Sign in to follow this  
Sumrak

Arma 2: Namalsk Crisis

Need major help!

Spoilers ahead...

I'm at the mission where one has to go around and deactivate four major radar relays.

I did NOT disable/blow up the radar array that's at the starting point of the mission (on the map, it's not even labeled as being one of the four that are needed to be disabled).

So, I left the starting point and headed northwest, to the nearest installation. I walked around and around the power generators and all of the other pieces of equipment that are near the radar tower, and not once did I get an option in the Action Menu to simply "shut off" the equipment, so I used one of the explosive satchels I found on a dead soldier to destroy the radar tower. The objective marker for that location stayed red. Why? Isn't blowing up the tower a pretty sound way of disabling the system?

I drove around in a barely functional UAZ and blew up every radar tower I encountered. That said, it wasn't till I got to the southernmost radar site that I got the option to shut off a generator, but that was AFTER I blew up the radar tower! What the? So, I powered down the generator that was no longer hooked up to a functional radar tower, and the map objective turned from red to green. Uh oh, am I doing something wrong?

So, I then proceeded to the easternmost radar site, the one high up on a hill, and this tower is different from the rest that I've encountered: instead of a rotating dish, it has a blinking light at its tip, and it's made up of slender poles. After moving the brand new UAZ (thank you! as that old UAZ ran out of gas!), I placed a single satchel under the tower, and blew it up, but...in spite of all of the other pieces of equipment being tilted over and burning, the tower is STILL standing! Why in the world would I need more than 1 satchel to destroy something so much more frail than the rotating radar dishes?

So, what am I doing wrong? If the method I described above is not an appropriate solution for dealing with the problem, then something should've been said in the mission notes so that players won't be wasting their time using an approach that seems obvious at accomplishing the objective.

Man, I hate the idea of having to drive literally allover the map again. I hope that the solution does not require that.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying the campaign in a major way. One of the coolest moments that I've had is before the weird stuff started happening. I was being chased by OPFOR from every direction, and somehow in all of the chaos, two large groups of Russians coming at me from opposite sides of the building I ran into starting attacking one another! For over 20 minutes they were doing their best to kill one another, and I was happy to oblige them! If any of them straggled into the building, I eliminated them, but over 80% of the casualties were caused by them opening up on each other. Very cool.

@Kyle_K_ski

You dont destroy those 4 radars, find generator near all 4 radars and you will have option in action menu to switch off/disabled radar. You du that 4 times, dont use satchels, dont blow up those radars.

Edited by tom3kb

Thanks for your reply tom3kb, but...

you will have option in action menu to switch off/disabled radar
I wish that were so. I inspected every piece of equipment at each site and numerous times, and only at the southernmost location did I get an Action Menu option to switch off/disable the unit.

If this is the ONLY solution that will work, then there needs to be a dialogue change. Destroying the radar towers is a very natural assumption to make, especially in a game full of explosives and blowing stuff up. Some kind of hint needs to be made in the game if switching them off is the only way to get the job done.

To me, a more logical solution would be to also permit the towers to be destroyed, as that too would certainly achieve the expressed objective of "disabling" them.

Thanks again for your help!

@Kyle_K_ski

At the beginning i thought that blowing up the radar is most appropriate solution ;). But wenn i first time play i blow up 1 radar but i dont have any message that i finished one of 4 objectives. So i load the game and go to that radar, and i find a generator near that radar target him with my mouse and i see in action menu new option to diasabled that radar :)

To me, a more logical solution would be to also permit the towers to be destroyed, as that too would certainly achieve the expressed objective of "disabling" them.

i think that we later in the story need those radars to call rest of team so destroying them is not the best solution :)

Edited by tom3kb

i think that we later in the story need those radars to call rest of team so destroying them is not the best solution :)

Well, if that's the case, then I'd strongly advise creating some kind of believable reason why destroying the radar units would be a bad idea.

