Sign in to follow this  
crazyrobban

Surviving a helicopter crash

I'm trying to simulate a chopper crash and have the crew and chopper ok when it touches down.

(To be honest, I don't have access to my pc atm so I'm just trying to get all the resources for when I can start building the mission.)

I have the tail-rotor failure stuff figured out (lots of threads about that) but I want all the soldiers to survive the crash, except for the pilot, so I'll just do a setDamage on him when the chopper hits the ground.

But, how do I make the players survive? And it would be nice if I could have the chopper intact but a little banged up. I'll put a BIS fire effect on it after the crash as well.

with allowdamage false, player will still die if heli explodes with player inside.

with allowdamage false, player will still die if heli explodes with player inside.

So do you have to do some scripting to remove the player and crew milliseconds before the impact and then recreate them shortly thereafter? Or is there a simpler way?

Thanks

So do you have to do some scripting to remove the player and crew milliseconds before the impact and then recreate them shortly thereafter? Or is there a simpler way?

Thanks

I get the idea.. make the helicopter crash.. then miliseconds before the impact, move the player to near outside teh copper, then exec this sqf :

titleCut ["", "BLACK FADED", 100];
player setPos (getPos somewhereoutsidechopper);
player setUnconscious true;
sleep 3;
"dynamicBlur" ppEffectEnable true;   
"dynamicBlur" ppEffectAdjust [15];   
"dynamicBlur" ppEffectCommit 0;     
"dynamicBlur" ppEffectAdjust [0.0];  
"dynamicBlur" ppEffectCommit 10;

did'nt try out this though :rolleyes:

Or just also do allowDamage false on the chopper, and setDammage on the chopper yourself. It might still damage the players, not sure, need to check, but at least I'm pretty sure they'll still be alive so you can setDammage 0 on them afterwards.

Or, if you really want it simple, start the mission after the chopper is already crashed, because having a "fake" crash can give some weird results, such as a big fireball explosion yet the people inside survive, or with allowDamage false you might have the chopper land up side down and still have nothing happen to it (other than damage you set yourself)...

Guys. The simple solution is player addEventHandler ["HandleDamage",{}]

Guys. The simple solution is player addEventHandler ["HandleDamage",{}]

Yeah, this is the way. The players will be invulnerable while this EH is on them, so you can do what you like to the helicopter.

Plz explain bcoz I have got a cracking coop mission planned

I'll attempt to,

Adding an EventHandler to a player with the type handleDamage will make the player invincible if it has no return value.

Just remember to remove the EventHandler, unless you want to be always invincible...

More Info:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2:_Event_Handlers#HandleDamage

What if you wanted to apply it to all players in the chopper and then remove it from all players after the crash?

What if you wanted to apply it to all players in the chopper and then remove it from all players after the crash?

Just put that event handler on each player you want to be invincible, so name unit's accordingly and rather than player, use whatever you named the units in the editor. E.G "squadLeader", "pilot".