Sign in to follow this  
SSgt Decker

What is wrong with the ARMA Community!

You still insist of making fun of people that have decided for themself to play the game in a manner that doesn't fit to your POV.

And never ever again say "my son" to me, probably i'm much older than you and do not accept in any way to be called "my son" from a person like you.

And yes, it's a f***in game, a game usually has rules how to play it. These rules have to be learned, learning takes time and effort. Both i can't see you're willing to invest. Maybe this game isn't for you then, better look for a alternative game that fits better the way you play, where you easier find people you would like to play with.

BIS can't do shit about how people decide to play it, they make a game as open as possible and leave it to the player what they do with. Some play Dom/Evo/Warfare, some decide to join a realism unit with all the "yes sir" stuff and some other join a squad just to meet friends and have a good time with. What do you expect BIS to do? Take you by the hand and point you to a room you can play in? I really don't see a problem that couldn't be solved by some self initiative.

Obviously you know where the holy grail is so why don't you go ahead and show us how to find it? So far the only thing i see from you're side is...well...nothing worth to mention. Change that.

@AVIBIRD 1:

You don't get the picture. People lock their rooms to prevent troublemakers that ruin their game. The other day I had a near 24 hour non stop session in a single Domination game on a public server - just to remind me of old times. And the stuff I saw just made me wanna cry out loud. It was a ranked game (which I hate) and with all the easy crap enabled (which I hate), but it was the only server I could find that had people on it.

I eventually ranked high enough to tank. I asked for people to join me and didn't even get a response. So I provided overwatch from far away and kept the tank alive for hours (I know how to deal with fighters and attack helis - exit the tank :p). The weird part was that I often reached the next target before the others (really far targets I didn't bother with). Eventually in base I got somebody to gun while I drove. Next target (reinforcement based) he blasted away on everything he saw, and all around us were friendly vehicles shot out as they drove right into a hot zone. Reinforcement start arriving, and we're out of ammo - way away from base/reammo. Then we took a hit disabling the main gun and I ejected. I call for engineer who gets up there, fixes the tank, and then snatches it. I manage to call him back, then he drives it right into the target zone "for destruction" because it's easier to lift it home than drive it. Of course the tank got shot out and we died. I mean WTF is going on? Same happened at another target zone, where my tank got destroyed because other people wanted to have fun with it.

During the whole session I don't think I lost a single tank due to own actions (I somehow managed to RTB everytime I took a good hit). I have some understanding of tank warfare (based on reading), but I am definitely not a tanker boy, I even think it's the first time I've used one in Domination/OA. So why the hell did I keep my stuff alive for so long while others pretty much lost their equipment once they reached the hot zone? Answer: they don't have the patience to try to survive, it's all about the damn action.

Several times I was up at 100:1 k:d ratio (ended up with score 1416 with 19 deaths, and 3 known teamkills incl a friendly tank which suddenly appeared in the middle of an otherwise empty target zone - my bad), which was new experience for me, but again, server was setup with really easy options. Before night when most people started leaving, almost all my deaths was result from other players utter stupidity. You wouldn't believe the number of people kicked for shooting at base or placing satchels at base (myself included, by accident - stupid action menu!) - repeatedly.

I play serious missions too. But only in closed rooms. Can you imagine why? In Domination when idiots play it doesn't hurt the mission all that much. In a serious mission, it can (and have) ruin(ed) everything. I recently released Domino, which is a more serious edit of Domination (read the info), but guess what - nobody cares (not unexpected) - and nobody plays it - and those who do can't read the notes so they go into battle well prepared. Much of the convenientness that most (highly casual) gamers want is removed. Not preparing for battle, loosing stuff, including the initiative, really hurts there - but most players want the easy game modes. Not anything you or me can do about it.

Note that I have played highly well organized Domination sessions too. And they rock beyond belief! Don't blame the mission. Blame firstly the players for not having a desire to play more realistic, and secondly the public hosts for wanting to attract players by setting up way too simple server and mission settings.

