission and editing questions. (e.g. if there could be a way to achieve your goal without addon requirements)

Didn't have a chance to test your mission myself by now.

Good idea's Trapper. I will at the very least update the first post.

As for OFPEC I'll see about whether it is useful there.