Sign in to follow this  
-ASA-ODEN

Frontline

Frontline.png Edited by [ASA]ODEN
Missionpack Update 4.aug for UN Forces

Thank you Oden!

Will try out this new version even if I expect a HW-meltdown on my old rig ;)

/KC

Nope, no recruiting ai per normal definitions but you'll get a new team assigned when "you need them" (you will replace one of your teammates while available and after that you'll respawn in the "closest non-front town" with a random set of ai in anything from Jeep, Truck to ICV - unless you are in a dedicated platoon such as Tank or SF).

Wanted to keep the original Frontline concept of "work with what you've got".

KeyCat, pls feel welcome to my ded.server anytime, bring some nosig-ppl too :)

All: Forgot to tell you, mission may be played in SP or MP. SP features a respawn system connected to teamSwitch (switchable units are added along as sqd/plt/company leaders die).

nice, finally able to play this mission again. Thanks for rebuilding it.

Hey Oden,

Downloaded this and put it onto my dedi. You weren't joking when you said that the servers get hit hard ! I was running at 8FPS.

I really enjoyed it! It does give a feeling of being something bigger.

As Brigade Commander though, I had difficulty using the HC functions. When I entered HC mode and pressed a function key I kinda expected that the platoon would be targetted (on map at least) or failing that some indication of where they were. Even something on the '1' icon to give an idea of who I was directing. That was my only gripe.

Have you got a corpse/vehicle delete script in that would ease the burden on the server ?

Keep up the good work however. This is VERY good indeed.

Hey man, this is awesome but is there any possibility of an ACE version with BAF, US Army, and TK militia?

First impressions are good :) Like Kremator said, you do feel immersed.

Couple of comments

1. When as FAC, how do you remove A10 aircraft under your control

2. Flavor of the month comment from me, after being spoilt with ACRE is there any chance of making the mission ACRE friendly. I noticed ACRE effecting HC recognition note in top right corner.

3. Could you add the unflip functionality and change view distance?

As is always the case, no matter how good the mission is, people are going to request changes. I really liked the mission and appreciate what you and ALL other mission makers do! :) :)

Kremator:

HC should function same for Battalion Cmdr as for Platoon or Company Cmdrs, when you press your HC-button all platoons on map should get a circle and their name should end with # denoting what number on the HC Bar they are. I've only managed to make them selectable via the F-keys on the HC bar not on map as the real HighCommand does - this did bug a little during my weak betatests but I'll take a look at it today (you do get a HC bar at all? else the check for what platoons you may control failed in the very beginning like the bug I once noticed).

Be aware that it is not the BIS highCommand, it just looks similiar.

And yes, there is a "cleaning maid script" running removing all dead units. I've even made guards in towns disappear when the town/location isn't a front-town anymore so I'm trying as hard as I can to keep the performance alive (but I think I'll add this last one as a server parameter one day - too empty when operating as SF behind the lines. At least retain the camp guards and just remove the patrols as idle camp guards shouldn't eat too much CPU).

Maybe I should add the "Frontsector" versions too after all, where each side runs an inforced company rather than the reduced battalion. Think it could be preferred by some, especially SP players.

D.Scardino:

Nope, no ace from me. Ever.

mazza:

CAS planes are supposed to drop out with a message when fuel is below 25% or there are no weapons left (!someAmmo call) but in all honesty I've never tested this part and my pilots tend to get downed before this possibly can happen :)

Good note though and I think it would be suitable with a option to disengage the CAS plane so they return to "off map base" and restored the used aircrafts quantity (there's a maximum of 6 planes for each side, after that you'd better have a beer back at HQ or start calling in laser guided rounds from the battalion arty - unless you were given MLRS this game round :) )

I've used ACRE too but I'm not too impressed but I can't see why it should collide with the mission. I'll try it if I can get my ACRE up and running again.

Unflip is a good idea too, actually had a situation y'day where that would have been handy.

Viewdistance, isn't that editable on each client anyway? Or is it overridden by server? I never got the picture clear on this :)

No worries on change-requests, always good to hear new ideas (but I might not listen to all of them haha) - though this time I do not have the intention to create versions for all kind of addons like before so no Hexagon, Bwmod, FDF or such this time as I noticed I rarely play them - CDF/Chedakis or BAF is my preferred ones.

In other news:

I also had a player on my server in the AH-64 slot and it seems you don't get a gunner when "reinforced" - will fix this today as well (totally never betatested the pilot slots at all, only ai behaviour for the transport roles).

Btw, the Frontsector mode will have the "Quarter map" as default settings.

