Sign in to follow this  
gossamersolid

Addon/Mission Synchronization via FTP/HTTP server

You told us you couldn't do it in arma 2 for whatever reasons. Now that you are making ArmA 3, you have the ability to put this in prior to the game coming out.

It was a pretty hot topic in ArmA 2 that we should have addon synchronization via a server. If a player connects and they are missing x mod(s), then it should have a dialog that says what they're missing and if they wish to download it.

Now I think I remember Suma saying that the engine can't load mods on the fly, well we don't need it to be instant. Why can't the game download the mods and then restart the client with the mods loaded? You guys already do it from the "expansions" option in the main menu.

I think this will really help the modding community take off even more than it already has if we get addon synchronization in ArmA 3

BIS could just make a standalone mulitplayer server browser. So anyone launches this instead of the game (unless they're going to play Singleplayer or Mission Editor).

Then they just find their game, and it will list the mods they can download, etc and it will launch straight into the game and auto-join the server. (Would be quicker then launching the game twice, and by making it standalone it should be easier to develop).

Basically they just need to make their own version of what the community has already attempted several times. Make it a nice polished product, with same look and feel as the game, and bundled with the retail product... win!

+1 for integrated support.

Dynamic (un)loading of addon content at runtime is also important. Hopefully they will manage to implement that too. :)

Indeed, and for bis it's a win win situation as well as it can also be a way to promote and sell they DLC "through the game browser". Both the community and BIS could benefit from this.

I'm all for it.

Trying to understand the whole addon installation and various server requirements is a huge complaint from new users and frequently turns them away. PITA would be a charitable description.

I also support this, would be much easyer and less annoying for people that leave the addons allone because they are finding it to messy to bother with them. I think i would make online playing more user friendly that this can be supported by bis on the new game.

I'm glad other people are here to voice their opinions. Remember that BIS does take our opinions and suggestions into consideration. If enough people voice how important this is, maybe we'll finally see it.

Frankly after 3 (technically 4 games I guess) in the series, it's time for this feature to be implemented.

Addons are key to this game today, yet their management is stuck back in the eighties.