Sign in to follow this  
jsncrso

Onlive

I love Arma more than anything (I go back to the OPF days), and bought this computer to mainly play Arma2. But I'm not willing to purchase another computer just to play one game, it's not worth several hundred dollars to me.

Then don't buy another PC... play with that one on reduced settings. You're going to have to learn that you can't get 60fps with max settings...

Onlive works relatively well with 720p streaming and borderline acceptable input lag. Yet it would never work for ArmA type games which include a heavy amount of modding.

If you start saving right now, you might get enough to buy a decent machine next summer.

:yeahthat:

Onlive works relatively well with 720p streaming and borderline acceptable input lag. Yet it would never work for ArmA type games which include a heavy amount of modding.

/Thread

Good luck finding an unmodded server with a vanilla map.

OnLive is more of a money milking hoax

It can barely run console games (which are made for 6 years old hardware) at 360p/480p, having to lower graphics quality to a minimum and encode the image too heavily to cause minimum controller lag which is still present. Crysis is on OnLive yes but how does it look?

They would need to spend a lot of money on tons of rigs just to allow a hundred of people to play ArmA2 on minimum and the lag will be huge if you will want a bearable image resolution.

And what about mods and MP?

You're forgetting something. Many people have laptops instead of desktop PC's and the hardware isn't enough to support ArmA 3. Heck, I just got a nice new desktop PC and still need to upgrade the gfx card because it doesn't support gpu physx. OnLive is great for these laptops because it's not like you have a big screen on them.

---------- Post added at 13:43 ---------- Previous post was at 13:43 ----------

/Thread

Good luck finding an unmodded server with a vanilla map.

armA2 Free has no mods

Oh come on, don't bring this thread up again...

Look, it's probably not going to happen. Plus as we've all said, Onlive hardware is crap and won't be able to run A3 at "max" graphics like you think it will be able to.

;1991330']still need to upgrade the gfx card because it doesn't support gpu physx

Unless you're upgrading for some other game, there is no point, because A3 doesnt support gpu physX either...

Dude, do yourself a favor right now, and get rid of that onlive shit.

Firstly I highly doubt Bohemia would release A3 on that system, it would cost way to much effort for them right now and there's no way that its going to support mods etc.

Secondly, onlive is not gonna be able to keep its head above water between services like steam, xbox marketplace and psn. Who are gonna offer similair services soon.

And finally, by investing some money in a nice gaming PC you are gonna have a secure gaming platform for the coming 3 to 4 years. Even then you won't have to buy a new one after that because you can keep upgrading. Its not true that modern high en games need a $ 3000 dollar system. If you take some time and look around carefully, you'll see that you can easily create your own high end system for around $ 1000. It won't last you years, but like I said you can keep upgrading for as long as you like.

sure you can keep upgrading but many people are moving away from desktops to laptops, TV gaming and tablets. They won't spend $1000 to buy a computer that can't go anywhere just to play a game.

;1991373']sure you can keep upgrading but many people are moving away from desktops to laptops' date=' TV gaming and tablets. They won't spend $1000 to buy a computer that can't go anywhere just to play a game.[/quote']

Sure you can keep using a system that charges you to not actually own any games and then you can play those games on mediocre settings with noticeable input lag.

I think you are gaming on the wrong platform if these are your concerns btw.

;1991373']sure you can keep upgrading but many people are moving away from desktops to laptops' date=' TV gaming and tablets. They won't spend $1000 to buy a computer that can't go anywhere just to play a game.[/quote']

that is very true, but onlive is not the answer, no matter how hard they advertise it.

You want to play the latest PC exclusive game, you will need a gaming PC. Simple as that.

Anyhow, why is onlive BIS business anyhow? Isn't onlive the ones to provide this sort of live service for you? In the end it wouldn't even be BIS fault for slow input/output which is due to happen.

Moreover, people think that a PC can be compared with a damn gamebox. It is hardly the case, since gaming is not the only thing you can do with it. Some of us use them for more than exel and doc files, or checking mail and some forums

Edited by PuFu

Sure you can keep using a system that charges you to not actually own any games and then you can play those games on mediocre settings with noticeable input lag.

