Sign in to follow this  
Darkhawk

Mlrs

mlrs2.jpg

its almost done just have to finish up on some areas then texture it and export it smile.gif

Also if anyone has any ideas of how the aiming system should work for this in OFP post it here.

Impressive work, Darkhawk. Can you give us a bit of backround on the MLRS?

mlrs.jpg

here is the finished product before oxygen dose it's magic

and here is some Background

I am just finishing up the interior so you should see a screen shot very soon of that smile.gif

I've got an idea for the aiming system. You could have the MLRS operate like the TOW launcher on the M2A2, expcept with a higher arc of fire (so it goes up like Kegteys Javelin) and a much longer range.

For long ranges you could increase the view distance so you could lock onto targets far away.

Would that be possible?

I think the aiming system should be like the artillery script that used tanks to fire real shells. Should be easier to implement if you can fire the rockets in a high trajectory between 45 and 90 deg.

Ive made a script a long time ago that simulates a Scud Launch. What you can do is, you place a marker on the map, and the MLRS shoots missiles to that marker. Just like the script.

hawk and i are gone use the far range aiming like the TOW

hehe the picture is gone so confused.gif

biggrin.gif LOL

In think the best solution would be to use the scud launch solution. The M270 would never be used against a visible target.

the first alpha model is done interior and exterior and now just have to wait till Vixer checks his email and converts it

good id checking my mail box LOL

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vixer @ June 03 2002,17:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">hawk and i are gone use the far range aiming like the TOW<span id='postcolor'>

While perhaps easier to do, I think it would be a grave mistake.

1. The MLRS does not normally fire guided rockets (although there may be variants that fire short range tactical missles).

2. Changing the distance settings on the game seriously slows down many computers. It would limit the MLRS to being used as basically a TOW missle carrier...something which it is not.

As someone else mentioned the MLRS is never used in a direct fire role.

3. The MLRS is designed as a long range artillery system firing large unguided rockets which it fires in volleys. It is always followed by re-loading vehicles as well.

The best thing to do is make it fire unguided LAW rockets and then see if you can change the speed of the LAW rocket so that it doesn't shoot too far, but far enough for indirect fire. The problem with doing that however is figuring out how to accurately target the rockets for indirect fire (hitting targets you can't see that are behind hills, ect...).

The solution would be to use that SCUD script Scorpio mentinoned and figure out how to make it fire volleys of rockets. I think with some creative scripting using an artillery script a good MLRS fire control system could be created. Instead of shells, LAW rockets might be able to be used with the arty script simulating them raining down on an area designated by a marker on the map. It's worth exploring at any rate. That would be a waste of work, to make such a fine looking MOD only to release it with a very unrealistic firing system.

Also the MLRS's box with the rockets elevates and rotates. But if arty script is used with it, it would be fine just leaving the rocket box elevated at one position. The tricky part will be getting the turret to rotate towards the direction of the target marker.

Anyhoo that's my opinion as I hope it's taken constructively.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">. Changing the distance settings on the game seriously slows down many computers. It would limit the MLRS to being used as basically a TOW missle carrier...something which it is not.

<span id='postcolor'>

the aim distance like T80 12 o clock 3000

got it?

Very nice guys very nice.

What kind of textures you planning to put on that? I.E. Desert Camo, Jungle, normal (whatever that is) etc etc.

what about being able to target a laser and not have the missiles guide like tows but just enough to land in the general area.

could you use the arty script, but spawn like 100 'rockets' going straight down? they would simulate the iron rain nicley

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vixer @ June 03 2002,21:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">. Changing the distance settings on the game seriously slows down many computers.  It would limit the MLRS to being used as basically a TOW missle carrier...something which it is not.

<span id='postcolor'>

the aim distance like T80 12 o clock 3000

got it?<span id='postcolor'>

If it's possible to do that that might be good to try, but again you'd have to figure out how to make the rockets shoot at a very high arc (much higher then then Javelin missle addon) and in volleys of rockets (or missles in this case). Also you have the problem of again requiring a direct line of site between the MLRS and the target. In other words I don't think it would work if the target is behind a hill, even if you have a spotter unit with a direct line of site. But it's worth a try messing with.

But if it doesn't work well I hope that you will try the artillery scripts and see if you can tie the targetting map markers with the direct that the turret faces. Then when on the radio you give the command to fire, have a LAW rockets fire in barrages from the rocket box on the MLRS up into the air. It doesn't really matter where they land because the artillery script will take over from there and the "real" rocket barrage will come down over the target marker. (hopefully the LAW rockets that fire off from the MLRS will just fall into the ocean or somewhere harmless. LOL!wink.gif

But again if you figure out how to make the turret face in the direction of the target marker on the map, you could make a VERY realistic and excellent MLRS vehicle that could be used on multiplayer maps as well. For example other players could give you the map coordinates of a target (or mark them on the map). You would then place your target marker over the target and give the order to fire. This is basically how it works in real life with modern digital targetting systems that link the forward observer (who carry a GPS) directly to the artillery battery (the arty platoon).

It should carry 12 rockets and it should be able to fire all 12 rockets within 60 seconds. However according to what I've read on it, it can fire in "ripples" from single shots to 2, 4, 6, or 12 shot volleys. Reload times between fire missions I'm not sure about but I imagine would about 5 minutes as much of the reload process is very automated. However it requires a reload vehicle. I suppose that OFP ammo truck can simulate that. Oh also one thing I forgot... the normal type of rocket used in the MLRS is one that uses sub-munitions. A full 12 rocket volley can dispense 8,000 bomblets over a huge area. I don't think you could simulate that many bomblets in OFP, so it's probably best to just stick to a dozen rockets per MLRS and perhaps see if you can have 4 MRLS units in a squad fire at once and then have the artillery script simulate 48 rockets screaming in roughly within a period of 60 seconds.

If you want to do the bomblets it's possible to modify an artillery script to create a few hundred "handgrenades" over a wide area. There are some cluster bomb scripts that simulate this for example.

So overall there is a wide variety of realistic scripts that you could use to achieve some fairy good realism. It just boils down to being able to script the launcher to first fire rockets into the air at an angle (just for effect) and being able to script the box turret to aim towards a marker on a map.

But try the distance thing first and see if you can get that working. Maybe turn the MLRS into a ATACMS tactical (guided) missle system. smile.gif

Here's a good site on the MLRS:

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/mlrs/

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

MLRS is ARTILLERY and functions out of visual range at all times, the scud launch option is the best, no contest.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paratrooper @ June 04 2002,09:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">MLRS is ARTILLERY and functions out of visual range at all times, the scud launch option is the best, no contest.<span id='postcolor'>

But the problem is when playing a mission for the 2nd or more times, you could know the exact location of units, and right off the bat launch a MLRS at them just by knowing where they are on the map. If I know that's there a group of men standing at De 47, then off the start of the mission, just launch at that grid and wipe them out, without even reconing the area. Yes, it's an easy option, but it could be open to missuse if the map/mission maker doesn't randomizes the unit locations for every mission.

-=Die Alive=-

Well that's how artillery works, what's the point of making "it fair" but nothing like the operation of the MLRS.