Sign in to follow this  
That guy

ArmA3 scenario first look

You see wasted terrain, I see ample opportunity for armor engagements.

The bigger the map the better. Maybe then things like MLRS would make sense, as well as other fire support assets.

if we all had the computers of NASA, maybe. it only takes a nice, big clearing for a tank battle

not 600km2

thats wasted space. chernarus is like a fat chick, theres just too damn much. and a map system is like a bunch of girls with their ribs showing. everon, malden, and noguva are like 36-24-36s :yay::yay::yay::yay:

just dont put china at the terrorist side, otherwise i wont be able to buy or even play this game because i'm in china

and i thought china is put itself apart from everywhere else of the world

what a shame

if we all had the computers of NASA, maybe. it only takes a nice, big clearing for a tank battle

not 600km2

thats wasted space. chernarus is like a fat chick, theres just too damn much. and a map system is like a bunch of girls with their ribs showing. everon, malden, and noguva are like 36-24-36s :yay::yay::yay::yay:

That is beyond uninformed... :j:

well really i dont need such a huge map, just 1 big enough for the game and to keep me interested

Eh... I always thought that Chernarus is too small.

Even though I still find places I've never been to before there - I still don't feel like I really fight in a region of some country - more like in some town's outskirt.

With Lemnos being very empty and more like Takistan (which is very unfortunate as there are zero forests) it needs to be bigger otherwise you will learn it very quickly and will run out of interesting places to do missions at - that won't look the same.

Here's a screencapture from Google Earth.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2vuesft.jpg

As you can see it has no forests and is quite brown to go with that crappy filter used on screenshots.

Those few green spots look like fields when looking close at them in case you wonder.

Official screenshots also show Takistani like areas. Guess we should thank all those people who whined that "fightan on Chernarus is teh hard"

Edited by metalcraze

I'm sure if we bitch enough in the other direction there will be an expansion later with a much greener map.

I am hoping that there will be an expansion of some kind detailing the main front-line conflict. why have this huge war and focus only on this tiny speck of an island?

I want to see what BIS has in store story wise. i have my reservations about the l337 SF nature of the story, but BIS is good at making a fairly believable and well thought out scenario.

but on the other hand, what could possibly be of such strategic importance that NATO diverts a large amount of its assets to a tiny speck of an island? is this just going to be some lame COD plot with dooms day weapons and evil little mini men? i just cant help but feel a little worried...

but if the story falls flat, at least we get some nifty (and hopefully useful) engine improvements!

regarding the economics, basically as soon as this war starts, everyone economy is going to crash, and crash hard. however, the US could replicate its WWII economic boom in manufacturing and such, and other countries might also be able to do so. i dont see any economic growth, just retooling.

in a realistic scenario i could definitly see the standard of equipment going down. all those fancy toys get really, really expensive. in WW2 i would go out on a limb and say that a soldiers weapon was most expensive piece of gear to make.

today not so much. of his gear the weapon is probably one of the cheapest (my source would be my hand receipts, if those figure were accurate). for example, an M4, around 500, a PEQ-2 ~1200, PEQ-15 ~1800, PVS-14 NVG ~3000, full body armor system ~500-1000, radios 50-1000, and so on (and not to mention how much more expensive the new munitions, vehicles, choppers computer systems etc are today)

all players involved would be hard pressed to keep our current day standard of equipping.

though it would be an interesting project to determine the GDP impact of, say manufacturing one MBT in 1944 USA, 2010 USA, and 2025 USA vs its actual industrial strain (cant think of a better word now) :p

i could just be talking out of my ass here, as a country in a full wartime manufacturing economy coupld pump out abrams like they are shermans, and ZOMG LEET guns like M3 grease guns

who knows, there are just way too many variables that we dont know about the game

Edited by That guy

With the size of map being created here it would surely be possible to make a very convincing landlocked country, somewhere in Europe. Although any conventional battlefield will have the battleines moving very rapidly, this could be portrayed as the "Stalingrad" moment of the war. The point where the attacking OPFOR loses momentum, followed by a bitter struggle befor BLUFOR begins regaining ground.

Who knows, maybe Lemnos is a proof of concept for BIS, and an expantion will tell the rest of the story.

However, in game we are being relegated to a small island far from the apparent front lines, on a ZMOG SPESHUL FORRSEZ MISSON. This HUGELY disappoints me.

the phase 3 war is just a much more appealing scenario than some SF mission gone wrong. but, i will buy it, and i'm sure i will love it all the same. :cool:

I agree with you 100%. There is no question, I am going to buy ARMA III, but my expectations for the campain is rather low, I hate the hero approach. The grunt in a large scale war made OFP the gem it is, same with resistance. BI campains have been dissappointing since ARMA 1, so my hopes are not really high, but who cares, we will have CWR2 and maybe CWR3 anyways :P

I buy the new game for the new engine, so that I can enjoy coop with even more immersion. But I really, really miss a good campain, I feel the story telling potential in ARMA II and future ARMA III isn't exploited as it could have been. So far, they've been mostly show off of new tech.

Anyways, it'll be better than all of the other shooters. Can't say that I've played a decent FPS or tactical shooter campain for a long time really.

With the size of map being created here it would surely be possible to make a very convincing landlocked country, somewhere in Europe. Although any conventional battlefield will have the battleines moving very rapidly, this could be portrayed as the "Stalingrad" moment of the war. The point where the attacking OPFOR loses momentum, followed by a bitter struggle befor BLUFOR begins regaining ground.

Who knows, maybe Lemnos is a proof of concept for BIS, and an expantion will tell the rest of the story.

What you say was done in OFP

And they didn't need any Special Forces focus for that.

There was a real war and you saw it from many perspectives so it only added to the believability and a scale of it. Special Forces will never offer Combined Ops scale.

