Sign in to follow this  
SSgt Decker

What is wrong with the ARMA Community!

Well, first this is not a simulator. It's a VIDEO GAME that is the bottom line.

Oh, that's strange. I could've sworn on the box of ARMA2 it says "ARMA II: Ultimate Military Simulator".

Myke;1984739']I think we can all agree that the main thing we want is "tactical teamplay". And there starts the problem' date=' especially when playing with people you don't know already really well. So you have a bunch of people with varying experience, varying background (some might actually have real military experience, others not at all) and a lot of more unknown variables.

Now to successfully play as a team, it is necessary to have a certain discipline (not meaning the "yes, sir" thingy) which usually comes with a certain amount of training. How do i move in the group, what do i look for, how do i communicate via TS, how do i report contacts and so on. Since i play in a closed group i see these issues when a new member joins our group. Often his first enemy report sounds like this: "there is someone, right over there!". That is exactly what i hear over TS. Now try to spot the outcalled "someone" based on this. ;)

And here is the point where training kicks in. It teaches people "how do i and how not" so everyone can have a good experience when playing together.

Now, some clans insist of the "yes, sir" philosophy, others don't. It is just a matter of finding the clan/squad/group that fit with your personal style. Nothings wrong with the one or the other style.

But one thing should be clear: if you plan to play regulary with the (more or less) same bunch of people, a little training is unavoidable, just to have the same standard though all players.[/quote']

I hear what you are saying but there is a big differance between teaching someone how to play this GAME ie controls and how to follow a formation ect then training someone to play a game lol. Get a life it's a game. Yes you want to play with players who want to play like you do but try to hear what you are saying "training kicks in" lol, lol, lol.:D

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

Oh, that's strange. I could've sworn on the box of ARMA2 it says "ARMA II: Ultimate Military Simulator".

LOL wow it says on the box Simulator so it must be a Simulator! marketing 101

In your heart you know it's not a simulator it's a really good game that is more focus on teamwork then other games. lol it's says on the box:yay:

On another box:

Operation Flashpoint 2 features unparalleled levels of realism

Take up a law case about false advertising then if you feel it's incorrect.

Nope, didn't think so.

On another box:

Actually, it doesn't say that at all. It does say "Authentically detailed US Marine Corps weapons, vehicles, aircraft, munitions and tactics."

Edited by Hellfire257

I hear what you are saying but there is a big differance between teaching someone how to play this GAME ie controls and how to follow a formation ect then training someone to play a game lol. Get a life it's a game. Yes you want to play with players who want to play like you do but try to hear what you are saying "training kicks in" lol, lol, lol.

Well, it's a game like chess is a game...or Football. Most of the people of the world play these games for fun, not for a living or because they have to. But guess what, they do have trainings.

I'ts a game, learn it. If this is too much for you, well, your loss, not ours.

© Bohemia Interactive

.... is there a ragewar here? :o

But anyways, as much as ARMA is realistic and tactical.... it is not VBS!! Yes, VBS was based on ARMA with hardcore realism to the max, if you want some hardcore realism, there's your VBS. You can still play it tactical on ARMA, but you don't have to take it to the max that you have like no life. Like seriously.... I wouldn't dedicate my life on that. Aren't some of the realism units also like just some guys on the comp? Anyways, idiots always write stuff on the box that say "hardcore realism game". I even seen a run and gun description that say "MOST REALISTIC SHOOTER" and all i can say is "WTF".

I have to agree with Jake on this. Anyways, why is everyone just too serious :o with the hardcore realism stuff, some even get really butthurt to it, as for the public servers, they're just too much chaos that everyone takes it as a joke (crash choppers, friendly fire sometimes, etc)

The mission editor in ARMA, you can make anything you feel like. You can even have aliens, zombies, etc (with addons that is or scripts). IMO, what made ARMA really great was, all the creativity you can put in to it, its just that, people aren't taking this opportunity that they can do so much for ARMA yet they just don't.

(If my comment went all over the place, I'm sorry)

OMFG...lads, this is a sandbox game in every possible relation.

You don't like the squads how they play the game?

Go ahead and make your own squad. Find some people that would like to play the game the same way you want. Problem solved.

You don't like what missions the server plays?

There is a server exe included, go ahead and make your own server with the missions you like to play on. Problem solved.

You don't like the missions in general (no PvP of any sort or whatdoiknow)?

There is a mission editor included aswell a mighty scripting language. Go ahead and create the missions you would like to play. Problem solved.

The game is missing X or Y has to be different!

There are modding tools, almost everything is possible to create and bring into the game. And it doesn't cost you a single dime to do so. Problem solved.

