Sign in to follow this  
daman3

WW2 Vehicles (Maus and SDKFZ 222)

Hello,

I've been working on some vehicles quite some time and figured out

since I have made a lot stuff which shares the same theme, that I

could make a WW2 Vehicle pack.

Right now I am working on the german SDKFZ 222 and the

only 4 times produced yet competent Maus.

Some wip pictures:

44060311.th.png

49598412.th.png

14552094.th.png

Maus

81856717.th.png

78640429.th.png

Let me know if you are interested.

Hey DaMan

Nice to see you going public with this. Good luck.

(PS:just curious; why are using WW1-era markings on the SdKfz?)

Maybe is better to use ww1 symbols as swatiska (is a no go in germany).^^

@up

Ahh, thats the reason, for me its little stupid, thats is history, bad one, but forbidden to use swastika will not make that history disappear or either will be forgotten.

Well, yes, I'm pretty much aware of the swastika issue, but who says there should be a swastika at all? ;)

It was not the symbol of the Wehrmacht and was not painted on vehicles (except airplanes), the Balkenkreuz was. (of course unit and expeditionary forces, like DAK, emblems excluded)

;) greetings

T.

no...on tanks were no swatiskas...I think topas talked about the iron cross...in ww2 wehrmacht uses balken crosses on tanks

edit: ups...take to long to write my answer :P

Edited by $CHLUCKi

Well, I don't what's the stance on BIS and Forum mods/admins, but you can include nazy symbols by law in a mod, you just can't sell it in germany.

Well, I don't what's the stance on BIS and Forum mods/admins, but you can include nazy symbols by law in a mod, you just can't sell it in germany.

Who said he was selling anything.

People need to grow up (german government) and realize that you can't erase history. What's done is done. Move along.

Maybe is better to use ww1 symbols as swatiska (is a no go in germany).^^

Why not just use the Balkenkreuz? It was the emblem of the German Military during WW2. I think the Swastika was rarely put on ground vehicles(besides flags).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkenkreuz

I love the Maus, can't wait to blast away at Shermans with it. What other vehicles are you working on?

Edited by (2142)Gen.Reaper

These look great, but yes definitely put a WW2 type cross back on the 222 :)

Swastikas where only ever seen on tanks by either the units emblem or an aircraft recognition flag.

lol i said maybe .....and i have no idea why he used ww1 symbols.It was just my theory

on tanks were no swatiskas....
... is not 100% sure :D Edited by TeilX

Who said he was selling anything.

I'm just saying. I mean, for another game called Hearts of Iron 3, which is a WW2 game, a DLC is currently being sold without the nazy symbols. But, the same author (who is not a hired by the games publisher/developers, they just gave him a opportunity to do so) actually made a free mod for it, which has those symbols in it (only SS related, not the flag itself. And SS related stuff is banned from Germany as well)

Also, dat Maus!

yes, uploading and use in public events of such symbols is forbidden from out of germany by law.

But why you think the Maus falls under this law...the tank itself couldn't be the problem and the deadhead on the picture looks far away from the deadheads what was uses in ww2. (but why a deadhead on a tank...as I know there never was such signs on tanks)

Well my personal stance on the issue is that I highly doubt the German government is going to come busting in through your front door for downloading a mod with a swastika in it. Just because in Oblivion the guards immediately know when you pick up someone's apple doesn't mean that translates into real life with the internet ;)

Not even the Waffen-SS Divisions had a swastika on the tank, e.g. this is what a tank from the "Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler" looked like: http://www.fahrzeuge-der-wehrmacht.de/Bilder/PzKpfw_4_J_Be_02-1.jpg

(the unit sign, in this case the key emblem, is usually on the front left, and a Balkenkreuz on the sides of the hull, the turret bearing a number individual for each tank). They would probably fly a swastika flag during a parade or so, but not in the field of course.

The Afrika-Korps however had a swastika in the unit sign: http://blogs.ya.com/manuti/files/Afrikakorps_01.jpg

So if you want to make a desert skin for the Maus, you'd probably need to use that (and I wouldn't worry about German laws as long as you are operating outside of Germany, especially if it's really a minor issue like in this case. And you can still claim that it's art and/or for historical education, which makes it legal).

Of course that Akrika Korps skin would be fictional, but anything is fictional here because there were only two Maus prototypes which were never used, and it was also a totally useless concept (with a max speed of just 13 kph too slow to advance or retreat quickly enough, and with 190 tons too heavy to cross bridges etc.).

So you could also just put a Mickey Mouse as unit sign on it - but then you'd get legal problems with Disney for copyright infringement, i.e. up to 5 years in Gitmo with torture, so better a swastika which only means up to 3 years in a German prison without torture... *lol*

I think your model is too small yet. The Maus was 10m long and nearly 4m high, so a standing man should not even reach the upper edge of the hull. And instead of crossing bridges the Maus was supposed to drive underwater up to 13m depth with a snorkel; I'm curious if/how you could make your model do that.

But I'm looking forward to see it in game! *thumbsup*

And when you are done, do you continue with the "mother of all tanks" (or rather to top off the madness) the Ratte land cruiser? ;)

So you could also just put a Mickey Mouse as unit sign on it - but then you'd get legal problems with Disney for copyright infringement, i.e. up to 5 years in Gitmo with torture, so better a swastika which only means up to 3 years in a German prison without torture... *lol*

Not if you model/texture/draw it by yourself.