Sign in to follow this  
nightsta1ker

This is what happens when your Gfx card doesn't meet requirements.

After 5 or so min of gameplay the program crashes to windows.

But even with the 5 minutes I am getting, I am extremely disappointed in just about all aspects of the game, from the abyssimal flight dynamics to the poor graphics running at a horrible rate on my computer (I7 2600 with NVidia GT 530). Seriously, the community preview was better than this garbage. What is going on here?

Can I get my money back? Please? Please?

I would rather fly helos in ArmA and ArmA 2 than this.

Seriously, how can you claim realism? I am a real helicopter pilot with a full helicopter simulator setup (full pedals, collective and cyclic) and I can't fly the stupid thing in expert mode. The control lag makes it almost uncontrollable. Not realistic to a real helicopter AT ALL. And before anyone harps at me about settings, I have messed with all the null zones and sensitivities trying to get it right. And just when I start to really try to get into it, even from a pure gaming perspective, the graphics are so poor, and it eats so much performance, that I cannot enjoy it anyway. And then, on top of that, it keeps crashing to windows.

Seriously disappointed here guys. How did a project with so much promise fall so short?? I really went to bat for BIS early on because I beleived that you would and could pull this off. I thought you would listen to the real pilots and make it at least passably realistic. It seriously looks like you took the ArmA platform and changed it into a strictly helicopter game. No changes to the core elements to make it more flight friendly at all. I really don't know what BIS was shooting for at this point, but this is not what was portrayed to me and many others during the development.

Sincerely, No longer a fan,

Scott Swanberg

ok, re: performance problems...

1.what settings?

what driver build, OS?

* if You can provide crashdumps that would be great too

re control problems:

2 .

what issues with inability set null zones and sensitivity ?

what controllers/devices used?

re FDM complains

the Flight Model used in Take On Helicopters is N times complex

and better in simulation than the one used in ARMA 2 / ARMA 2: OA

wanna explain what's missing / not right ?

what FDM abilities You expect to be there or improved

(don't fear to point at some FDM on internet saying THIS one is better/best)

something i can 'catch' and understood instead of 'it's crap' w/o details

Dude! chill, breathe!

LOL GT530 ? that card ranks even with a 7900, which was top of the line, what, 5 years ago? Less than an 8800GT which is the recommended minimum

the GT530 is 2 levels below the 8800GT, and 8 levels below my gtx275!

that is some of your performance problem and control lag right there.

whoever suggested to pair a brand new CPU with a shitty gfx card is to blame for your crashes, not BIS !

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-gaming-performance,3042-7.html

Take on Helicopter Minimum System Requirements

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.4 Ghz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+

RAM: 2 Gb

HDD: 20 Gb hard disk space free

GFX: nVidia GeForce 8800 GT / ATI Radeon HD 4850

Audio: DirectX Compatible

DX: 9.0c

Other: Keyboard, Mouse

Take on Helicopter Recommended System Requirements

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.0 GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+

RAM: 4 Gb

GFX: nVidia GeForce 9800 GT / ATI Radeon HD 5850

sincerely hoping you reconsider, and APOLOGIZE

Derek Grimm

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

-Ziggy-;2046265']Dude! chill' date=' breathe!

LOL GT530 ? that card ranks even with a 7900, which was top of the line, what, 5 years ago? Less than an 8800GT which is the recommended[i'] minimum[/i]

the GT530 is 2 levels below the 8800GT, and 8 levels below my gtx275!

that is some of your performance problem and control lag right there.

whoever suggested to pair a brand new CPU with a shitty gfx card is to blame for your crashes, not BIS !

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-gaming-performance,3042-7.html

sincerely hoping you reconsider, and APOLOGIZE

Derek Grimm

+1

I have no input lag at all. When I move my joystick the heli reacts instantly even to the slightest input. And I'm able to control it (sort of) on expert with only a simple joystick.

Very low framerates can cause massive input lag though and for that is not BIS to blame but most likely your graphicscard. A GT 530, seriously?

I would recommend you to buy at least a GTX460 or similar.

Also what Dwarden said.

Kind regards ;)

Agree totally but give the man a break, apart from his GPU issue let us see if he can provide some constructive input...

