Sign in to follow this  
Joe98

Tutorials that teach how to use the different menus in various situations

Menu 6 is called the “Action menuâ€. It states this clearly in the manual. Yet I have had Operation Arrowhead for 9 months now and only learnt this last night!

Let one tutorial, cover the Space bar and the different orders that can be given in different situations

Let one tutorial cover the orders that can be given from menus 1,2 and 3.

Let one tutorial cover the orders given from menu 6 in different situations.

And so on and so forth.

-

I made this image that I just leave in the background (I play windowed) so I can easily remember which key starts which action.

vnllL.jpg

There are tutorial missions ingame which do show the usage of different menus. Its up to you to get used to menus/command options via missions or editor (setup simple missions / using mission wizard).

Practice makes perfect! :)

There are tutorial missions ingame which do show the usage of different menus.

[/QUote]

Which shows the use of: Space?

Which shows the use of: 6 Action?

None.

I have had Operation Arrowhead for 8 months and only just learnt about these.

How can I practise something I don't know exists?

-

Its called self-exploring, the feature of thinking people :) What is the purpose of this topic?

Are you blind or just using a illegal copy of OA without the "Boot Camp" = training/tutorial missions?

Btw it takes less than 10 seconds to search & find AI squad command features.

Are you blind or just using a illegal copy of OA without the "Boot Camp" = training/tutorial missions?

Operation Arrowhead first aid tutorial teaches me how to apply first aid to myself and how to apply first aid to another soldier.

As a squad commander in a scenario I am not a medic so I cannot heal anybody!

And the tutorial refers to the Space bar as the Action menu. This is wrong! "6" is the action menu.

What the tutorial does not do, is teach me how to give an order to a medic to heal another soldier.

What the tutorial does not do, is let you know that "6 Action" actually exists!

I have started many a mission, selected "6 Action" to find the menu empty !

I have played many a scenario with wounded soldiers becasue I followed the tutorial, selected Space bar, and there is no order to heal that soldier.

The other night I selected "6" by mistake and found the order!

-

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

Its called self-exploring, the feature of thinking people

Start 14 missions and select "6 Action". The menu is empty

Now start a 15th mission and select "6 Action". Its still empty.

That was my self-exploring

=

What is the purpose of this topic?

To point out that in all the tutorials, there is no use of menu "6 Action".

To point out that in at least one tutorial, the Space bar is incorrectly referred to as the Action menu.

-

Its called self-exploring, the feature of thinking people :) What is the purpose of this topic?

Completely wrong attitude. The lack of proper explanation of these menus is a major reason why many newbies don´t get into the game.

People nowadays don´t have the time to explore every facette of the command menu. It took me TEN YEARS to figure it out completely and learn to use every command according to its purpose. Of that, five years of nonstop playing of OFP, Arma and Arma 2.

I hope to see this averted in A3. What is needed, in my opinion, is the following:

-Revision of the Command menu to streamline it and making it more accessible.

-Detailed tutorials explaining every single command menu, and how to use it.

-Detailed tutorials teaching the new player how to best employ his AI subordinates. Teaching basic infantry tactics, and also explaining the equipment.

-Further improvement and enhancement of the contextual menu. This also needs to be explained in detail by a dedicated tutorial.

BI, think of it this way: If you introduce a function, you can´t expect the player, who may come from a completely different gaming background, to be able to immediately figure it out by themselves. Attention spans are short and precious. See to it that the players are taught how to succeed, before they run out of patience due to frustration or boredom.

My two cents.

There's a guy who went through and made a comprehensive tutorial on every single action you could do with the AI, its somewhere in these forums... Be warned though, by 'comprehensive' I mean it... its a total of about 4 hours long, but its divided into chapters/sections.

What the tutorial does not do, is teach me how to give an order to a medic to heal another soldier.

What the tutorial does not do, is let you know that "6 Action" actually exists!

I have started many a mission, selected "6 Action" to find the menu empty !

