Sign in to follow this  
IceFire

What was the

What was the first First Person Shooter computer game?

Woldenstein 3D?

That's the earliest I can remember playing, but there are probably older.

yeah oldest i can remember is wolfenstein 3d, i think it came before doom.

No no no, wolfenstein 3d wasn't the first one. There was one before wolfenstein 3d.

No...the original Wolfenstein was a 2D game. Sideways characters with overhead views of rooms.

I am pretty sure that Wolf3D was the first 'real' FPS... though there were similar games before.

Duke nukem?

I think that might have been the first, but i really dont know. Just making a guess.

duke nukem and duke nukem 2 were both 2d and duke nukem 3d was not the first because i remember having it on cd and doom was only 4 1.44 disks

um... I imagine that there might have been wone before wolfenstein 3d... but it must have sucked... because noone can remember it

There was some sci-fi fps on Amiga. I just can't remember it's name.

It was quite slow paced compared to modern games because the 3d engine was not very fast. smile.gif

I played some sci-fi fps on Comodore 64. I can't remember name too. Maybe it was same game as on Amiga.

Now I remember the sci-fi fps on Commodore 64. It was not the same that I played with Amiga. It was some other where you controlled an android or something like that. That game was slower than *insert worlds second slowest thing here*.

If we are talking about the same Wolfenstein 3D, it

wasn't a 3D game although it looked a bit like one..

Quake was the first 3D game, if I remember right.

No, Wolfenstein 3D was in 3d, hence the title... I remember I was fiddling with a map editor for it (on the Mac back then) and simply placing blocks and objects created 3D environments. Soldiers and furniture where all sprites, but so they where in Doom and Quake and Duke Nukem 3D. I think Unreal or Quake II was the first to have real 3D character models.

Are you sure Quake 1 had sprites?? Could have sworn the enemies were models

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think Unreal or Quake II was the first to have real 3D character models.<span id='postcolor'>

It may be so..

But in Wolfenstein, you cannot aim up or down, you cannot

jump or crouch, there cannot be two objects at the same x,y

location, therefore it's not a 3D game...

"There was some sci-fi fps on Amiga. I just can't remember it's name."

Xenomorph?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ May 21 2002,10:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Are you sure Quake 1 had sprites?? Could have sworn the enemies were models<span id='postcolor'>

You are perfectly right, my mistake.

Quake 1 did it. Feast your eyes on this beauty:

q1shot010.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Longinius @ May 21 2002,11:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"There was some sci-fi fps on Amiga. I just can't remember it's name."

Xenomorph?<span id='postcolor'>

Nope. The game was in real 3d with polygons. In the game you had to shoot some kind of spheres, cubes and such. And it wasn't fake 3d like in Wolfenstein3d. You could even jump in the game.

I remember falling to my death numerous times when I couldn't time my jump right. smile.gif

Ugh! Good god graphics have come a long way. You kinda forget after not playing those old games for so long. I remember being impressed with those graphics back then.

The first 3d shooter was a game called "CATACOMBS 3D". It was created by John Romero before he started on Wolfenstein 3D. It uses the almost the same engine. It was a heretic type of game with zombies and other ugly creatures.