Right now, everything that is asked for is that others should make squads you would like to play in, others should setup (and pay!) the servers you would like to play on, others should create the missions you would like to play and also others have to create the addons that make the game the way you want it.

Hell, get your finger out of your butthole and move yourself a little. Everyone else should do the work so that you can have fun. Excellent attitude.

But anyways, as much as ARMA is realistic and tactical.... it is not VBS!! Yes, VBS was based on ARMA with hardcore realism to the max, if you want some hardcore realism, there's your VBS. You can still play it tactical on ARMA, but you don't have to take it to the max that you have like no life. Like seriously.... I wouldn't dedicate my life on that. Aren't some of the realism units also like just some guys on the comp? Anyways, idiots always write stuff on the box that say "hardcore realism game". I even seen a run and gun description that say "MOST REALISTIC SHOOTER" and all i can say is "WTF".

I have to agree with Jake on this. Anyways, why is everyone just too serious :o with the hardcore realism stuff, some even get really butthurt to it, as for the public servers, they're just too much chaos that everyone takes it as a joke (crash choppers, friendly fire sometimes, etc)

The mission editor in ARMA, you can make anything you feel like. You can even have aliens, zombies, etc (with addons that is or scripts). IMO, what made ARMA really great was, all the creativity you can put in to it, its just that, people aren't taking this opportunity that they can do so much for ARMA yet they just don't.

You are the only person who understands what I mean. THANK YOU. & to everyone else, this is what I mean, I don't want to have to dedicate myself to some BS "clan" or "realism unit", I do have a life and other priorities. I have played this series since the beginning, & I don't need some nerd or older ex-military guy telling me how to play this game. I understand there are some "clans" that are less strict with everything and are laid back but really its just a group of friends that play together for a good time, there is no need to call yourselves a "clan". I have a small group of friends that plays a couple nights a week but we do not consider ourselves a "clan". And by the way this is not a simulator you jackasses, it's a VIDEO GAME, granted it is the best game out there, but in no way are you actually simulating anything. Pushing a button is not like firing a gun and neither is driving or flying a vehicle as simple as push and go. So appreciate this game for what its worth and play some CO-OP with us goddamn it! lol :cool:

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:58 PM ----------

Myke;1985041']OMFG...lads' date=' this is a sandbox game in every possible relation.

Go ahead and make your own squad. Find some people that would like to play the game the same way you want. Problem solved.

There is a server exe included, go ahead and make your own server with the missions you like to play on. Problem solved.

There is a mission editor included aswell a mighty scripting language. Go ahead and create the missions you would like to play. Problem solved.

There are modding tools, almost everything is possible to create and bring into the game. And it doesn't cost you a single dime to do so. Problem solved.

Right now, everything that is asked for is that [b']others[/b] should make squads you would like to play in, others should setup (and pay!) the servers you would like to play on, others should create the missions you would like to play and also others have to create the addons that make the game the way you want it.

Hell, get your finger out of your butthole and move yourself a little. Everyone else should do the work so that you can have fun. Excellent attitude.

LOL what the hell are you talking about!?!? I make my own missions and use my own server, the problem is people don't like playing missions any more, they just wana play in open respawn infinite lives warfare/domination, or with their "clan". Thats the whole point of this thread. IDK wtf ur coming from about me relying on others for entertainment...

You understand more then most.

Jake and I ARE TALKING ABOUT playing ARMA realistic and tactical with user made missions with limited units. players played like this all the time with OFP. Most open public servers who say they are hardcore and want realism play this game with respawns what a joke.

Clans who make players go thru training. lol For what, they don't play aganist other clans to see who plays better as a team. ARMA player vs player is almost dead now.

"Aren't some of the realism units also like just some guys on the comp?"YES.:yay::yay::yay::yay: Do you think that a real military officer would make up a clan for a game and make players do all that shit. Most clan leaders if they were in the military had no power and just want to do the things there could not do in real life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! order people around lol.

What's so hard to understand what we are saying. People can play this game anyway they want but I Wish for the old OFP days backwhere players played user made missions with limited units was the choice of play for most in the community.

@Jake34, I don't have too much time to dedicate myself to those stuff either. I got like sports, school, etc so I can play once in a while, I also like to create my own missions here and there. Truth is, a good amount of nice missions are created waiting to be played but sadly, no one touches them.

By the way, do you have steam or xfire? Or groups on those? I'd like to join if we want to play sometimes.

Jake and I we give it a look! DO you guys play user made missions or domination. Domination is ok if you play the Original that has limited Vehicles and lifes.

UO, 6th sense and CiA are playing user made missions all the time (and you are free to contribute)

Also if you've seen Sander's coop packs here or at Armaholic - that's what CiA plays.