Or creativity.

There was a mission when after a CAS your plane was shot down and you were captured by russians. Then you had to escape in any way possible (there are multiple). You had no idea where you are or where you should go (no NVG equipment, no map, no compass). You knew friendlies are somewhere to the south and had only a starry sky to help you out. And enemies were trying to hunt you down. Only one savegame was possible on any difficulty. Adrenaline levels were at maximum.

I bet many people don't even realize that the starry sky in BIS games is completely real.

I think BIS just looks at all that crap like CoD and MoH and thinks "wow that sells well people must like some speshul forcez story". Well CoD players do.

I'm sure ArmA community wants gameplay instead.

Edited by metalcraze

Oh I absolutely agree with you, this focus on 4-man-wins-all-special-forces-missions really needs to go. As I said earlier the special forces missions in OFP were much better, stealth was you only friend and you lived in fear of the dawn.

And the mission you mentioned where the pilot (Sam Nichols I beleive) has to escape captivity and go on the run in Kolgujev is brilliant. It's a shame it was never recreated in any of the other games because the newer maps would have made it better and better.

I am hoping that there will be an expansion of some kind detailing the main front-line conflict. why have this huge war and focus only on this tiny speck of an island?

Who knows, maybe they'll expand it into a large-scale conflict as the story progresses? The map is several times the size of Chernarus anyway, isn't it? But that's just speculation on my part, I too hope for some large scale battles.

I want to see what BIS has in store story wise. i have my reservations about the l337 SF nature of the story, but BIS is good at making a fairly believable and well thought out scenario.

True, I can't honestly see this lone protagonist stuck on his own for very long anyway.

but on the other hand, what could possibly be of such strategic importance that NATO diverts a large amount of its assets to a tiny speck of an island? is this just going to be some lame COD plot with dooms day weapons and evil little mini men? i just cant help but feel a little worried...

Information? Some sort of communications facility? Maybe even something like a new advanced Anti-air weapon that could give NATO aerial dominance over the region. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

but if the story falls flat, at least we get some nifty (and hopefully useful) engine improvements!

So either way we get something good out of it! :D

regarding the economics, basically as soon as this war starts, everyone economy is going to crash, and crash hard. however, the US could replicate its WWII economic boom in manufacturing and such, and other countries might also be able to do so. i dont see any economic growth, just retooling.

Or the increased demand and stimulus in the economy could provide some incredible short-term growth (And long-term damage, as the war drags on), but I'm not an expert on economics, so I don't really know.

in a realistic scenario i could definitly see the standard of equipment going down. all those fancy toys get really, really expensive. in WW2 i would go out on a limb and say that a soldiers weapon was most expensive piece of gear to make.

I could see it going down from day 1, tbh. The front line units get their top-of-the-range kit, but the reservists being mobilised are already behind with their last-generation gear (So we might see a lot of FAL's in NATO, which I have no complaints about :P)

today not so much. of his gear the weapon is probably one of the cheapest (my source would be my hand receipts, if those figure were accurate). for example, an M4, around 500, a PEQ-2 ~1200, PEQ-15 ~1800, PVS-14 NVG ~3000, full body armor system ~500-1000, radios 50-1000, and so on (and not to mention how much more expensive the new munitions, vehicles, choppers computer systems etc are today)

Yeah, aircraft and armoured vehicles have just gone up and up in price, well beyond the growth of small arms and other infantry gear. Still, there are a lot of rifles to buy and a lot of body armour systems to get to the troops (With hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions of basic infantrymen on the field), so the costs would add up quickly. Whilst saving a few hundred dollars on a soldier's gear may not sound like a lot, multiply it by x amount of soldiers and it'll start to sound a bit better.

all players involved would be hard pressed to keep our current day standard of equipping.

Totally agree with you on that one.

though it would be an interesting project to determine the GDP impact of, say manufacturing one MBT in 1944 USA, 2010 USA, and 2025 USA vs its actual industrial strain (cant think of a better word now) :p
It would be an interesting set of figures, though tanks these days aren't the comparative cannon-fodder that they were back then. Where you may have had a dozen tanks in WW2, you may only have a couple these days. They're built to last a lot longer than tanks used to be.
i could just be talking out of my ass here, as a country in a full wartime manufacturing economy coupld pump out abrams like they are shermans, and ZOMG LEET guns like M3 grease guns

Don't worry, most people talk out of their arse anyway. :P

But would a full wartime economy even be viable in today's world? Who knows? Certainly not me.

who knows, there are just way too many variables that we dont know about the game

True, but speculation is good fun. :)

just dont put china at the terrorist side, otherwise i wont be able to buy or even play this game because i'm in china

and i thought china is put itself apart from everywhere else of the world

what a shame

AFAIK, there are no terrorists in this one.

Edited by YayForLife

Russian Federation & Israel appear to be on the same side with NATO. Pretty obvious who opfor will be.

"You atak Pakiston, you atak China!" 20/05/11

Would be nice if the relations could be set on a per faction basis through the editor, rather than in the unit config.

Eg: In mission editor you have US, Russia, UK, China. Have a window w/ a graph and check boxes, you can then tick who is allied, and who is enemy. No more either or, the mission maker can has the freedom to use them as they wish, and no more need for mods to create such scenarios using otherwise stock units.

I´ve thought a bit about this.

A lone soldier, stranded on an island full of hostiles, very likely has to assemble a resistance and build his force prior to fulfilling his mission against all odds.

This reminds me of Abandoned Armies.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=44651

Which is probably the -best- mission EVER made for ANY game of the OFP series. It pulls the pants off anything else there is in terms of scope and depth. So, are BI trying to do something similar? Would that be a good thing?

Funny you mentioned it, ArmA3 description made me think of Abandoned Armies as well! We can only hope for something again so grand.