I think you are gaming on the wrong platform if these are your concerns btw.

You'd have to spend a lot more money, though and Bohemia wouldn't get any of it.

ArmA isn't one of those 60+ fps fast twitch games (such as Dirt 2, which is on onlive) and that's why it may be a good candidate.

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

t

Moreover, people think that a PC can be compared with a damn gamebox. It is hardly the case, since gaming is not the only thing you can do with it. Some of us use them for more than exel and doc files, or checking mail and some forums

You can do all that with a laptop or even an ipad. The only reason why you'd get a desktop in addition to a laptop is to play ArmA2 and a few other games because most games are for console.

;1991413']You can do all that with a laptop or even an ipad. The only reason why you'd get a desktop in addition to a laptop is to play ArmA2 and a few other games because most games are for console.

Really? No laptop can deal with 20+ mil poly scenes' date=' poster size renders @ a minimum of 300dpi? Can you do that on your average laptop? Well, i can't, not even on my i5 one. I wanna see you use 3ds max on your ipad.

Some of us use them for more than exel and doc files, or checking mail and some forums

Oh, and BTW, i couldn't give a damn about one of those aging "game" boxes you can hook on your TV and are dragging the gaming industry down the slope...i don't own one, and never will

Edited by PuFu

Really? No laptop can deal with 20+ mil poly scenes, poster size renders @ a minimum of 300dpi? Can you do that on your average laptop? Well, i can't, not even on my i5 one. I wanna see you use 3ds max on your ipad.

you could try autodesk inventor because it uses onlive :)

Oh, and BTW, i couldn't give a damn about one of those aging "game" boxes you can hook on your TV and are dragging the gaming industry down the slope...i don't own one, and never will

OK but Bohemia isn't going to pay the bills because of the one person on the planet who doesn't have a game console. But I'm not talking about arma on consoles. Onlive can run on TV's and tablets but I'm really arguing for play on laptops since they are more versatile than PC's.

Edited by Haviv[3rdID]

Just for the record, I have a friend who spent 2,500 for a computer....

And for my next computer (Currently saving for) has a price tag of 4,000.

I Might have to file for bankruptcy after my baby comes :D:D

$4000 is really a lot, I'm gonna spend a little bit above $1000 and that is already perfect for almost anything. The best stuff have bad price/worth proportion.

This OnLive service doesnt appeal to me personally atm although i see where it can do good. For someone in school, unemployed or just not into gaming a whole lot. As building PC's is a side hobby of mine though i just want to see all the tech and beauty the games were made with. Plus i love everything that is moddable. I have a hard time with "as is" systems. :)

A good PC usually lets you play 3-5 years in which you have time to save more money for single upgrades within those years. A good motherboard (top of the line-ish) and then the rest of the gear just under the top - that will keep you going for years with occational upgrades on the way. It is more expensive than other subpar platforms the first time, but you will have it for years, and the games will look and sound much better than any other platform. And you dont need the latest and most expensive of all hardware parts - that is not smart if money doesnt grow on trees where you live as you will get fluid high FPS gameplay anyway with the right parts. This is usually a beginners building mistake where they think only the latest will do the job. It doesnt have to be that crazy expensive to play at max with awesome FPS. You just gotta know hardware a bit. Put some more research into it and save a lot of money.

Oh come on, don't bring this thread up again...

Look, it's probably not going to happen. Plus as we've all said, Onlive hardware is crap and won't be able to run A3 at "max" graphics like you think it will be able to.

It won't be able to run A3 at min graphics either.

First OnLive should show that it runs some 7 years old-tech game better than a $200 used PC - and even then it's a very long run to more demanding PC exclusives.

I have a pretty good PC and monitor so I don't have any problems (especially if the physx doesn't need gpu support. I can be all elitist and put down all the xbox gamers just like anyone here.