I can say this, I find the controls react differently in missions than they do in free flight. My control inputs in free flight seem very smooth. I have no issue hold a hover, taking off or land smoothly. In the training missions though I seem to be all over the place.

not good to hear that you get crashes. it wont help to hear that i haven't suffered a single one, but as pointed out its probably that your video card isnt up to the task. and with my 6950 it looks damn good as well, again not what you'd want to hear but...

as for flying in expert, i have always enjoyed reading your posts and feedback as you are a real pilot and i too had (and continue to have) high hopes for tkoh. be interested to hear what you and other actual pilots think should be improved as i am also having a tricky time flying it and thought it was my lack of skill - which it probably is as well.

first, turn off vsync

I am a real helicopter pilot

No you are not.

Your computer crashes? Maaan, you got way other problem with your computer than not being able to fly a straight :D

But...sure...the other "99%" are lying and just trying to sell you a "shi*tty game"...riiiiight.

Edited by dga

I've notice a real difference in the flight model between the missions and free flight. Both are set to the "trainee" level. In the training missions I seem to be all over. Trying to come up into a hover especially. Practice the same maneuver in free flight and she's rock steady. Doesn't make any sense that the flight model or control inputs would be different.

I've notice a real difference in the flight model between the missions and free flight.

Different chopper?

Or...my best guess ... different weather... less wiiiind.

Nope, same helo and although the weather was different there was wind. It didn't react like it was wind either. It acts like there is some wild control input happening. I did not notice this in the preview edition.

-Ziggy-;2046338']yes' date=' he is.

open mouth, insert foot?[/quote']

Yes, indeed I am a real pilot. Not only am I a real helicopter pilot, but I am an instructor as well.

As far as my graphics card goes, Yes, I know I don't have top of the line. But my card runs every other game I own very well, including Arma and Arma 2 with no issues. After looking at the recommended minimum hardware, you are right, what I have does not cut it and is probably causing my problems. So... maybe an apology is in order. I am still not happy that I spent 50 bucks on something I can't use, but if it's my own darn fault for not reading the directions, so be it.

I will try some of the other "tweaks" I am reading about to see if I can get the most of my performance. I also may have a new card purchase in order, though I really don't have the cash...

I was just really really disapointed with what I was seeing, compared to the public beta that I tested extensively, the final version felt nothing like it and I was just shocked, and disappointed.

DWarden, I would give you specifics, but since I don't have the hardware to run this properly, my feedback is basically worthless anyway.

Consider this my official apology for the original post.

I'm sorry if I came off rude, but I find myself quick to defend BIS and the community. :o

considering whats out there and what this game requires, for a single card, I probably would not go for anything less than a GTX460.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130570

really any card will be better than what you have. then, say goodbye to your input lag and terrible graphics. :cool:

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

-Ziggy-;2046356']I'm sorry if I came off rude' date=' but I find myself quick to defend BIS and the community. :o

considering whats out there and what this game requires, for a single card, [b']I[/b] probably would not go for anything less than a GTX460.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130570

really any card will be better than what you have. then, say goodbye to your input lag and terrible graphics. :cool:

No worries Ziggy, I deserved it. Before I checked back here I knew I should have done some troubleshooting before I posted such a scathing review. I really had no idea my graphics card was that outdated... all the stupid numbers and letters... GT, GX... I thought my 530 was a decent card. And seriously, I have NO issues with other programs. I am not a computer whiz by any means. All this stuff is voodoo to me.

my GTX260 is showing age as well, so generally, I think the first thing for you is to get a better GFX card, GTX560 seems to be a good choose for the bucks

(I myself wont go for any upgrade aside from a SDD or two untill ArmA3 "hopefully" coming out next year, if nothing went wrong that is:p)

Edited by 4 IN 1

Just a note, it says The brand new helicopter game from independent developers Bohemia Interactive not Helicopter Simulator :)

I think we've all suffered episodes of game rage. I'm loving TOH, but there's no way I'd have got through the training landings/takeoff without the auto-hover, it really is tough to stop a slight pitch from getting out of control. That said, I put 400 hours into Modern Warfare 2, if I put a 10th of that time into this, how better will I fly? I guess a big part of my pleasure from flight sims is the satisfaction I get from clambering up the learning curve. Someone who already has the muscle memory of real helicopter flying is going to have a hard time with any sim. I've flown with numerous fast-jet pilots, who've all said that, while they love sims too, it's simply impossible to accurately replicate the experience on a home PC.

