Sign in to follow this  
Adjutant

Weapon Lock

If a friendly runs into your line of fire, be him human or AI, well that's just bad luck or stupidity on his part. I don't think there should be a 'trigger lock' if your gun is aimed on a friendly, if you shoot him that's too bad, most people should or will eventually know better to run around behind friendlies and not where their weapons are facing.

As for recognizing friend from foe, learn the camo patterns, learn the helmets and gear. I know in ArmA2 it was a bit tricky since both units were 'green' and could be difficult at a distance, but in that case it's best not to shoot until you confirm. I've commit plenty of friendly fire incidents myself, it's annoying, but it happens and is part of the frustration and fun, just like when your CAS attacks a ground unit that they didn't confirm with you before and team kills 12 people.

I would say that realy it's a non-issue for playing with other people as has been said befor in this thread, real peopl should call out if they're crossing your line of fire or peel behind you. So realy this kind of "feature" is a short cut to stopping problems with AI, why not look at the reasons you want this kind of thing to begin with. Rather than asking for such a short cut to begin with that is realy the start of a slipery slope.

No. No a thousand times. If you don't have situational awareness, don't shoot.

If someone needs these kinds of coddling they should log off and go play CoDBlOps or other games that BFoons enjoy. :)

First of all, we now have 'Frag out' dialog. People should throw their grenades in rational places.

Second of all, although the weapon lock would be nice since AI are too stupid to avoid running two inches in front of you, I think it would be difficult to implement and take a lot of system resources. The engine never knows where a bullet is going to hit. It would have to precisely measure the exact position, bearing and speed of a friendly unit, and perhaps even guess whether you were going to fire. This just isn't feasible on a server that can't even get troops to run without warping.

And it's really not such a huge issue.

I think your squad should shout grenade out and thats about it.... I dont understand this weapons lock thing... You want it to stop shooting when someone wanders in front of you?

Thats not how it works... TBH I dont have the AI run in front of me suddenly that often... And the odd time that it does happen... Well it happens IRL too.... I Can maybe understand the grenade indicator.... But I think it should depend on what ground you're on to notice it better... I assume if it landed on the ground next to you in grass it would be harder to notice than if it landed near you on tarmac....

Isn't this non-issue just a players fault in mp?

It would be great if AI's doesn't move suddenly in front of player while player is firing at enemies.

Perhaps something stricter movement like - "if player is firing - do run/walk/crawl only behind him"?

hi,

This just isn't feasible on a server that can't even get troops to run without warping.

Agree, I prefer to see ressuorces alocated to AI and to avoid this anoying warping. But if new players feel more confortable with this feature and if it is only in cadet and/or as option I don't mind.

cya.

Nikiller.

In many cases it is difficult to control the friendly fire hazard when the 90 degree FOV is combined with operating in a close formation. This is especially important in an urban setting where the limited situational awareness increases the risk of such accidents.

1. The subject is not about IFF. It is about friendlies running into your line of fire or not knowing that you have just thrown a grenade into a room.

2. If somebody breaks from your formation and runs 5 metres in front of you without giving any warning, the weapon lock detects when he is dangerously close to the firing line and stops the shooter. A certain range threshold needs to be in place and 15-30 metres would be sufficient as IFF is not an issue there.

3. The normal rules for IFF will apply if an unidentified person is in your sights at say 100 metres and if you make a mistake you can potentially kill a friendly (weapon lock will not interfere).

4. If however, the shooter already has the weapon sighted and is engaging a target, the onus is on his team members to avoid running into the fire line. A suitable penalty can apply for reckless and malicious behaviour.

5. Finally a 3-dimensional circle grenade indicator can highlight where a friendly grenade is thrown to units in sufficient proximity. This greatly helps when voice chat is unavailable for one reason or another. The indicator is mostly beneficial in clearing buildings as it will ensure that each player has the warning not to enter a particular room.