But my brother and brother-in-law have Dell laptops and there's no way they can play ArmA2 Free, let alone ArmA3. And I would like to get them into the game.

I spent under $1,000 for my PC:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T	19 °C
Thuban 45nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 (AM3)	27 °C
Graphics
HF229 (1680x1050@60Hz)
AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series 
Hard Drives
625GB Western Digital WDC WD6401AALS-00L3B2 ATA Device (SATA)	23 °C
625GB Western Digital WDC WD6401AALS-00L3B2 ATA Device (SATA)	22 °C
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS224   A ATA Device
ATAPI iHDP118   4 ATA Device
Audio
Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio

Some of the parts I bought used (Sound Card and GFX Card were used, but only used for a month) and some were open box deals. Sometimes the open box deals are brand new items, it's just that the original box got smashed so they put them in another box and sell it as "Open Box".

With OnLive, you can't mod ArmA in any way. And you can only play if you have an internet connection.

http://onlivefans.com/news/onlives-future-free-games-social-games-mods-4k-video-resolution/1341/

“Wait until you start seeing games posted on OnLive that have really cool mods,†Perlman continued. “You know, it’s the same game but with a mod, that someone figured out…. Why shouldn’t everyone have access to that stuff?â€

that's from july 11

Edited by Haviv[3rdID]

But when will I start seeing games that are made for hardware newer than 7 years old and, even then, are not running at minimum graphical settings?

That's the question.

XBox360 is a 7 years old hardware, it costs what, 200 bucks now? And yet OnLive runs its games at minimum settings.

I understand if you live in Africa and can't afford something for 200 bucks, but then again there's no OnLive in Africa either and you still have to spend a lot on games regardless so really - you can afford a PC that runs every single game better than OnLive.

Edited by metalcraze

;1991446']you could try autodesk inventor because it uses onlive :)

not really the same now' date=' is it not? Besides, you buying me the license?

OK but Bohemia isn't going to pay the bills because of the one person on the planet who doesn't have a game console.

Are you for real? Do you actually think everyone playing games owns a console? And how would that affect BIS in the end? They are not developing for consoles either way...What gives?

But I'm not talking about arma on consoles. Onlive can run on TV's and tablets but I'm really arguing for play on laptops since they are more versatile than PC's.

Oh, but you can play on your laptop, if you get a gaming one. But then don't argue about its price tag.

A3 won't play on your average desktop PC either. It's not the developer's fault one buys average or low consumer products.

Want a laptop that can play games, go over eurocom.com, or maingear.com

It depends where you live. In EU, prices are higher anyways. My i7 970 (6core) went all the way to 3000EU (including monitor and peripherals). The i7 sandy, 6 month down the road was hell of a lot cheaper - 1100 EU without monitor. (rigs in the signature spoiler)

This OnLive service doesn't appeal to me personally atm although i see where it can do good. For someone in school, unemployed or just not into gaming a whole lot.

It makes me wonder... If OnLive systems where employed, how much more players would we have coming to ARMA?

But then I just remembered something. More people means more potentially childish players/cheaters. :(

I spent under $1,000 for my PC:

Same here, the current one I'm using right now had a base price of 500$. But with the total amount of upgrades I did to it. I say the price tag is somewhere near $900.

The only thing that's hasn't been touched on this PC is the processor. The PC was bought back in 06.

I'm just getting ready for a next PC that will last me. With backup hardware

It depends where you live. In EU, prices are higher anyways. My i7 970 (6core) went all the way to 3000EU (including monitor and peripherals). The i7 sandy, 6 month down the road was hell of a lot cheaper - 1100 EU without monitor. (rigs in the signature spoiler)

That's what my future baby is going to have. An Intel Core i7 Processor Extreme Edition.

--Please forgive me for getting off Topic there--

With OnLive, you can't mod ArmA in any way. And you can only play if you have an internet connection.

Gives me another reason why I would vote no for OnLive systems. BTW some people I play games with say they have no problems needing an internet connection to play a game. So if there are people like that, then OnLive should be no problem to them......

Edited by Haystack15