Sign in to follow this  
pj[cz]

GTX 570 users experience

Hi,

I recently upgraded my computer a bit and I was kind of disappointed that Arma started stuttering. The upgrade involved GTX275->GTX570 graphics, a new OCZ Vertex SSD 120Gb drive and going from 4 to 8 Gb of DDR2. Also i uninstalled and reinstalled the whole Arma2 + OA + BAF+ PMC thing on the SSD as it was reported that SSDs help. However when i fire up OA + BAF+ PMC the game stutters like hell no matter what settings, i can set everything on max and lose approx 5 FPS. And this is not about the FPS, the game seems running okay, but every second or so it kinda freezes for half a second. I have tried three versions of the drivers also. The ones included with the GFX were 263.99 i believe and Arma was running bad, than i tried 270.61, 275.27Beta and 275.33. The 270.61 were the best of them but the stutter is still unbearable. My whole rig is in the signature. Im especially interested in gtx 570 users, what drivers are you using and what settings? Please enlighten me.

PS.: it seems that the game actually runs whorse on the gtx 570 than on my old gtx 260 :( all the other games took like 40%+ increase but Arma took it for the worse :( And for the other games I really dont give a ****

Setting video memory to Default or Very High is your best bet.

But it sounds like a hard disc issue to me.

Did you delete your user config in yo DOCS and start arma again for it to create a new one based on yo new hard ware?.

I know ya did an fresh install BUT I think it keeps that user data untouched.

i recently bought the gtx570 evga and i got great performance on highest settings with atoc. maybe its your cpu? runnin with a 2500k on 3.00Ghz.

only thing is texturepopping which i can fix with videomemory on default.

Well I own the same card and Im very happy with the it.

I can experience some stutter my self especially when I play islands like Lingor or Chernarus in the cities.

I hope to solve the problem with the purchase of a SSD soon.

Oh, now i see my sig is outdated, i actually have Phenom2 x4 945BE @ 3.7GHz.

Yes i tried generating a new config by deleting it and reruning the game. And yes it really sounds like a HDD issue but i have it installed on my new SSD and while benchmarking it shows results at least 5 times better than the old sata 7200rpm drive it was installed before (HDD bench not arma one). Ill try shuffling with the memory settings but can some1 with a gtx 570 card who doesnt have these issiues post what driver are you using?

Gtx570 here, SSD as well and i7950 OC'd @ 4.0GHz. No probs here, especially in regards to what you describe. Using latest drivers as mentioned above.

I bet it's not your graphics card... It'll be the CPU! See if you can bump the speed a bit, your CPU should be good for best part of 4GHz if you have a good cooler. 3.7 might be a bit more realistic. My guess is that your GPU is going to be running at around 40% while one of your CPU core's will be at 80-90% load. And there is your bottle neck! CPU every time once your G/Card is over a certain level.

It isn't CPU, I have a slower one.

Not enough CPU power doesn't make the game stutter, only lowers FPS.

Stuttering is in 95% cases due to hard disc / RAM

I agree with metalcraze. I used to use a q9400 @ 2.66 stock. When i brought it up to 3/3.2GHz it was only to handle more AI. At the time i was using 2 9600GT's then upgraded to a 5870.

Arma can be a viscious beast to tame. When i got my new PC ONLY Arma2 and Prime95 showed that my OC'd CPU couldnt hold stable, not PC Check or Intel BurnTest (got a replacement i7).

When my GTX480 died twice it was Arma2 and OCCT that showed it, not Furmark or HeavenBench (got my final replacement 570 because i cannot moderate a volcano).

Trust me, i feel your pain. I hope you get to the bottom of it soon. :)

Did you update windows with all the recommended updates? If you restart every day it'll take you about a week or 2.

I had a strange stuttering prob with my 260's with drivers newer than 266.58, I've now installed all recommended windows updates and dont really get that anymore.

I dont have any stutter what so ever and have everything pretty much on Very High, a few on high and only AA on normal. I would tell you exactly which is which, but on the laptop ATM.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not sailing in triple digits for FPS, but it all looks smooth to the naked eye. Of course if I track my performance with Fraps, the FPS is lower than I would like. If I try to use fraps, forget it.

I would read through the nvidia truobleshooting thread (I go from last to first to get the most recent info). What I can say is this;

Latest beta drivers (273.50?)

Video memory seting at default

Atoc set to 0 in cfg

dont crank up the distance too much (mine is at 4500)

Just swap your components back and forth until it stops, then you'll know whats causing it. I know its a hassle but its the best way to find out the source of the problem.

By the sounds of it, its either a RAM or a HHD/SSD problem.

I recently went from 275 to 570 as well, works great here.

Might sound counter-intuitive, but install it on your HD and compare the results. Perhaps the SSD is faulty?