Edited by lucasdigital
fatness of finger, gaffs of grammar

I am running a P67 MB with the I7 2600K cpu @3.4ghz with a GTX 560TI 2gig video card and I am getting great frame rates, no lag. I have textures set to high and most other stuff. I do notice the blade stall but if you back off the cyclic and the collective it is very manageable.

One thing almost all simmers have gotten use to doing is over driving, be it a car, airplane or helicopter and getting away with it. Well this sim here is not going to be over driven. In black shark over driving crashes rotor blades. Here over driving creates a blade stall condition on the advancing blade.

This one will take time, practice and study before it is mastered.

Thanks guys for another tech leap fore-ward for helicopter simulations on the personal computer!!

I think I'm getting it with the light choppers, they're really the only ones that feel "right" in terms of flight model.

The ground effect seems overdone, it sends the birds back up into the air and I usually have to dump the collective to put them on the ground, causes a lot of overshooting the pad. It's especially bad with the heavy and fastroping, it's right at that edge of no ground effect to crazy ground effect when it wants to deploy ropes. They also shoot off the ground at takeoff, there's no sense of inertia with them.

I beat all the story missions so far, it was fairly short as far as games go, doing all the side missions now to see what happens, but the flight model on the heavy keeps me from wanting to do any sling loading. Anyway, looking forward to some patches, and to see what the community starts doing with the tools.

To get back on topic for performance issues: I was having a lot of trouble, settled on 7000 for viewdistance, and I just crank it up on the South Asia map since there's not as many objects. Post processing is off, clouds are very low (Got a lot of FPS from that, wierd), Vsync off, objects high, tex very high, 1080p screen res with no AA. Anistropic filtering is set at normal because it kills my FPS looking at the ocean with it maxed out, although it's good anywhere else. Maybe we could get a separate control for water?

The PiP was great in the community preview, I never had any slowdowns from it, but I've got it off now, it sucks up about 15 fps when it's on.

I'm using a GTX 460M, with the latest drivers and some modest, careful overclocking, it's pretty smooth at 35-45 fps, even in Seattle.

I have to lower my VD to 5000, turn everything to low turn off shadow to get my FPS back to 30/40 ish, thats how HW hungry the final version is I think.

And yes, I agree that ground effect is still over done, and the airframe would just shoot itself off the ground by just putting slight amount of collective, and there is still too much roll applied, in short the problem in beta are still there it seems, or through I can't tell if the effect of the problem is slightly less then that of the beta with my crappy joystick and flying skill

Edited by 4 IN 1

Good points made by all. I am aware of the limitations of sim vs. reality, I was simming well before I ever got my ratings. I also know how accurate it CAN be within the limitations of a game. I helped the developer of the Dreamfoil R22 for X-plane test his flight dynamics and provide feedback on systems and behavior for it, and it is arguably one of the most realistic helicopters on a home computer. That doesn't make it perfect. Nothing can match reality.

I also know that this is a game and not a sim. I was not expecting a sim. What I was expecting was a game with some additional realism, which is what they advertised. After months of testing and providing feedback, myself and several other real pilots started to get worried that this game might not live up to it's potential. But maybe it did. Maybe I just cannot experience that because my hardware sucks. I don't think my expectations were unrealistic. I was not hoping for anything they did not advertise.

When I get my hardware figured out, I will give it another go and re-assess.

By the way.... is a GTX260 better than a GT530? I have the former sitting in my OLD computer, I had upgraded the stock GPU. The GT530 came with my new computer. Would I see any gain if I switched them, even if the 260 is still on the low end?

By the way.... is a GTX260 better than a GT530? I have the former sitting in my OLD computer, I had upgraded the stock GPU. The GT530 came with my new computer. Would I see any gain if I switched them, even if the 260 is still on the low end?

Much much better, the 210/310/510 and up to 230/330/430/530 Geforce models weren't meant for gaming, they were targetted at the OEM and Home Theater PC market. The entry level cards are the x50s and even those are considered slow, although adequate for most games.

If you are experiencing crashes, report them properly and they can solve them; http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis/wiki/CIT#How-to-report-a-crash

Otherwise, it's no rocket science that if you have horrible performance that many things don't work as they are intended, and that you will have difficulty flying properly.

GTX 260? What about an AMD 6950 or 6870?