As for I want to help you see that light my son and move out of the darkside. C'mon, please...

I highly recommend you to join a squad. You will have so much more fun when you find a squad that suits your style of playing. There are squads who play without that Training and yes sir stuff

I second that advice!

@AVIBIRD 1:

You don't get the picture. People lock their rooms to prevent troublemakers that ruin their game. The other day I had a near 24 hour non stop session in a single Domination game on a public server - just to remind me of old times. And the stuff I saw just made me wanna cry out loud. It was a ranked game (which I hate) and with all the easy crap enabled (which I hate), but it was the only server I could find that had people on it.

I eventually ranked high enough to tank. I asked for people to join me and didn't even get a response. So I provided overwatch from far away and kept the tank alive for hours (I know how to deal with fighters and attack helis - exit the tank :p). The weird part was that I often reached the next target before the others (really far targets I didn't bother with). Eventually in base I got somebody to gun while I drove. Next target (reinforcement based) he blasted away on everything he saw, and all around us were friendly vehicles shot out as they drove right into a hot zone. Reinforcement start arriving, and we're out of ammo - way away from base/reammo. Then we took a hit disabling the main gun and I ejected. I call for engineer who gets up there, fixes the tank, and then snatches it. I manage to call him back, then he drives it right into the target zone "for destruction" because it's easier to lift it home than drive it. Of course the tank got shot out and we died. I mean WTF is going on? Same happened at another target zone, where my tank got destroyed because other people wanted to have fun with it.

During the whole session I don't think I lost a single tank due to own actions (I somehow managed to RTB everytime I took a good hit). I have some understanding of tank warfare (based on reading), but I am definitely not a tanker boy, I even think it's the first time I've used one in Domination/OA. So why the hell did I keep my stuff alive for so long while others pretty much lost their equipment once they reached the hot zone? Answer: they don't have the patience to try to survive, it's all about the damn action.

Several times I was up at 100:1 k:d ratio (ended up with score 1416 with 19 deaths, and 3 known teamkills incl a friendly tank which suddenly appeared in the middle of an otherwise empty target zone - my bad), which was new experience for me, but again, server was setup with really easy options. Before night when most people started leaving, almost all my deaths was result from other players utter stupidity. You wouldn't believe the number of people kicked for shooting at base or placing satchels at base (myself included, by accident - stupid action menu!) - repeatedly.

I play serious missions too. But only in closed rooms. Can you imagine why? In Domination when idiots play it doesn't hurt the mission all that much. In a serious mission, it can (and have) ruin(ed) everything. I recently released Domino, which is a more serious edit of Domination (read the info), but guess what - nobody cares (not unexpected) - and nobody plays it - and those who do can't read the notes so they go into battle well prepared. Much of the convenientness that most (highly casual) gamers want is removed. Not preparing for battle, loosing stuff, including the initiative, really hurts there - but most players want the easy game modes. Not anything you or me can do about it.

Note that I have played highly well organized Domination sessions too. And they rock beyond belief! Don't blame the mission. Blame firstly the players for not having a desire to play more realistic, and secondly the public hosts for wanting to attract players by setting up way too simple server and mission settings.

As for I want to help you see that light my son and move out of the darkside. C'mon, please...

I feel your pain :)

But, while most of what you wrote is perfectly valid, some of it is the result of gaming the game (or mission). You said it yourself:

he drives it right into the target zone "for destruction" because it's easier to lift it home than drive it

... for a casual gamer, that makes sense. But I can fully understand the frustration.

@AVIBIRD 1:

Hit the nail on the head their mate, truer words regarding domination I have never read... I'll be taking a look at that domino aswell, though my clan has been lazy during these hard (hot) times...

CarlGustaffa a game mode needs to teach players to work together and play sensible.

If it does not, players won't. See the source now?

