Sign in to follow this  
5LEvEN

Weapon Customization Ideas Thread

---Sorry if this is somehow in the wrong place... I did use the search thread button, and found no suitable threads for this---

So this thread was created to brain storm some ideas for how the game could hand weapon customization. So please tell your ideas :)

Here are my ideas so far.

The gear menu would be capable of filtering items. So it could show weapon parts. For example a filter for weapon sights, grenade launcher attachments, suppressors, and barrel changes(for weapons you can swap out barrels for). So basically you could go to a crate, and select the attachments you may need for your mission.

There would be a button in the gear menu that would allow you to enter a modify page for the weapon. From there you could attach items to your weapon, and view what it will look like. Once done you would just hit the confirm button, and it would take you back to the gear menu.

Well I personnaly thought it would an evolution of what we already had on OFP in which you could choose your equipement during the briefing. I hoped it would be a mix between this and R6, before starting the mission you choose your weapon and then you select accessories for it. With a 3D overview, why not.

I'm not fond of what I saw from the GamesCom videos. I really hope I won't be able to carry different optics and just switch like that in the middle of the battlefield.

Edited by dunedain

Attaching thermal/night sights on the fly shouldn't be a problem. Changing your day optics should only happen at an armory/crate kind of thing. Same goes for lasers and underbarrel weapons. As far as the interface, something like Crysis 2 wouldn't be that bad for modifying your weapon. The weapon viewer from MGS 4 would be amazing, but I'm not hoping for that much.

Only make it so you can change sights at ammo crates and you could change under barrell attachments on the fly if you have them on your person.

No soldier would change his sights mid battle because it wouldn't be zeroed in.

Ideally, you have 1 weapon and not 15 variants. And all the sights which you add/take at the crates and that's that. You should plan your misson for what you'll need. If you know its going to get dark bring a Night Vision sight etc..

Night optics can be attached/detached on the fly without affecting the zero. Attaching an M203 requires tools and a lot of fucking around. Newer weapons are supposed to be more modular I guess, so I'll concede that point. If you can change day optics on the fly, they should be way off zero. You could make adjustments on the go.

Able to change positions of where you place, e.g. laser 9 or 3 o'clock? Useless, I'd definitely have my laser point 12 o'clock on top of the rifle so the laser beams as close to the front sight post as possible.

Top, left, or right doesn't matter. It's usually unit SOP. We always put ours on the right. On top, it gets into the field of view of your RCO, which gets annoying. The laser BZO targets are made for any of the three aforementioned positions.

Have them as item accessories (like clock, compass, gps etc). If mission maker wants to allow changes only at crates, he can script it, by removing the item and storing it as a player variable as soon as he leave the crate area. Followed by a notification of course.

Should AK's need a seperate siderail mount to attach optics then?

yes , Abakan need side rail aswell or Russian optics are mounted directly into AK side mount

^^unless A3 AKs is the AK200, which feature the same rail system as most western weapons, together with the side mount.

it is confirmed that BIS will use proxies for these attachments. In the case of sidemounts, i guess the attachments would have the mount modelled in the optics

^^unless A3 AKs is the AK200, which feature the same rail system as most western weapons, together with the side mount.

it is confirmed that BIS will use proxies for these attachments. In the case of sidemounts, i guess the attachments would have the mount modelled in the optics

Hmm it would be nice to have AK200 ,but i doubt it

AN-94 Abakan is there ;)

Edited by RobertHammer