Sign in to follow this  
SAYSteez

Why isn't it running good?

Jumping from a 9800 to a 460 will help you, but please do not expect a perfect game and then loose your cool.

I've gone from SLI 8800GTX, 260's, 285's over the past 4+ years and I've found (for my old cpu's) that only 1 285 is needed to give me a smooth game. It will take you a lot of testing of all game and pc performance options before you find your "sweet spot".

And as others say, faster harddrives/ssd will help just as much as a new up to date video card.

Dude, the problem is on your end. I have a shitty little dual-core laptop with a 512mb graphics card and I can get 70fps while looking at the sky.

(snip)

Same here (ThinkPad W500, 2.53 Ghz dual core running XP, 512 Gb ATI FireGL V5700, 4 Gb ram, 500Gb 7200 RPM drive) and I'm playing CO at a (native) rez of 1680X1050 pretty damn smoothly. Drop it down to 1280X800 (to preserve the 16:10 aspect ration) and it fairly screams. And I haven't even started 'tweeking' around with the vid settings yet!

Yea, the 'ol laptop heats up but otherwise from my POV I'm just tickled to death... astounded really since all of the 'details' are set on high.

Thus I have to think the OA engine is clearly well 'optimized'. The best (Arma 2 similar framerate) I can hope for with any other games I play like MW2, Crysis, etc. is 1024X768 or 800X600.

Jumping from a 9800 to a 460 will help you, but please do not expect a perfect game and then loose your cool.

I've gone from SLI 8800GTX, 260's, 285's over the past 4+ years and I've found (for my old cpu's) that only 1 285 is needed to give me a smooth game. It will take you a lot of testing of all game and pc performance options before you find your "sweet spot".

And as others say, faster harddrives/ssd will help just as much as a new up to date video card.

I learned my lesson going SLi or having a dual GPU card... The 9800GX2 was a nightmare for me...

If you think buying a 460 is going to be the cure of your ills, you got a disappointment coming.

If you think buying a 460 is going to be the cure of your ills, you got a disappointment coming.

how does an overclocked 470 sound?

Same here (ThinkPad W500, 2.53 Ghz dual core running XP, 512 Gb ATI FireGL V5700, 4 Gb ram, 500Gb 7200 RPM drive) and I'm playing CO at a (native) rez of 1680X1050 pretty damn smoothly. Drop it down to 1280X800 (to preserve the 16:10 aspect ration) and it fairly screams. And I haven't even started 'tweeking' around with the vid settings yet!

Yea, the 'ol laptop heats up but otherwise from my POV I'm just tickled to death... astounded really since all of the 'details' are set on high.

Thus I have to think the OA engine is clearly well 'optimized'. The best (Arma 2 similar framerate) I can hope for with any other games I play like MW2, Crysis, etc. is 1024X768 or 800X600.

Jealous. What I didn't say is that I'm lucky to get 20fps when looking anywhere other than the sky. Hmmn, maybe it really is my graphics card that bottlenecks.

Either way, something gets too hot after five minutes and I have to take a break to let things cool down or FPS gets throttled.

how does an overclocked 470 sound?

No, you're missing the point. His system is so out of date that replacing just one aspect of it won't change things very much for him. He needs a new motherboard and CPU at the very least.

No, you're missing the point. His system is so out of date that replacing just one aspect of it won't change things very much for him. He needs a new motherboard and CPU at the very least.

Not out of date just doesn't like ArmA2... The 460 will fix my problems with every other game which is all I need... I have to ask... Why do you think the 955BE is so out of date? It's pretty much the i7 920 and it can reach almost the i7 920 speeds overclocked... If there is one thing I hate is people who need to get off of the i7s dick :)

Not out of date just doesn't like ArmA2... The 460 will fix my problems with every other game which is all I need... I have to ask... Why do you think the 955BE is so out of date? It's pretty much the i7 920 and it can reach almost the i7 920 speeds overclocked... If there is one thing I hate is people who need to get off of the i7s dick :)

If you search for a pc to get higher fps in all other games why are you posting here on the BIS forums?

You don't listen to us, you write heated posts, you hate ArmA2 - plz go troll somewhere else.

)rStrangelove;1909332']If you search for a pc to get higher fps in all other games why are you posting here on the BIS forums?

You don't listen to us' date=' you write heated posts, you hate ArmA2 - plz go troll somewhere else.[/quote']

Because I wanted help on the ArmA2 FPS problem... I never wrote a heated post? I don't hate ArmA2 I used to play it all the time when I had XP... Sorry you feel that way though :( :rolleyes:

**EDIT** And about all the other games! Do you really think I would buy a whole new computer just to play ArmA2? I mean seriously? I'm fine with the other 20+ games that are out... I'm not going to trip over one game! Makes 110% no sense...

---------- Post added at 03:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 AM ----------

BTW Can a mod close this thread? I got what I came for :) Thanks to everyone who helped it's playable!

Edited by SAYSteez

Do you really think I would buy a whole new computer just to play ArmA2? I mean seriously? I'm fine with the other 20+ games that are out... I'm not going to trip over one game! Makes 110% no sense...

I built a new computer just to play ArmA 2, thats because for me ArmA 2 is better than all those 20+ games that are out, combined :tongue:

You have to understand that ArmA 2 is not like the other games, this is a simulator that will bring a desktop PC to its knees, not some corridor shooter with scripted AI.

If you're looking for an answer to your FPS problem but aren't willing to invest any money in to your rig then you might as well not ask.

it's public secret our games are here to ensure hardware companies actually sell something for reason :)

Do you really think I would buy a whole new computer just to play ArmA2? I mean seriously?

Well, I did :rolleyes:

Do you really think I would buy a whole new computer just to play ArmA2?

Without BIS I would still be using a Pentium II playing some crappy DOS game.

Originally Posted by SAYSteez

Do you really think I would buy a whole new computer just to play ArmA2? I mean seriously?

Yes !!! Seriously!!! I built mine from scratch just for Arma. Do I reallly need a sata3 SSD, 6 core cpu and a 6870 gpu... Probably not, but it sure doesn't hurt Arma's performance any.

My current PC was built to run ArmA at full settings, my up-coming PC will be built to run Arma 2 and TOH at full settings. ;)

Takes lots of research and sifting through troubleshooting threads for me to determine which parts or makes to buy and which to stay away from.

Anyways, locked as requested.