And by the way this is not a simulator you jackasses, it's a VIDEO GAME, granted it is the best game out there, but in no way are you actually simulating anything. Pushing a button is not like firing a gun and neither is driving or flying a vehicle as simple as push and go. So appreciate this game for what its worth and play some CO-OP with us goddamn it! lol :cool:

DEFINITION:SIMULATE

1. Imitate the appearance or character of

2. Pretend to have or feel (an emotion)

3. Produce a computer model of

4. (Simulation) "The process of designing a model of a real system and conducting experiments with this model for the purpose of understanding the behavior of the system and/or evaluating various strategies for the operation of the system".

5. Simulation is the imitation of some real thing, state of affairs, or process. The act of simulating something generally entails representing certain key characteristics or behaviours of a selected physical or abstract system.

Source: Google

ArmA 2 is not a simulator, and cannot be used to simulate a combat or military environment?

Oh, my mistake.

ArmA 2 focuses on simulating a realistic military environment on a computer. It just so happens that doing this also offers entertainment for many different types of people and as a result we class ArmA 2 as a video game. Is it really so hard to understand?

Stop being so stubborn and pull your head in.

Edited by hungrytoheal

You won't teach a player that didn't come to play ArmA but to play BF-on-a-big-map to work as a team.

Remember that for casual player "working as a team" means having map markers on and just riding where everyone is using whatever he can grab at a base.

Domination perfectly provides for this kind of Battlefield-ish gameplay. It isn't really a coop mission at all.

A "military sim" is not just one of those casual/mainstream shooters and more people do enjoy to play A2OA in a different way. Nothing wrong with it.

Of course there are always people who think thats an perfect idea to dumb the gameplay/missions down to the least common denominator. Hey there are even people who would like to disable friendly fire eg no wounds/kills from bullets... how one should learn that bullets do harm if they start with a magic bulletshield? Isn't the extra armor option ingame not enough? Or does A2OA needs more of those players who can't communicate and can't hold fire... :rolleyes:

If there were only game developers/publishers who care for profit all sim games would be abandoned. HAWX would be the ultimate flightsim, CoD/BF & Co. series military standard sim...

[OT]

Hey, as you know, american football isn't that popular in europe like, let's say, soccer. I mean, everyone loves soccer, be it playing or only watching it. It is really a big business where they count in billions$, while football is just a niche sport over here. So i had some thoughts how to make it more popular so more would like to play and watch it.

First, what's up with the ball? Once it hits the ground it's path is unpredictable. Impossible to play that way. So let's make the ball nicely round, it will be much better to handle.

Second, don't play with hands. On a grass field it's not that good. You have more power in the feet but less control so it makes it more of a challenge to get the (round) ball through the defenders.

This would also mean that the fieldgoals are inappropriate now. Why do they have up in the air? Just put it on the ground. This would look much better and also would be easier to hit with the ball.

Also straighten up the rules. I mean common, carrying a ball over the field, what kind of challenge is this? Making a goal, this is a challenge!

And while we're on it, remove those stuff what i would call "body armor" from the players. It's a game, not a warzone. It makes the players just slow and clunky. Removing this armor will give back the agility they would need to play such a game with fun.

If people are willing to make these changes to american football, this would make it so popular in europe, it could even compete with soccer. Hope you all agree to these points so we can see much more games of european football in tv and have much more clubs offering it as a sport.

Peace.

[/OT]

Arma 2 is a simulator.

There's always rugby...

Soccer, American Football, Rugby, they all rule!

Domi can be fun if played organised, and a big nightmare if not

Myke;1985588'][OT]

Hey' date=' as you know, american football isn't that popular in europe like, let's say, soccer. I mean, everyone loves soccer, be it playing or only watching it. It is really a big business where they count in billions$, while football is just a niche sport over here. So i had some thoughts how to make it more popular so more would like to play and watch it.

First, what's up with the ball? Once it hits the ground it's path is unpredictable. Impossible to play that way. So let's make the ball nicely round, it will be much better to handle.

Second, don't play with hands. On a grass field it's not that good. You have more power in the feet but less control so it makes it more of a challenge to get the (round) ball through the defenders.