Your brain has a really powerful Weapon Lock build in. Yoru eye detects somebody erratically moving into your line of fire and you stop pulling the trigger.

If you don't see him because you are looking through optics its really bad for him if he moves through when you decide to engage the enemy. Things like that happen. Nothing to break a sweat about. This is a military sim in which positioning and movement is about 60% of your survival chance...

In many cases it is difficult to control the friendly fire hazard when the 90 degree FOV is combined with operating in a close formation. This is especially important in an urban setting where the limited situational awareness increases the risk of such accidents.

I never had such an accident. Why probably because I always try to keep track of where friendlies are and don't fire at everything that moves to get the most frags to feel leet.

And if one fireteam is operating in the same area as another fireteam you are doing something really wrong.

It is about friendlies running into your line of fire or not knowing that you have just thrown a grenade into a room.

You are to blame. Why didn't you shout that you are throwing a grenade?

If somebody breaks from your formation and runs 5 metres in front of you without giving any warning, the weapon lock detects when he is dangerously close to the firing line and stops the shooter. A certain range threshold needs to be in place and 15-30 metres would be sufficient as IFF is not an issue there.

No the moron should be killed by your bullets. Next time he won't run in front of your gun. It's really perfect now.

The normal rules for IFF will apply if an unidentified person is in your sights at say 100 metres and if you make a mistake you can potentially kill a friendly (weapon lock will not interfere).

No.

If however, the shooter already has the weapon sighted and is engaging a target, the onus is on his team members to avoid running into the fire line. A suitable penalty can apply for reckless and malicious behaviour.

No.

Finally a 3-dimensional circle grenade indicator can highlight where a friendly grenade is thrown to units in sufficient proximity. This greatly helps when voice chat is unavailable for one reason or another. The indicator is mostly beneficial in clearing buildings as it will ensure that each player has the warning not to enter a particular room.

No. Select "Direct Channel", press CAPS LOCK, shout "frag out!" into your mic, ?????, profit!

I don't want to learn to play the game, BIS please turn it into another CoD clone.

Edited by metalcraze

Yeah TBH you shouldnt be chucking grenades in the same room as your mates.... I cant understand are you asking for the cod style snap aiming?

I really disagree with this.

A more easy solution, without locking the ability to shoot is a ingame built system a la "ShackTac Fireteam HUD (STHUD)"

With the option to be turned off in server options.

Hmm Big Dawg KS do you mean something like a "simulate" feature in Frozzen Synapse? Would be mostly interesting for HighCommand system or matches with/against some really badass AI's... :D

I think this is one of the key aspects of the game, friendly fire. If you kill accidentally a team mate, being it AI or player, ahead of the formation, it's your fault, if he/she/it runs in front of you when you are engaging enemies ahead of the formation, then it's either his/her fault or the programmers fault, as they did not make the AI smarter :) just kidding.

What will the next request be?

An option to turn on an auto aim feature so that new players could give more experienced players a run for their money..

An autorun feature would be cool, select a destination on the map and your character runs there whilst you go and watch some TV.

An autorun feature would be cool, select a destination on the map and your character runs there whilst you go and watch some TV.

Mouse/macro recorder.

also a heavyish weight on your keybord to keep the forward bottun down. good for a flat space of land or sea.

;)

also good for chern life, if you want to go AFK and it will mine oil, store it in your truck sell it also just need to record to mouse movments and clicks then hit play simples

We get you don't like this threads idea, your opinions are fine but to turn a thread into absolute crap with your bullshit. Dude, grow up - stop trolling and taking the topic elsewhere.

Edited by Rye

We get you don't like this threads idea, your opinions are fine but to turn a thread into absolute crap with your bullshit. Dude, grow up - stop trolling and taking the topic elsewhere.

Jesus where did all of this come from.

As you said my opinions are fine, but how am i turning a thread into absolute crap with my bullshit? i need to grow up? am trolling???

The man above me had an opinion and i offerd a suggestion thats workable.

no need for the hostile responce.