Hi Oden,

Didn't get the HC circles, on map or out of it. There were no move to icons on map. I do get the HC 1 to 11 as battalion commander and I can highlight them, but there is no way of seeing who you have targeted. Also there is no indication of enemy strength that I can then rage against!

I'm going to have another go later. Is there any chance of getting sitrep from smaller units under a commanders ( platoon, company or battalion ) ?

Very good news on other front sector missions!

Keep up the good work!

ODEN;1992770']

KeyCat' date=' pls feel welcome to my ded.server anytime, bring some nosig-ppl too :)

[/quote']

Will do mate, sent you a PM so please fill me in ;)

/KC

First post updated with regards to "Frontsector" and some minor undisclosed fixes.

Kremator, first post now have a HC screenshot, thats how it is supposed to look like and no, no view of enemy activity like in BIS highCommand as I can't stand MARTA icons. Let's call it fog of war :P

Sitreps are a good idea/feature just that kbTell spams all radio to all players and I don't want players to go insane - I'll see if I can make a player centric reporting system from sub-command units.

(got'ya KC)

QUOTE[ASA]

All: Forgot to tell you, mission may be played in SP

so, just drop in the the 'missions' folder?

Any chance you'll make a TvT version?

having a problem with HC as well. Cant identify which units Im controlling with so many units on the map. Since your not using the BIS HC system there is no circles around units, is that correct?

Well I wasn't getting the HC circles as you have shown. Repair of semi wrecked vehicles could be good, as the battlefield was littered with them!

Good news on sitrep.

Kommiekat: yes.

ryguy: well, there are slots for 42 players a side. You want ai to disappear?

gunterlund21: Nja, you should have circles as shown in the last picture in the first post

but you cannot click them etc. like in BIS highCommand.

Kremator: There is a repairtruck in each "depot-city" :)

I'll see if I can alter the color of selected units on the map. But first, I need to fly some more IL2-46 campaign in the desert by the great Poltava.

had some other problem on your server the other day, as a FAC i was spawned at random places around the map everytime i respawned. I think i tried some other slot too and got the same problem.

OT:-46? i thought COD was the thing to fly...oh wait we never fly...anything...but i have vacation now... :D

nope no circles. I looked at the mission and dont see the HC modules in there. Are you using a different method?

ODEN;1993675']Kommiekat: yes.

ryguy: well' date=' there are slots for 42 players a side. You want ai to disappear?

gunterlund21: Nja, you should have circles as shown in the last picture in the first post

but you cannot click them etc. like in BIS highCommand.

Kremator: There is a repairtruck in each "depot-city" :)

I'll see if I can alter the color of selected units on the map. But first, I need to fly some more IL2-46 campaign in the desert by the great Poltava.[/quote']

First post and missionpack updated.

HC-view now shows marked units in yellow and only marked units will have their target presented on the map.

AI units will now report to player commanders when taking damage - only in text as sideChat to not disturb other players in a MP environment.

Units going into reinforcement mode and heading back to the closest supply-town will call "abort" over radio (all players notified in MP) - not so common so it should not spam the radio system.

gunterlund21: Correct, there is no HC module in this mission, I'm just using the HC bar etc. for allowing player commanders to control their sub units. Did try the HC module in early stages but never got it to run well and I really dislike the MARTA markers.

Have a look at first post and it shows what you can expect to see in commander view (windows app-key default).

MR.[ASA]ODEN I have to say that I like the mission and you did some REALLY nice stuff with the design and setup of the mission. I think the game mode could catch on with others. I need to give you some real DIRECT FEEDBACK. We all know that chernus is a little laggy for most players:(

We played the mission last night with 6 players and most of the players had major lag issues. I had no major issues but my PC is a i5 2500k with 8 gb of ram and a 5970 vid card. I feel You need to make a few more changes to cut or limit the overall number of units/activity in chernus to get the game to run better so more players will continue to try and play this mission.

I know it sucks that you have a concept when making a mission but sometimes you need to cut back so the mission will flow better and more players can play the mission with no major lag issues. I hope you understand what I am saying. I like the mission and the whole design and setup but you need a good number of players to play this the right way and the lag issues is just a killer for most with this mission.

I think the concept and numbers are fine. This wont be for everyone if their server cannot keep up. That being said it does take a while to get your head around what a battalion commander will have to content with.

I found that the platoon commanders had a tough enough time as it was :)

Anyway, still not getting the yellow circles on the map in HC mode (nor was I getting their waypoints when I highlighted them in HC mode - which REALLY would help with planning who goes where)