Sign in to follow this  
-martin-

Windows 8

Ok guys,

I read about Windows 8 in a magazine and then searched it up on the internet and came to this:

Windows_8_Start_Screen.png

Apparently this is how Windows 8 will look when you start it up; you will see the "start screen" instead of the desktop. Maybe there will also be a classic desktop you can switch to or a different version of Windows 8 where there will be a normal desktop, I don't know, but I don't see Windows 8 as being a good OS for developers with this new home screen, it looks like a good OS from some tablet where content is just consumed but not for a PC where content is created.

EDIT: Apparently Windows 8 is also “designed for touchâ€, again this might be good for consuming content but not for creating. Once I tried out one of those all-in-one PCs with a touch screen and after 30 minutes I went back to the mouse and keyboard, my hand was too uncomfortable and hurting to continue like that. Typing on the touch screen monitor at a 90 degree angle was also a pain in the ass.

I'm not so sure about this new concept but I think I will most likely stay with Windows 7 :crazy:

What are your thoughts or info on this?

Edited by -Martin-

The new UI is ugly as hell but I read that there is indeed a switch to change it back to the usual desktop style. Hopefully with that enabled it doesn't look anything like this garbage that looks like it was done with MS Word and Paint. :rolleyes:

As long as I can make it look like Windows 98 I don't really care.

Please no touchscreen optimized crap

I do find it funny how they're optimizing it for touchscreens when there's so little people with touchscreen monitors.

Just because they are optimising it for touchscreen does not mean normal users will suffer.

Although the new user interface is designed and optimized for touch, it works equally well with a mouse and keyboard.

You should

be wary of believing everything you read about Windows 8, for the most part its just rumour ;)

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2011/jun11/06-01corporatenews.aspx

Technology advancement my ass... it's all just trends and marketing.

I swear every couple of years everyone tries to reinvent the wheel...

Not only that but they try to make everything less complicated to a degree that even a brian dead chuimp can do something with it. Sadly they also restrict the proffessionals.

Bugger.

I haven't even tried Windows 7 yet.

You should, its fantastic (yes it really is, I was very surprised after the Vista desaster)

You shouldn't if you plan to go back to XP afterwards. Even though it might seem there aren't that many changes, XP will simply feel awkward to use once you try 7 for a reasonable amount of time.

You shouldn't if you plan to go back to XP afterwards. Even though it might seem there aren't that many changes, XP will simply feel awkward to use once you try 7 for a reasonable amount of time.

But why would you want to go back? :rolleyes: Seven is kickass.

But why would you want to go back? :rolleyes: Seven is kickass.

might be kick ass but mines messed up and i cant upgrade to service pack 1

i had four Microsoft monkeys working on the problem and no one could fix it :mad:

i want service pack 1!!!!!! :coop:

It's just a UI for tablets and touchscreen computers... conventional PC users won't have to bother with the new interface.

It's just a UI for tablets and touchscreen computers... conventional PC users won't have to bother with the new interface.

Exactly. There were Windows 8 tablets being shown off.

Windows 7 is apparently pretty crap with touchscreens and tablets. Which is why Android tablets and iPads are becoming so popular.

A touchscreen tablet, with a keyboard if you do a lot of typing, is so much nicer to carry around and work on than a laptop.

If Windows 8 can run on tablets without making them ugly bulky machines with pathetic battery life like Windows 7 does right now, it will be awesome. No more bulky laptops :)

I do so hate that Windows-Phone inspired style though. Thought it was terrible on the new Windows phones too, ugly tiles that make the interface look like it was designed by a child.

Yes, the Windows phones have an incredibly and unfunctional Menu design.

All I want is the desktop background with icons and the ability to add wallpaper. I don't want to learn a new system when the old one worked quite well. I don't want to be forced to buy a new OS so that Microsoft can make money on something that will most likely come out broken, much like all their other products are notorious for.

