Sign in to follow this  
papoose244

Saitek X52 worth it for Arma?

Hi guys

I have always flown with mouse kb in the Arma series and find it pretty precise i have a friend who selling his X52 for cheap do you guys think its worth it for the Arma series for those who use it do you find it more precise then the mouse and KB?

If the price is right, do it! It might not be worth it for Arma 2, however Take on helicopters and Arma 3 will make it worth a lot and definitely superior to m+kb:)

If you can pick it up for a good price, why not?

ok thanks man i just wanted to know from people who use it how it feels in Arma 2 compared to Mouse KB.

Anyone tried that new warthog 2 flight stick? I'm thinking of saving up for that... used to have x-52

I used to have an X52. Excellent joystick and very good for ARMA2. If you can get it for a good price and it works properly then definitely go for it!

When I decided to upgrade I considered the Warthog but it has no twist function so I went for X65 instead. Quite a different experience and takes some time to get used to but allows amazingly fine control. In case people don't know, this joystick does not move. Instead it senses the force you put on the stick. Since its electronic not mechanical you can change the sensitivity on the fly (like with some mice). It also means that you can use it with less desk space as it doesn't lean.

Jeez, I sound like a sales rep...

I might consider pedals in future but the ones (Thrustmaster) I had before put me off as they weren't very smooth or accurate.

wolfbite: can't find any info on a Warthog 2

Edited by EDcase

Arma 2 does not require you to use a joystick, and it can actually hinder your performance because mouse+keyboard allows both extreme and precise movements with much less effort than with a joystick.

Guys who use a joystick to fly in ArmA also use a Steering wheel to drive in Battlefield... :o

Arma 2 does not require you to use a joystick, and it can actually hinder your performance because mouse+keyboard allows both extreme and precise movements with much less effort than with a joystick.
On the contrary my dear celery. I use a Saitek X52 pro full HOTAS with pedals and after tweaking the .cfg it is much better than mouse and keyboard.

Think of it, I have both hands and both feet controlling stuff.

The typical way to win (especially dogfights) against the Mousepilots is the vertical dimension...mousepilots do not perform well in vertical barrel rolls (spirals) and can't loop as quick while maintaining full yaw and view control...thats how to nail them.

The trick is to make your stick more responsive...its all in the .cfg

Albeit it took me 2 years and two BIS titles to figure the right setting out.

I also use the stick to controll Autocannons, MIssiles ans Mainguns on Armoured Vehicles...it is much more relaxing...that#s the point

The stick is simply more relaxing and less tiring, especially if you're used to it like me from all the flight sims that came out on PC.

Edited by Beagle

Think of it, I have both hands and both feet controlling stuff.

The typical way to win (especially dogfights) against the Mousepilots is the vertical dimension...mousepilots do not perform well in vertical barrel rolls (spirals) and can't loop as quick while maintaining full yaw and view control...thats how to nail them.

The stick is simply more relaxing and less tiring, especially if you're used to it like me from all the flight sims that came out on PC.

That's odd, because I control the aircraft with both hands too: small and precise movements with mouse and altitude, rudder and instant 100% roll and yaw with keyboard. I have played numerous flight sims and other games in the past with a joystick but mouse and keyboard is less tiring because there is little effort to do any kind of movement.

Edited by Celery

That's odd, because I control the aircraft with both hands too: small and precise movements with mouse and altitude, rudder and instant 100% roll and yaw with keyboard. I have played numerous flight sims and other games in the past with a joystick but mouse and keyboard is less tiring because there is little effort to do any kind of movement.
Well that's just you in this case. I'm for my part unable to do anything in ArmA II with mouse and keybord for long...maybe its because I have not all my Fingers sound anymore...right thumb and the right first Finger are a bit numb and stiff some are simply shorter due to surgery...hence my often shitty typing in chat and forum. But i guess even someone with healthy hands will find a Stick more comfortable for vehicle and aircraft operation...when set up the right way of course. The default setup and sensitivity for joysticks is awfull. Keyboard and mouse is to Digital for me, it is missing the fine analog inputs a HOTAS with pedals can deliver. Typical situation is a dogfight in a downward spiral...you can use all three axis fully anylog and do a lead with yaw while inducing roll and pitch at once.

To do this in a 3 min dogfight with Mouse and keyboard...I can not do that...thats needs three hands, thats why I use feet. Also flying changes drastically when you can use analog Thrust and manaul Thrustvectoring (available in beta) and trim via HOTAS.

Edited by Beagle

With a joystick you're able to give more granular inputs than with the keys. I enjoy flying and flight sims, therefore I own a joystick and use it for ArmA. I like it because it's intuitive, but I think anyone who spends the time to master the mouse and keys would probably start to 'feel' it after a while.

I own an x52 and I like my joystick and throttle controls. As for the x52 being worth it specifically, I would say no. There's no reason to have HOTAS, 3 pov hats, a mouse stick, 3 triggers (one multistage trigger and a pinky trigger), an built in LCD programming interface, and umpteen toggles, buttons, and other dealies in ArmA. I haven't really explored it with Take On but I do enjoy the interactive cockpit so it's not really required in that game either. The joystick itself is very nice, and I was able to do all kinds of nasty things with it online in il2 1946. For helicopters that are always out of trim every instant, though, the spring is a bit heavy.

For a joystick, it's very good. Strictly for ArmA 2, you won't be able to use its potential.

I use an X52 for Arma flying, but I'm having some difficulties with keeping altitude while in a hover. Somehow I either climb or descend. Changing the throttle sensitivity in the Arma2 config only allows me to change the location where the descend / climb starts on the throttle position.

Besides that issue, it's a good option and has more than enough buttons for Arma2 usage. When you're generally interested in flight sims, or eventually will be, I think it's a good option anyway.

I use an X52 for Arma flying, but I'm having some difficulties with keeping altitude while in a hover. Somehow I either climb or descend. Changing the throttle sensitivity in the Arma2 config only allows me to change the location where the descend / climb starts on the throttle position.

Besides that issue, it's a good option and has more than enough buttons for Arma2 usage. When you're generally interested in flight sims, or eventually will be, I think it's a good option anyway.

Little trick, set the brake value lower than the throttle up value.
joystickSensitivity[]={1.8,1,0.5,1,1,1,1,1,1.8,1,2,1,1,1,1,1};

and change this:

sensitivity="High";

and you can further use one of the rotaries like a trim wheel by assigning nose down/up in addition to the stick XY axis.

Edited by Beagle

I use a Thrustmaster T flight HOTAS, and even that's great for ArmA. Buy, buy, buy!