Having to blow them up, and then check one's map to see if the objective marker has switched from red to green takes the Player "out" of the gaming experience. It would be far better to insert a hint into the Notes that the radar towers themselves must be preserved, and that the generators need to be powered down. Using the word "disabled" is too open for interpretation, especially with explosives lying around. After all, blowing them up is the SUREST means of disabling them, especially since no OPFOR can come back wandering through to switch them back on again.

Now the reason why I kept going, is that I've played plenty of custom made missions/campaigns in the past where objective markers don't change color, but the objective was still achieved regardless of the color indicated.

So, a script update is badly needed here. One that explicitly states that:

(1) The Player is NOT to destroy the radar centers, but instead they need to be powered down

(2) Supply good reasoning for why powering them down is more important than blowing them up. Again, the Player does not know for certain that all of the OPFOR are dead (indeed, there are mercenaries now roaming about the land, so if they're alive, obviously others are too), and they could easily turn the generators back on while the Player is gone--how does one assure the Player that this won't happen? Is there another incident happening somewhere else that's drawn all of the surviving Russian forces away from their previous duties, or...?

Bummer. It looks like I have to start this mission from scratch, with all of that time and effort being wasted. :(

I forgot to mention that at the start of the "Radar" mission the Player's spawned on the edge of a fire pit.

For 10. Namalsk--if one clicks on Unit then Gear, the Player is not presented with an image of all that equipment that Alex is carrying. Instead, it automatically starts to load the mission, and the screen goes black except for the usual text of "Receiving..." however, the mission never finishes up loading. I had to Shift+Alt+Delete to the Control Panel in order to quite ArmA II. When I restarted the game, and the mission, the long explanatory text from Alex is NOT presented.

I have to say, that 10. Namalsk is a lot more tactically stimulating than the preceding mission.

When it came to escaping at the beginning of the mission, it occurred while I was still prone behind the tent. I took out 3 agents, but then the APC showed up and I hit the dirt. I was just lying there trying to figure out which way I should flee in when the "Completed Objective" message popped up. I'm assuming that this is tied to a timer of some sort?

In any case, I tore off for the nearest settlement with rounds crackling all around my head and body! Quite the chase, and I didn't even bother to stop and fight being out in the open like that.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to address the Tunguska with all of the agents hunting me down.

I'm not looking for an answer to this, and I'm just bringing it up because I like this kind of challenge.

Hi, ohh, so many posts here :D

I will begin with #10

This is weird bug (with gear view), I've just tried it and I can't reproduce it..

There is no timer, the mission is recommending to you to kill the attackers and leave that place asap. Because more units incoming also with that BTR from Brensk dam.

You've probably killed all four attackers (or BTR just started firing on you and some of their own got a shot), so, objective has completed, otherwise, you can also escape without shooting them, the objective will be completed, when you will be enough far from your last position (where you've been ambushed).

Usually it is best to hide in that tent and use moment of surprise to take down all 4 nac soldiers (ambushers). With this, btr and other reinforcements will not reach you in time. With btr there, its quite challenge then, but you can still take it down using some launchers hidden in the tent. But be aware of overall shooting in this mission, more you will sprint, shoot something, the whole mission could result in huge shooting range :D

And as Vorkuta, the best way should be just calling the support of Michael, he should help you with Tunguska. That's the main threat there, for others, you don't have to kill them all, you just need something from them. :)

and #7

Oops, I thought, there are no satchel charges :D I have to say, you are the first, who reported this kind of problem, yeah, objective should complete when you destroy the whole radar place. Anyway, those radars were turned on by NAC, they needed them for their research and they surely won't come back until they will fix that mess (mission 8), to which is Tamika facing in missions ..6,7...

