Sign in to follow this  
Col.

Cook. American Big City

You are certeinly right, after some testing, tho, the skyscrapers is very destructable. Crashed several planes in them and didn't do anything to it, so it's somehow impossible to bring them down, and with the lack of western buildnings; We'll try the best to use them without overusing them. :) It is possible, but needs strong care with the buildnings, to make them fit, not just randomly placed, but good placed.

We'll find out about sooner, Old Bear ;)

A difficult city to build and make look realistic, hope it works out, like I said, could be a ground breaking island/map for A2 when its finished..

This is cool, looking forward to the final island, this really opens up a whole new level of mission design and gameplay!

Hi, I might be able to help you create some buildings for your project. I work with 3DS MAX for 3D modeling and animation. I can also create textures in photoshop, though it's not my strongest suit and if you can find a photoshop master to create textures it would be a major asset.

If you give me the dimensions of the building and the file type you need it in I might be able to create some content. When I say dimensions, I mean in terms of what you need in the game (pixels) as opposed to actual dimensions though the actual dimensions wouldn't hurt for reference.

As it so happens, I'm American and lived in the New York city area for 20 years. I currently live in southern California near Los Angeles so I have a good personal frame of reference of American big cities.

So if you would like to discuss this further, send me an e-mail at

WallySchmo@hotmail.com

I like the screen shots you've posted and would like to help you bring your project to life :)

Wallo: Will contact you if Iæm in very need of more buildnings :D Many thanks for the offering :D

Others; Thanks!

@Col

Fantastic idea mate :D, I've always imagined a proper urban area in Arma 2 would be impossible due to the limitations of the engine and the lack of urban objects or buildings.

Judging by the pictures though things look promising- can't wait to see more of this, a developed urban area would be a ground breaking first for the Arma series :yay:

BTW: the skyscraper models look great, did you make them?

Edited by SW1

@Col

Fantastic idea mate :D, I've always imagined a proper urban area in Arma 2 would be impossible due to the limitations of the engine and the lack of urban objects or buildings.

Judging by the pictures though things look promising- can't wait to see more of this, a developed urban area would be a ground breaking first for the Arma series :yay:

BTW: the skyscraper models look great, did you make them?

Hehe, many thanks!

Nope, those are from the urban pack by Charron ^^

Nope, those are from the urban pack by Charron ^^

Really, I must have missed that, definetly worth a download.

Looks great!

Still needs some tweaking, but it already gave me this big city feeling :)

Looking great Col, are any of the large buildings (skyscrapers) destructible ? If so, its just a thought, could it be just building sites with no evidence of bombing debris at first and let the mission designers have open scope for story line. Just a thought..

Third pic is quite menacing, great look..

Looking great Col, are any of the large buildings (skyscrapers) destructible ? If so, its just a thought, could it be just building sites with no evidence of bombing debris at first and let the mission designers have open scope for story line. Just a thought..

Third pic is quite menacing, great look..

The skyscrapers fall down into the earth and vanish. :/ Well. There are some buildnings who looks bombed and are "skyscrapers"/tall!

Menacing? :D Haha :P Thank you :D

Thank you too, Max :D

Edited by Col.

Third pic is quite menacing, great look...

rather funny :)

An Apache casting a Hughes shadow, and a Bell with a Chinook shadow

:p

rather funny :)

An Apache casting a Hughes shadow, and a Bell (?) with a Chinook shadow

:p

Nah. Actually its a Chinook right behind them (Not on the picture) and a MH-6J more to the left (Not on picture) :P

Edited by Col.

Yeah, it's only logical to think that the shadows are casted by choppers out of the picture, but it just looks funny teh way it looks.

Cheers and much success with it ;)

Yeah, it's only logical to think that the shadows are casted by choppers out of the picture, but it just looks funny teh way it looks.

Cheers and much success with it ;)

Hahahha true!

Hey Col.

If your just taking screen shots don't be afraid to max your video settings and adjust your time of day for the best lighting effect.

As for getting good images below 100k, I use GIMP which has a quality slider when using 'save as.jpg'. This basically controls color compression without changing the image size, fewer colors = smaller file size. Should be enough to say save a 1600x1080 @ %65 but individual images do vary.

Hey Col.

If your just taking screen shots don't be afraid to max your video settings and adjust your time of day for the best lighting effect.

As for getting good images below 100k, I use GIMP which has a quality slider when using 'save as.jpg'. This basically controls color compression without changing the image size, fewer colors = smaller file size. Should be enough to say save a 1600x1080 @ %65 but individual images do vary.

YEah. FOrgot to max the graphics today ^^

Thanks for the tip, man! :D

Edit: Someone asked one time what would happend if you teard the whole city down:

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/2669/arma2oa2011101404184192.png

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/1776/arma2oa2011101404183127.png

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/1734/arma2oa2011101404181207.png

Use ruins tactically for hideout spots for snipers:

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/1338/arma2oa2011101403533105.png

Edited by Col.

Evacuation of the Scranton Avenue, Finance and Gouvernment centers (Concept:3):

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3518/arma2oa2011101401280579.png

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1759/arma2oa2011101401275657.png

bad quality.

No, that second pic's the Joker leaving from the bank robbery at the beginning of The Dark Knight :P

No, that second pic's the Joker leaving from the bank robbery at the beginning of The Dark Knight :P

HAhahahha, what have you been smoking tonight, bud?:p

Evacuation of the Scranton Avenue, Finance and Gouvernment centers (Concept:3):

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3518/arma2oa2011101401280579.png

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1759/arma2oa2011101401275657.png

bad quality.

As I have said before ‘Col’ I know very little about Pc’s but I have used image capture a little before, this is what I do with my images..

Take a fraps screenshot, go to view it, open it with ‘Paint’ then immediately save it as jpeg, go into the jpeg you just saved by opening it with ‘Microsoft Office Picture Manager’ go to edit, then re-size, I always put 1900 x 1100, seems to be right save it on the way out and load it up to your image store. While you are in the Picture manager you can auto enhance it, helps re-light the pic if it is a little dark..

I have to say I don’t have a saving file size issue, but you could always reduce it again for smaller file sizes if you prefer after uploading..

I am not trying to teach you to ‘suck eggs’ if you understand the saying… just how I do it.. may be of help, may not..

Hope all’s well with your project..