Sign in to follow this  
theavonlady

Blackhawk down!

yes, and only two of the four crewmen were injured. that is one well built chopper- except for the whole crashing thing tounge.gif

Nine climbers making their way to Mount Hood's 11,237-foot (3,408-meter) summit as part of a larger group fell into the crevasse Thursday morning. Three were killed, and another three were critically injured.

Rescue helicopters evacuated two of the injured hikers early on. But as the military rescue chopper was attempting to reach the rest, it crashed and tumbled down the mountain, critically injuring at least one of the five crew members aboard, authorities said.

Ouch!

They don't know at this point what caused the crash, I am willing to bet that it was a sudden gust of wind that sent the chopper into the mountainside. Low-altitude flying in mountainous areas is never totally safe, especially when attepmting to hover close to mountains, winds can be very high and shifty.

Tyler

Not to mention, at high altitudes, there are pockets of air that are much thinner than the normal consistency of air, and when a helos rotor blades hits these pockets, it can cause sudden loss of altitude, as there is suddenly nothing for the helos rotors to bite into to produce lift. This situation can be hazardous to the health of the helicopter and crew (no duh, right?). Luckily, the Blackhawk is designed with rough landings/crashes in mind, and the crew probably owes its lives to the choppers design

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ May 31 2002,10:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Pfuha... I hope the injured crewman survives...<span id='postcolor'>

Yes. Lucky there's snow up there:

"As it tumbled down the mountainside, the chopper rolled over one crew member who had been ejected from it."

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ May 31 2002,10:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the chopper rolled over one crew member who had been ejected from it."<span id='postcolor'>

I'd hate to be in that situation. sad.gif

I've had a big Volvo driving over my foot once (never try to jump in a moving car tounge.gif ). Good thing I usually wear steel toe boots.

WOAH,, just watched it on the BBC news..

damn that guy was getting crushed by the chopper,, hope he's alright!!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ May 31 2002,10:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Good thing I usually wear steel toe boots.<span id='postcolor'>

Where were you when Wobble needed you? biggrin.gif

Speaking of Wobble, he thinks he's been banned. Has he? Credit card records show he's since purchased a chainsaw and is heading overseas. wow.gif

run.jpg

ROFL.

A lot of people think they were banned. They are coming for you Placebo. <span style='font-size:16pt;line-height:100%'>MUHAHAHAHA</span>

This snow is very soft and this HH60 PaveHawk is be sutied for repair.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (theavonlady @ May 31 2002,11:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Speaking of Wobble, he thinks he's been banned. Has he?<span id='postcolor'>

Nope. He's not banned. Does he have problems logging in?

Wobble lives in Texas

Wobble has a chainsaw

Wobble will commit a massacre

THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE!

I hope that's not what Wobble looks like, though, I'd like that dead skin mask for a holloween costume one day.

I guess now with the CNN if you want to watch a video clip of the crash, you got to pay. mad.gif

I'm glad that the snowboarder died.  I hope every idiot who wants to be a fucking adventure nut gets killed.  Why do rescue workers have to go and save these assholes?  They should of bombed the fuck out of 'em.

I've read that there's over 100 tons of garbage on Mount Everest.  Not only these assholes risk their lives and the lives of their would be rescuers, they don't pick up after themselves.  They all get what they deserve.

-=Die Alive=-

I've read that there's over 100 tons of garbage on Mount Everest. Not only these assholes risk their lives and the lives of their would be rescuers, they don't pick up after themselves. They all get what they deserve.

many climbing items are 1 use, like pegs, grommets...etc etc

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've read that there's over 100 tons of garbage on Mount Everest. Not only these assholes risk their lives and the lives of their would be rescuers, they don't pick up after themselves. They all get what they deserve.

<span id='postcolor'>

Mainly oxygen canisters, they are too heavy to be carried down by most people because of the thin air, so they just leave them there. I hear clean-up efforts are under way but will take decades to totaly clean up the mountain. I hear that the Government of Nepal has recently put a set nubmer on the amount of expeditions to the mountain per year.

There are also alot of bodies on the mountain too, to heavy to be carried down as well.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"As it tumbled down the mountainside, the chopper rolled over one crew member who had been ejected from it."<span id='postcolor'>

Ouch, I can 'kind of' feel that guy's pain. One time when I was 8 or 9, I was sleding with some freinds. I fell off my sled as I was headed downhill. My buddies behind me couldn't stop, so the two of them rolled right over my chest and head. That really hurt. I can't imagine a whole helecopter rolling over me. wow.gif

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Die Alive @ May 31 2002,11:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I guess now with the CNN if you want to watch a video clip of the crash, you got to pay. mad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

It's still available from other sites:

CBS News

FOX News

NBC News