Basically UO and 6th sense are good if you want to have bigger coops (or very very large in UO's case) where you just blast away enemies in bigger battles.

Comrades in Arms are good if you want to have something smaller with 10 people or less and focused more on stealth/combat avoidance to complete objectives not involving killing everyone.

I have to add though that I prefer "realism units" or strict clans more as they usually have a better organization due to same people always playing together with same standards applied to all - so people know how to properly play as a team. I just wish clans posted more videos on YouTube to show people how they play.

Well to be fair, it says Operation Flashpoint on the box of DR... and there's no way that game could pass as an OFP title.

---------- Post added at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

Myke;1985041']OMFG...lads' date=' this is a sandbox game in every possible relation.

Right now, everything that is asked for is that [b']others[/b] should make squads you would like to play in, others should setup (and pay!) the servers you would like to play on, others should create the missions you would like to play and also others have to create the addons that make the game the way you want it.

It would be nice of everyone had a similar attitude, but there are actually people here that seem to think their way is the only correct way, and it goes for people on all sides of this argument.

Like all of those people who think BIS should turn the game into a hardcore sim...

Isn't VBS2 lite good enough for a hardcore sim? Or ACE mod for some more goodies? Or maybe even Project Reality (Idk when that's coming).

Yes. It is my firm belief that anyone seeking 100% authentic/simulator realism should either buy VBS2 (or some other sim) or use mods. ArmA is a game.

I also personally think BIS should institute a feature lock for their next major iteration of RV and really polish, polish, polish (and refactor a lot of hardcoded things to config-based) what they have. But that's not the topic of this thread I guess (which is actually just a rant thread).

People can play this game anyway they want but I Wish for the old OFP days backwhere players played user made missions with limited units was the choice of play for most in the community.

So you're saying they can play it the way they want as long it fits with what you think is the right way? And because you fail to find some like-minded people to play with, there is a problem with the community?

As already being said, look for a squad that plays missions you'd like to play in a style that fits with yours. No need to make fun of people that chosen to go the hardcore way. It's their decision, nothing to laugh at.

Myke;1985204']So you're saying they can play it the way they want as long it fits with what you think is the right way? And because you fail to find some like-minded people to play with' date=' there is a problem with the community?

As already being said, look for a squad that plays missions you'd like to play in a style that fits with yours. No need to make fun of people that chosen to go the hardcore way. It's their decision, nothing to laugh at.[/quote']

YES sir, sorry sir! Private ... Avibird reporting for Duty sir. That's what I am laugh at sir. People still play life funcking life now that's funny but if that what makes you happy that's cool with me.

For the last time. What we are saying is this community is divided to much now. Players who want to just play user made missions have a hard time to find players/rooms. Most rooms are open domination/warfare missions or bull shit clan stuff. Yes some good groups are around but like I said in many other posts they stay in locked rooms. Just look around and you will see 2-5 players in rooms locked playing user made missions. 90% are dom/warfare and clan training. What are you training for! When was the last time your clan played a player vs player missions lol. DO YOU SEE THE LIGHT NOW SIR!

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

Sadly I don't think I can ever enjoy ArmA in MP until I can make several clones of myself. But I won't complain about it or blame BIS...

Myke;1985204']And because you fail to find some like-minded people to play with' date=' there is a problem with the community?

[/quote']

Thats a somewhat hostile way of interpreting what he said. I dont think that he criticised the very ambitioned clans. He rather meant the diversity has suffered. Back old days of OFP there was a broad bandwidth of preferences. Everyone found easily something that corresponded with his style of playing.

Since then the community has evolved, progressed and narrowed down to a level of professionality (and realism fetish) that leaves little space for casual gamers (I dont even want to think about the poor beginners :eek:). Admins have become frustrated with what was happening on their severs and implemented all sorts of smart barriers to keep the dirt out. Unfortunately also some casual gamers suffer from that.

As I said I do understand him very well. Though in Germany it took me less than an hour to find a good server where I felt welcome and everyone played in a professional but reasonable manner. Maybe this has become a little harder in the english speaking server landscape. And as he said, there is a difference between good and disciplined playing and having to call the squad leader "sir".

But getting back to beginners. They realy have a hard time nowadays. I believe many actually throw the game back into the shelf because the only server they can chose from (and are welcome) and the boring standard types.

However what fascinated me in the beginning of OFP were realy the great small squad mission experiences with others. Many nowadays have a hard time actually getting there. That is a sad development if we want to keep this series alive.