I don't want to be forced to buy a new OS so that Microsoft can make money on something that will most likely come out broken, much like all their other products are notorious for.

Lol what world are you living in? The only product from Microsoft that I would possibly consider broken was Vista...

Lol what world are you living in? The only product from Microsoft that I would possibly consider broken was Vista...

And ME, and possibly 95 as well. ;)

Though to be honest, even those all work straight out of the box. Its just that it becomes a horrible mess as soon as you touch anything. :p

And ME, and possibly 95 as well. ;)

Though to be honest, even those all work straight out of the box. Its just that it becomes a horrible mess as soon as you touch anything. :p

I have ME on this tower next to me, This is true. :D

My bad, i'm still struggling with Word 2007 which is ridiculously complex on certain aspects (constant repaginating, etc.).

Hmmm I hope so, but from the video that Mr. Charles posted you can see that the tablet UI is also displayed on the big TV, so it seems like this is the default view that you will get when you launch Windows, something like similar to the Media Centre where you can do your basic stuff like surf the internet, browse photos etc...

But you can also access your desktop from this new UI to run your "existing Windows apps" as he does at 3:03 and use them "Alongside your new Windows 8 apps", this kind of worries me because it seems to me like they are pushing forth this new UI while still giving us the option of using older apps, something like legacy apps. I don't know it just seems to me like they are trying to make the old desktop in to legacy software with the hope that in the future everything will be done in the new UI. I hope that this only applies to tablets and the desktop will always remain on the PC.

I never owned a tablet because frankly I don't like them and don’t really have anything to do on them, but I'm not so sure about running the Windows 8 desktop on a tablet, it seems kind of awkward to me, if you wanted to get some decent work done on it like finish off or edit a document on your way to work you would need a keyboard because fitting a easily usable keyboard on to a 9 inch display while being able to see what your writing in the document isn’t exactly the easiest, if its half screen you will have 4.5 inches to see the document. But again I don’t care about tablets all I want is the default desktop UI on the PC.

If Windows 8 has this UI as an optional feature like Media Centre is, and doesn't compromise any features because it, then I'm ok with it, but I don't want to be force fed some new table UI, if I wanted a tablet I would get one... I also hope that Microsoft wont integrate their ribbon in to windows explorer :( it’s bad enough having it in MS Office.

All I want is the desktop background with icons and the ability to add wallpaper. I don't want to learn a new system when the old one worked quite well. I don't want to be forced to buy a new OS so that Microsoft can make money on something that will most likely come out broken, much like all their other products are notorious for.

Agreed good.gif Windows is like the 8th wonder of the world, although it’s not as bad now, (I haven’t had a problem since Vista) the old school versions were notorious for blue screens, especially Windows ME.

Edited by -Martin-

Full Windows 8 D9 demo - includes demonstration by Julie Larson-Green, the Windows 8 UI head.

Windows 8 Hardware Platforms demo @ Computex - includes ARM devices, notable for their lack of MS OS backwards compatibility.

Both are fairly comprehensive for demos shown this early in the OS's development.

The new UI is the default - conventional PC users will have to bother with the new interface; however, it's apparent to me from the above demos that that will be a good thing. I've only heard good things about the Windows Phone 7 UI, and I've found the Media Center UI to be pretty neat - the new UI apparently incorporates lessons learned from several of Microsoft's UIs (looks like the Xbox360 UI is moving in this direction, as well).

Access to the Win7 desktop happens via legacy apps.

I'm looking forward to Windows 8. I particularly like that it's supposed to be released with lower system requirements than Vista (I've read or heard somewhere that it might even have a lower memory footprint than Win7; as an aside, I think I'm in the minority of users who really like Vista - I built this computer with it and it's been rock-solid since 2007).

It'll be nice to have the full OS available in tablet form, coupled w/ a UI that works well in that form factor.

Martin, that response was too quick for you to have seen the demos. :)

Edited by Anguis