-

To give an order to a unit [in your team] you first have to select it - e.g, if your medic is #4 then hit F4. After this, hitting 6 will list the commands you can give. Alternatively, select the medic then aim at the unit needing a medic (or the red-starred icon if the unit is out of sight), & use the context menu to select "Heal ..."

BR

Orcinus

To give an order to a unit [in your team] you first have to select it - e.g, if your medic is #4 then hit F4. After this, hitting 6 will list the commands you can give.

Alternatively, select the medic then aim at the unit needing a medic (or the red-starred icon if the unit is out of sight), & use the context menu to select "Heal ..."

Now, imagine if this was in a tutorial !

And context menus change depending upon the context. Imagine if there was a tutorial showing each of the different contexts.

The I would not have had to wait 9 months to discover that menu 6 is a context menu.

-

The I would not have had to wait 9 months to discover that menu 6 is a context menu.

Exactly - you like to get all on a silver platter while all the other players could figure it out playing (tutorial/bootcamp) missions or using the editor... 9 month or more laziness FTW! :rolleyes:

Most important menu in my opinion is ... 5 - 4. I'm injured!

Exactly - you like to get all on a silver platter while all the other players could figure it out playing (tutorial/bootcamp) missions or using the editor... 9 month or more laziness FTW! :rolleyes:

SO WRONG!!

Who in their right mind would have bought this thing knowing they had to spend 9+ months trying to figure out HOW to play it.

The only reason I'm still struggling with it after almost 3 years is because the possibilities are fascinating.

And as far as I can tell , even the BI staff aren't really too sure what some of the commands are supposed to do.

BTW - get hold of mr-murrays guide. It's for ArmA but most of the info is still relevant.It geared towards scenario development but there's TONS of useful info in there about weapons , commands etc.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=112767&highlight=mr-murray

Edited by BeerHunter

SO WRONG!!

BTW - get hold of Dr. Murrays guide. It geared towards scenario development but there's TONS of useful info in there about weapons , commands etc.

Yeah, what Beerhunter said :)

Also - for general gameplay, look at the [huge!] "ArmA2 Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures Guide", a bible on how to play & survive:

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/

& also the Hints and Tips sections of the BI Wiki:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Category:Hints_%26_Tips

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_II_Hints_and_Tips

Also look at Baz's great video guide "Comprehensive and In-Depth guide to commanding your AI squad", see:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=12120

Before you hit the download link, be sure to visit the link just above it (ehow.com) for details of how to avoid the 72 MB limit of the download site.

Have fun!

Orcinus

Exactly - you like to get all on a silver platter while all the other players could figure it out playing (tutorial/bootcamp) missions or using the editor... 9 month or more laziness FTW!

Ok.

Start a tutorial and hit "6". The menu is blank

Start a game and hit "6". The menu is blank.

I tried all the menus many times. "6" is always blank.

Its not laziness. "6" is always blank:

(except the day I found by accident it is a context menu and that day it was not blank)

Nowhere in the tutorials nor in the manual nor in the editor is there a comment that "6" is a contexual menu.

-

Not sure if serious, or just dumb.

Start boot camp / tutorial "Team Command" mission and read the description.

(Of course you have to select a unit with F1-F12 keys or all with "~" key before using certain menu/action to see what orders available...)

Well I have to admit the tutorial could have been better. At minimum, check before release that everything is correct (iirc some were given the wrong number in the tutorial). Keep in mind, there are still guys around who have played for a long time and still don't know what all the commands actually do, or at least is supposed to do. Like fire vs open fire. Engage vs attack. Are even formations explained anywhere?

Now compare to other sims, like the manuals for DCS Blackshark or Falcon 4.0 - notice the kilos worth of difference? It would be better if we could tell people to read the manual than calling them dumb...

Not sure if serious, or just dumb.

Neither. The tutorial is incomplete.

-

Start boot camp / tutorial "Team Command" mission and read the description.

It fails to describe all the things that menu "6" can be used for.

I know of 2 things menu "6" can be used for. A proper tutorial would give examples of all the things it can be used for.

-