Edited by Albert Schweitzer

Thats a somewhat hostile way of interpreting what he said. I dont think that he criticised the very ambitioned clans. He rather meant the diversity has suffered. Back old days of OFP there was a broad bandwidth of preferences. Everyone found easily something that corresponded with his style of playing.

Since then the community has evolved, progressed and narrowed down to a level of professionality (and realism fetish) that leaves little space for casual gamers (I dont even want to think about the poor beginners :eek:). Admins have become frustrated with what was happening on their severs and implemented all sorts of smart barriers to keep the dirt out. Unfortunately also some casual gamers suffer from that.

As I said I do understand him very well. Though in Germany it took me less than an hour to find a good server where I felt welcome and everyone played in a professional but reasonable manner. Maybe this has become a little harder in the english speaking server landscape. And as he said, there is a difference between good and disciplined playing and having to call the squad leader "sir".

But getting back to beginners. They realy have a hard time nowadays. I believe many actually throw the game back into the shelf because the only server they can chose from (and are welcome) and the boring standard types.

However what fascinated me in the beginning of OFP were realy the great small squad mission experiences with others. Many nowadays have a hard time actually getting there. That is a sad development if we want to keep this series alive.

Albert Schweitzer I love you (lol), you really get what we are saying. I would play arma with you any day and call you sir. I think a lot of the community now never really played OFP back in the days. ARMA1 and warfare/domination missions that took over and this is what we have now. Your right most beginners never see the game for what it is or experiences great small to mid size squad missions with others.

Albert Schweitzer summed it up well, but I have to add that the elitist attitude of many community members really make things worse than they should be. We can never have such a diversely active MP community again if people don't drop the whole "ARMA is a sim; it must be played this way" act... Mods like ACE also don't help; they empower said elitist server admins.

YES sir, sorry sir! Private ... Avibird reporting for Duty sir. That's what I am laugh at sir. People still play life funcking life now that's funny but if that what makes you happy that's cool with me.

For the last time. What we are saying is this community is divided to much now. Players who want to just play user made missions have a hard time to find players/rooms. Most rooms are open domination/warfare missions or bull shit clan stuff. Yes some good groups are around but like I said in many other posts they stay in locked rooms. Just look around and you will see 2-5 players in rooms locked playing user made missions. 90% are dom/warfare and clan training. What are you training for! When was the last time your clan played a player vs player missions lol. DO YOU SEE THE LIGHT NOW SIR!

First, you might have noticed that i used "they" and not "we". You might go back and check my posts so far to see that i'm not in a realism unit at all. Just because i respect them and don't laugh at them doesn't mean i do like this style.

Second, it's still valid: if you miss something, become active. You miss the good old days, people playing together self designed missions in a relxed manner. So far all i can see is people ranting about, no one comin up with a solution or something he could contribute to.

How about making a website where people could advertise themselves, saying that they will be online with a own server at said times or whatever. So people could browse through and pick something up that could possibly fit.

You might have noticed that the average age of ArmA 2 players is slightly raised compared to other games. This usually means that times which they can play are often fixed and rather rare (you know, job, family, other RL stuff). So it remains valid: get up and do something rather than writing annoying rants. Sit down and make a concept, look for like-minded people that could help you to bring it up and runnin. By just writing rants nothing will change. If you want it to change, just do it.

Myke;1985290']First' date=' you might have noticed that i used "they" and not "we". You might go back and check my posts so far to see that i'm not in a realism unit at all. Just because i respect them and don't laugh at them doesn't mean i do like this style.

Second, it's still valid: if you miss something, become active. You miss the good old days, people playing together self designed missions in a relxed manner. So far all i can see is people ranting about, no one comin up with a solution or something he could contribute to.

How about making a website where people could advertise themselves, saying that they will be online with a own server at said times or whatever. So people could browse through and pick something up that could possibly fit.

You might have noticed that the average age of ArmA 2 players is slightly raised compared to other games. This usually means that times which they can play are often fixed and rather rare (you know, job, family, other RL stuff). So it remains valid: get up and do something rather than writing annoying rants. Sit down and make a concept, look for like-minded people that could help you to bring it up and runnin. By just writing rants nothing will change. If you want it to change, just do it.[/quote']

You are so far off what we are saying here. It's bohemia that needs to come up with a solution if ARMA games will continue nand get new player numbers were it need to be. PS. I only play designed missions with with realism in mind without all the yes sir bull shit it's a fucnking game. You really have no clue what we are talking about do you. Just pm jake he will give you our TS and lets play and chat more about this. I want to help you see that light my son and move out of the darkside. PS jake link a vid check it out clan/ realism units at it's best. THIS IS TOO FUNNY LOL!!! by jake on page 4 post #39.

Edited by AVIBIRD 1