Sign in to follow this  
Richey79

PhysX

it would be cool if he actually stepped on the body instead of through it.

the added value of a physx implementation , complex enough, to not run well on cpu is useless. I prefer a good gravity , momentum base and wieght simulation , driving feeling, and some falling wall part than a bullshitorz 10000 particle's smoke cloud no one care, and wich would destroy my framerate and add nothing to the gameplay richness.

the added value of a physx implementation , complex enough, to not run well on cpu is useless. I prefer a good gravity , momentum base and wieght simulation , driving feeling, and some falling wall part than a bullshitorz 10000 particle's smoke cloud no one care, and wich would destroy my framerate and add nothing to the gameplay richness.

I am sure it's main implementation in A3 is for simulation and not some extra graphical fluff, then it would be welcomed.

@Bodies: Will be possible to drag'em (alive or dead, to end with the "Hide Body" BS) ala Hitman? Ever seen a game with PhysX doing that?

physx has nothing to do with what you describe , you maybe know that already .

You think that brushing by the body of a 200 lbs man can cause him to slide around on a floor made of wooden slats?

No...not really, in fact now that you mention it I think it looks a little ridiculous.

Yeah, I don't think we should be able to push dead bodies by just "running" at them. I would think that the guy would trip over too or just step onto the dead body.

Specially if the dead body is a soldier with all the gear on.

OK OK you guys are right, why the hell did I not think about this before???

47812_1273528313.jpg

I think you could do that in Dead Space. Of course, a space marine engineer probably has super power armour on him. :cool:

This PhysX in unity 3D.

Is it possible to have the same physical model of behavior car in ArmA 3?

This PhysX in unity 3D.

Is it possible to have the same physical model of behavior car in ArmA 3?

Yes, perfectly possible.

Edited by neokika

The Question remains if ArmA3 will use the new PhysX3.0 SDK or not...

I see no reason not to, since it is available since June 2011...

I see no reason not to, since it is available since June 2011...

Yes hopefully, so the initial argument that was spread here (PhysX is not Multicore comaptible and don't even use SSE, but 1980s x87 instruction sets) should be false.

reading up some physix SDK information at the beginning of this year, IRC 3.0 and upwards are multithreaded optimized. I don't recal if that was for the basic instructions and functions, or for cloth simulations and so on.

As has been said many times previously, ATI cards owners will be able to take advantage of PhysX, just not GPU based...

I wouldn't go that far, some games use what's called "GPU detection" and blacklist ANY sort of PhysX technology for RadeonHD owners, software and hardware. GRAW 2 did that, among many other titles that I can't remember off the top of my head.

I wouldn't go that far, some games use what's called "GPU detection" and blacklist ANY sort of PhysX technology for RadeonHD owners, software and hardware. GRAW 2 did that, among many other titles that I can't remember off the top of my head.

It's already been confirmed by a dev that PhysX in A3 will run on the CPU so that owners of ATI graphics cards can still play the game. There are a LOT of ATI owners in the Arma community, and BIS would be shooting themselves in the foot if they suddenly changed their mind and decided to exclude them from being able to play.

Edited by Dingo8

exclude them from being able to play.

No one mentioned anything like that. GRAW disabled physX gpu stuff for people with AMD display adaptors as their primary adaptor... this means the cloth simulation and other bling. It doesn't disallow you from playing the game.

It's already been confirmed by a dev that PhysX in A3 will run on the CPU so that owners of ATI graphics cards can still play the game. There are a LOT of ATI owners in the Arma community, and BIS would be shooting themselves in the foot if they suddenly changed their mind and decided to exclude them from being able to play.

Correct. It's been stated that PhysX will be forced to run on the CPU.

No one mentioned anything like that. GRAW disabled physX gpu stuff for people with AMD display adaptors as their primary adaptor... this means the cloth simulation and other bling. It doesn't disallow you from playing the game.

Well it wouldn't disallow you from playing GRAW, but doesn't A3 use PhysX for vehicle physics, which is one of the core components of the game, whereas in GRAW it's just used for eye candy (correct me if I'm wrong- I'm not very familiar with GRAW)? If they added something to "blacklist ANY sort of PhysX technology for RadeonHD owners, software and hardware", wouldn't it break the game? I suppose it could fall back to Arma 2 style vehicle physics, but wouldn't that fundamentally change the way the game is played and make it incompatible with multi-player games?

I'm not sure what the alarm is. What if BI made it so you need a physx accellerator to run ArmA, and then made it so ATI users couldn't use the game? What if the moon crashed into the earth? Sounds pretty bad.

I'm not sure what the alarm is. What if BI made it so you need a physx accellerator to run ArmA, and then made it so ATI users couldn't use the game? What if the moon crashed into the earth? Sounds pretty bad.

I think there may have been a misunderstanding.

NTULINUX suggested the possibility that PhysX in A3, like in some other games, could be completely disabled for ATI owners ("blacklist ANY sort of PhysX technology for RadeonHD owners, software and hardware"), and my point was that doing so would probably break the game (reason explained in previous post) for ATI owners , meaning that BIS is very unlikely to go ahead with something like that as it would lose them a huge number of customers. Plus Pettka already confirmed PhysX will work for ATI owners (on the CPU).

So in other words, nothing to worry about. :)

Edited by Dingo8

Soldier moving inside flying plane in VBS2. Physx maybe?

No VBS2 discussion here pls, for that go to http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?109702-VBS2-Discussion-thread-the-one-and-only&p=2159083#post2159083

I want to discuss about Arma 3 physx possibilities.

That has nothing to do with physx. I'm not entirely convinced the aircraft was even moving.

BTW if you want to discuss ArmA 3's physx possibilities, you should probably read the thread. Physx/moving in vehicles has been covered extensively.

Edited by Max Power

That has nothing to do with physx. I'm not entirely convinced the aircraft was even moving.

BTW if you want to discuss ArmA 3's physx possibilities, you should probably read the thread. Physx/moving in vehicles has been covered extensively.

I have to agree, I can make a mission like that myself already.

You just have the interior shake while inside then when you dive out the Hercules switches to the flight version and flies off convincingly into the distance.

You can look up how in the scripting section in the editing forum, plenty of examples.

That has nothing to do with physx.

Care to explain why are you so sure it has nothing to do with it?.

I been reading whole forums for long, long time, including this entire thread.

And, of course, this can be scripted, like moving trains did before :P