This would also mean that the fieldgoals are inappropriate now. Why do they have up in the air? Just put it on the ground. This would look much better and also would be easier to hit with the ball.

Also straighten up the rules. I mean common, carrying a ball over the field, what kind of challenge is this? Making a goal, [b']this[/b] is a challenge!

And while we're on it, remove those stuff what i would call "body armor" from the players. It's a game, not a warzone. It makes the players just slow and clunky. Removing this armor will give back the agility they would need to play such a game with fun.

If people are willing to make these changes to american football, this would make it so popular in europe, it could even compete with soccer. Hope you all agree to these points so we can see much more games of european football in tv and have much more clubs offering it as a sport.

Peace.

[/OT]

WOW, You have no clue about american football and you have no clue what I am saying the real issue with this game and community is now. On a side note I am older then you son!. You don't know what type of player I am or the type of missions we play as a group. PM Jake and he will give you our TS so we can chat and maybe run a few missions. This is my Peace Offering to you:) have a great day:cool:

Arma 2 is a simulator.

I really hope nobody is trying to use ArmA 2 to train for combat. That's what VBS is for.

ArmA 2 is a simulation game. It has a story and all other features of a typical game, but with a higher fidelity of realism than most others.

Simulators also enforce realism and certain interactions with the player, ArmA 2 does not. ArmA 2 is a sandbox; it does not reflect all aspects of the real world (especially the lack of unnatural consequences).

In what way does Call of Duty or Battlefield simulate a military environment?

The sounds and the graphics for starters.

Jam on my eyes when I'm wounded, REALISTIC! :yay:

But all sounds in BF and CoD are unrealistic and visually it just shows a lot of hollywood'ish effects and combat that have nothing to do with how war really is

This thread sounds, smells and feels like the other zillion threads out there about this subject, can't people just stick to the existing threads?

The way I see it now, the ArmA community is becoming divided. Every night I get on this game and throw my own missions up on my server and no one joins out of the whole night.
Interesting - First complain about the arma community becoming divided, and then complain about people not joining your (divided) server :)

In any case - people are / the world is divided, it is nothing new to have clans/communities/"islands" as some call them.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with it either. (Diversity is human nature)

And as always, blaming is of little use, if you want to see change, make it happen.

Edited by Sickboy

This thread sounds, smells and feels like the other zillion threads out there about this subject, can't people just stick to the existing threads?

Interesting - First complain about the arma community becoming divided, and then complain about people not joining your (divided) server :)

In any case - people are / the world is divided, it is nothing new to have clans/communities/"islands" as some call them.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with it either.

And as always, blaming is of little use, if you want to see change, make it happen.

Ah, the Gospel according to Sickboy!

This man speaketh the truth!

I really hope nobody is trying to use ArmA 2 to train for combat. That's what VBS is for.

I hope nobody is trying to use VBS to train for combat :) that's what boots, mud, rain and abuse is for. ;)

VBS trains soldiers in procedures.

OK it's a fine line but I thought I'd interject :D

how about you start telling us about another of those "simulator" kind you love...conmasters?

But all sounds in BF and CoD are unrealistic and visually it just shows a lot of hollywood'ish effects and combat that have nothing to do with how war really is

OMG! This post is about ARMA2 and the lack of open servers/rooms that play realistic missions. Lack of ability with this GAME to meet and hook up with players of the same mind set without joining a clan/unit.

Real Coop players who HOST MISSIONS IN locked rooms because of cheating and people fucking around during missions. The game needs to have a way for the host to prevent cheating in his room, a better in game chat system and a waiting lobby for players who are not currently playing, which the host can let play if he wants and if AI units are still alive in the mission.

Please lets not talk about BF/COD this is all about how the ARMA COMMUNITY can GROW and move back towards the days of OFP when player made missions was the king of gameplay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some people just cannot stand to see Cod or BF etc so much as mentioned without kicking off about how rubbish they think it is. There seems to be a heavy partisan element on these boards, if you so much as find one, single thing about another game that you actually like, then it means your a 100% console moron.

Frankly this approach makes me shit.