I don't want any explosions, so, I will remove any satchel charges and will edit more description, so, hopefully it will be more straight what to do with radars. Generators can be just sabotaged, so, none can turn it on easily and immediately. Place, where you can shutdown is always reach-able by listening to sound of the generator. ;)

I hope, I covered everything,

Sumrak

I don't want any

explosions, so, I will remove any satchel charges and will edit more description, so, hopefully it will be more straight what to do with radars. Generators can be just sabotaged, so, none can turn it on easily and immediately. Place, where you can shutdown is always reach-able by listening to sound of the generator. ;)

Sounds like a good fix for me, but maybe a better one would be that explosives are there (it would be strange not to find any, and that effect would have to last till the very end of the campaign--ouch!), but because the explosive compound in the satchels aren't shielded by any type of layer of metal, the satchel's explosives look wet, and the compound is exceptionally and alarmingly soft. So, while the satchels will be present on the corpses in this mission, they're far too unstable and dangerous to safely use--I'd put a red "X" over the satchel's picture-icon so that the player can easily tell that they won't work like the NVDs and radios in the previous mission. Then, with the next mission, the satchels ARE safe to use because the effects of the field that made them unstable are now gone, and the explosive compound once again looks dry and feels firm.

I hope that this device-plot-twist is useful to you. Feel free to use it if you want to, as I'd be happy to contribute something, however small, to your GREAT campaign.

:D

Now, I'm having a different problem. It has to do with...

...the American SF mission. After I've rescued Mark from the tree (that's his name, if I remember it correctly), he does a pretty good job of following my orders, except for two major commands:

(1) He will not mimic the position my body is in. If I crouch, he's still standing. If I go prone, he's still standing.

(2) As we get near the base that's been overrun by zombies, we're attacked by a bloodsucker. I then give him permission to Open Fire, which he does. For the next 15 sec. or so, Mark calls out one enemy after another, but he doesn't fire. I then proceed into the base, and I assume that he's still with me (I never ordered him to leave the double column formation). I clear the base, trigger the next objective, and then notice that Mark is over 220 m. away, still on the hill that's just west of the base! I order him, repeatedly, to rejoin the formation, which he doesn't do. I walk right up to him, try moving him, and he still refuses to move. If I command him to move to a different location he won't. He just stays at that spot on the hill.

At this point I quit the mission.

Any advice that might help me to get him back into formation?

Thank you!

Edited by Kyle_K_ski

Reloaded the mission. My teammate is now mysteriously no longer "glued" to that spot, and is responding much better to my commands.

And me... can`t finish this mission. Don`t know why:( I cleaned area from tent to town. Only Tonguska left:( 0-0-1 not working. APSI "weird weapon" done. So... what now? :(

glad you got TOMIKA in the game. Always wanted to "play" with her.:bounce3:

@col_Kurtz

Cheat "endmission" ? :)

I`m thinking about this:(... but it does not give the satisfaction:bounce3:

Kyle_K_ski:

That's good to hear :)

Kommiekat:

Have fun :p

col_Kurtz:

Have you tried this http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1958380&postcount=125 ?

Can you please check rpt log file, and maybe send me it through pm?

I had some problems with Michael, but script is very intelligent and it should cover everything, there is also safety check for Tunguska, it just have to blow up no matter what :( You can try to destroy it manually.. I don't really know, why it is doing this.

Hi Sumrak,

yes and yes :)

Humm... Looks like I need APSI and this... ERV weapon too. From this moment the Weird weapon is reached. But I can`t send my mate to destroy Tunguska. So I used "Endmission" ;)

Just before the blast of the EPM suddenly moved me from third-person view to first person view. At the same time I lost sight NV, NV did not have it in my equipment. After wake up, NV were in my inventory but I could not turn them. Only blink in green and disappeared. When I re-loaded everything back to normal. But the problem still comes back with NV...

I think there is my fault but I don`t know where exactly - I`m thinking about my mods.

ACE, ACEX, CBA, CBA_A2 and Namalsk and of course NC.

Edited by col_Kurtz
My mods...

Hi Sumrak,

yes and yes :)

Humm... Looks like I need APSI and this... ERV weapon too. From this moment the Weird weapon is reached. But I can`t send my mate to destroy Tunguska. So I used "Endmission" ;)

Just before the blast of the EPM suddenly moved me from third-person view to first person view. At the same time I lost sight NV, NV did not have it in my equipment. After wake up, NV were in my inventory but I could not turn them. Only blink in green and disappeared. When I re-loaded everything back to normal. But the problem still comes back with NV...

