Sign in to follow this  
-=seany=-

Add FXAA support to OA and Arma3- Many AA bugs fixed

nice work that guy over at guru 3d did with that tool alright.

I had a go of SMAA 1.2 from the previous page, but I found it a bit hit and miss. When it detects an edge that need smoothing it works well, but I found it missed lots of edges or was too slow to react. I could see lots of aliasing on things like telegraph poles and the tops of buildings etc.

I think ill stick with FXAA for now.

SMAA is much better. Set it to ULTRA and pixel resolution size to your resolution instead of 1280x720 it comes with by default (1280x720 is the main culprit here that leaves out ladders)

FXAA is a no go for me since it blurs the image extremely bad while with SMAA quality of image is mostly untouched while all would-be ladders in ArmA2 at least are perfectly smooth (tried it with a few other games and for some reason it wasn't as impressive there but in ArmA2 it works extremely well for me)

I really want to see it replacing (or at least used alongside) FXAA

Another, more visible comparison:

http://i.imgur.com/iwjxq.jpg

As you can see 4x MSAA leaves out ladders while with SMAA it's almost perfect AA job in this test.

Edited by metalcraze

SMAA is much better. Set it to ULTRA and pixel resolution size to your resolution instead of 1280x720 it comes with by default (1280x720 is the main culprit here that leaves out ladders)

FXAA is a no go for me since it blurs the image extremely bad while with SMAA quality of image is mostly untouched while all would-be ladders in ArmA2 at least are perfectly smooth (tried it with a few other games and for some reason it wasn't as impressive there but in ArmA2 it works extremely well for me)

Ahh, I hadn't seen those options in the .ini before.

I'll give it another try, thanks :cheers:

The sad thing is that the normal dll-hack doesn´t work on ArmA. Otherwise i have kicked out ingame-AA long time ago. :(

I really want to see it replacing (or at least used alongside) FXAA

Another, more visible comparison:

http://i.imgur.com/iwjxq.jpg

As you can see 4x MSAA leaves out ladders while with SMAA it's almost perfect AA job in this test.

How do you 'set it to ULTRA'? Very little info on how to configure SMAA on that guy's site :(

Edited by BangTail

Download the newest Version (1.2). There is a config inside which is called "injector".

Open it with Editor, and under smaa you can set up the Preset

While were on the topic, What keys do the other parameters refer to:

;toggle shader keycode
key_toggle = 19

;make screenshot keycode
key_screenshot = 44

;reload shader files keycode
key_reload = 0

I thought it might be dikCodes, but I'm not sure:

/* dikCodes are listed below.

ESC = 1

F1 = 59

F2 = 60

F3 = 61

F4 = 62

F5 = 63

F6 = 64

F7 = 65

F8 = 66

F9 = 67

F10 = 68

F11 = 87

F12 = 88

PRINT = 183

SCROLL = 70

PAUSE = 197

^ = 41

1 = 2

2 = 3

3 = 4

4 = 5

5 = 6

6 = 7

7 = 8

8 = 9

9 = 10

0 = 11

ß = 12

´ = 13

Ü = 26

Ö = 39

Ä = 40

# = 43

< = 86

, = 51

. = 52

- = 53

+ = NOT DEFINED

POS1 = 199

TAB = 15

ENTER = 28

DELETE = 211

BACKSPACE = 14

INSERT = 210

END = 207

PAGEUP = 201

PAGEDOWN = 209

CAPS = 58

A = 30

B = 48

C = 46

D = 32

E = 18

F = 33

G = 34

H = 35

I = 23

J = 36

K = 37

L = 38

M = 50

N = 49

O = 24

P = 25

Q = 16

U = 22

R = 19

S = 31

T = 20

V = 47

W = 17

X = 45

Y = 44

Z = 21

SHIFTL = 42

SHIFTR = 54

UP = 200

DOWN = 208

LEFT = 203

RIGHT = 205

NUM_0 = 82

NUM_1 = 79

NUM_2 = 80

NUM_3 = 81

NUM_4 = 75

NUM_5 = 76

NUM_6 = 77

NUM_7 = 71

NUM_8 = 72

NUM_9 = 73

NUM_+ = 78

NUM = 69

NUM_/ = 181

NUM_* = 55

NUM_- = 74

NUM_, = 83

NUM_ENTER = 156

STRGL = 29

STRGR = 157

WINL = 220

WINR = 219

ALT = 56

SPACE = 57

ALTGR = 184

APP = 221

*/

Download the newest Version (1.2). There is a config inside which is called "injector".

Open it with Editor, and under smaa you can set up the Preset

Cheers :D

Damn, that's really cool thing.

Edited by t3K|Mac
i am dumbass ;)

Tried SMAA with Ultra and it was a bit better, but I still saw a fair amount of aliasing on mid distance objects. I think the blur of FXAA helps to mask these things, so I will stick with that for now.

For 1.2 version:

Open your injector.ini

Edit the following config string in this way:

preset = SMAA_PRESET_ULTRA

Open your SMAA.fx

#define SMAA_PIXEL_SIZE float2(1.0 / 1680.0, 1.0 / 1050.0) or whatever your resolution is

I bet it can be tweaked further through SMAA.fx, I can see some other interesting settings

The only Problem i´ve got with SMAA : If you use a scoped Weapon from a Mod, ACE as example,

and switch a few times from 3rd Person to Scope, Character LOD´s are looking muddy.

But this only happens with 3rd Party Weapons. If you do the same thing with BIS Weapons it will not happen. Thats wierd. :confused:

EDIT : Animated Reticles are off, so this is not the Problem.

Tried SMAA with Ultra and it was a bit better, but I still saw a fair amount of aliasing on mid distance objects. I think the blur of FXAA helps to mask these things, so I will stick with that for now.

Same, I get quite a bit of aliasing still happening, shimmering from it puts me off a bit.

I've been getting a few freezes with the 1.2 SMAA injector. Once removed there are no freezes happening - anyone else get the same ? (using d3d9.dll)

what is the best FXAA value??

as in the value that give the greatest amount of jaggie reduction??

what is the best FXAA value??

as in the value that give the greatest amount of jaggie reduction??

here you can find some info about FXAA presets

http://timothylottes.blogspot.com/2011/07/fxaa-310-released.html

i think you have to try them and choose what's the best compromise between quality and performance for your machine

Edited by h8er

I've been getting a few freezes with the 1.2 SMAA injector. Once removed there are no freezes happening - anyone else get the same ? (using d3d9.dll)

No problems here so far.

SMAA provides better smoothing over FXAA on Ultra settings and even increases my FPS by around 5FPS compared to FXAA preset 6.