I think there is my fault but I don`t know where exactly - I`m thinking about my mods.

ACE, ACEX, CBA, CBA_A2 and Namalsk and of course NC.

I find something in your rpt file, looks like you are using CO version of campaign and modification on classic Arma II (at least, from what I saw), please, take a look on instructions here:

For Arma II users, download Namalsk Crisis, version 1.00, apply compatibility patch, then download Namalsk Crisis, Update 1, v1.00 -> v1.10 and apply compatibility patch for Update 1.

For Arma II Combined Operations users, download Namalsk Crisis, version 1.00 and then apply Namalsk Crisis, Update 1, v1.00 -> v1.10.

( Source: http://www.nightstalkers.cz/en_index_nc.php?menu=en_nc_down )

EMP should disable your night vision, so, you should have broken night vision instead.. and that's - according its name - not working, but its still in your inventory. ;)

I see your mod folder structure, are you using six updater? If not, you don't need extra Namalsk folder, NC contains Namalsk v1.11 (newest), If yes, then its fine, but still, you should probably use some Arma II classic compatibility patches (see upper). ;)

Sumrak

OMG... Ok, thank you very much. Knew it - almost. Anyway I`ll try to finish this campaign as it is and no more complain. After this, I`ll try to reload whole @NC again and than will see, ok?:)

After downloading Namalsk Crisis and I'm still in the campaign....I want to try out the Night Stalkers campaign as well but I cannot find it.

Is it in the same .rar file that came with Crisis? I'm looking all over your web page and the .rar file. Pls help. Really want to play that campaign....

OMG... Ok, thank you very much. Knew it - almost. Anyway I`ll try to finish this campaign as it is and no more complain. After this, I`ll try to reload whole @NC again and than will see, ok?:)

Yeah, it should work ;)

After downloading Namalsk Crisis and I'm still in the campaign....I want to try out the Night Stalkers campaign as well but I cannot find it.

Is it in the same .rar file that came with Crisis? I'm looking all over your web page and the .rar file. Pls help. Really want to play that campaign....

Nightstalkers: Shadow of Namalsk => modification containing all kind of stuff (mutants, modules, Namalsk, ...)

Namalsk Crisis => campaign featured with Nightstalkers: Shadow of Namalsk modification, its Nightstalkers campaign though ;)

Arrrg where the fuck are the NV's on number 6 !!! XD

Great work , some of the best cut scenes ive seen

I think the campaign is really good, not only cut scenes;)

Here's a help if you wish to read:

Try to find a UAZ with a dead Russian Spec-ops body aside, the vehicle may possibly store up 2 functional NVGs

Hello Folks!

I'm having an issue with what I believe is Mission 19, the one that requires the Player to use High Command to

capture the island that's just off Namalsk's shoreline. Except for the first objective (capture the island), every objective has been achieved. There aren't any OPFOR icons superimposed anywhere on the island anymore, yet the mission won't end. If every objective has been seized, then why won't the mission recognize that the island has been captured?

Thanks in advance!

Hello Folks!

I'm having an issue with what I believe is Mission 19, the one that requires the Player to use High Command to

capture the island that's just off Namalsk's shoreline. Except for the first objective (capture the island), every objective has been achieved. There aren't any OPFOR icons superimposed anywhere on the island anymore, yet the mission won't end. If every objective has been seized, then why won't the mission recognize that the island has been captured?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, it is probably mission 16,

that one, where you need to capture Tara island. So, if all objectives except the main are completed, try to wait some time, its maybe slowed down a little (I don't know how long did you wait), this mission have a lot of AI units, all fighting on different places of Tara, so, it can be possible, otherwise, send me through pm rpt log file, if anything went wrong in scripts, it will be there.

Sumrak

You have any more campaigns out? I could have sworn you had more out there...

Link me up? Pls?

Edit:

OK, I see there is the Conspiracies: Rising Dead II and Conspiracies Part III.

Can I use you latest Namalsk MOD for these games? I mean, the same MOD as for Crises.

Edited by Kommiekat