Sign in to follow this  
bravo409

How about a new AI Please

but now that 1.59 is out - holy shit - the ai is now amazing

so damn right *thumbsup*

the last days i had the best flawless, amazing arma experience ever

i always avoided using the AI in the past as squadleader, now, finally the AI follows orders on point even healing etc works flawless + the performance improved alot, less stutter, less framedrops, zooming works without fps loss, LOD switching improved also ALOT.

we dont use any mods for the enemy AI, just DAC, in CQB on Fallujah the AI really kicked our asses the last days

to those who have problems hiding from the AI:

dont count on it that u can hide from the AI, just keep in mind, that the AI will/might see u, even when it just had line of sight on a few pixels of ur right shoe. so keeping the lowest profile even on mid or high distance is the best way to stay hidden, and when u fired the first shot, silenced or not, count on it that the AI will find u. and i dont think that the AI is overpowered that way. Sure the i-just-saw-2pixels-of-u recognition-ai is frustrating sometimes BUT in what situation does that happen? with alot foliage around - so if the AI was human the human would be more careful in that area and would take the further steps in mind - if u think about it like that- like it is now, its quite fair. and dont shoot from concealment - shoot from cover ! :)

Edited by RunForrest

AI does NOT in fact see through bushes. This was made quite obvious to me today, in a quick skirmish on Proving Grounds. I was able to hide in bushes and ambush (no pun intended) enemies very easily.

Remember, however, that bushes are CONCEALMENT and not COVER. If you make yourself visible, the AI will suppress you regardless.

I have to be honest and say that the AI I fight in towns now are no different at all to fight against than the AI in Arma1. They do the odd new thing, like use there m203 launchers (a bit too often and at the wrong times mostly no less, but still it's nice to be shelled :) ) but for the most part they seem to me to be identical.

Hmmm, sorry but I respectfully disagree here. The AI in Arma1 were a major turnoff for me due to their inability to understand cover at all. They knew cover existed, they knew it was nearby -they just didnt have the ability to place themselves between you and it.

ARMA2 AI still have their problems. Obviously indoor and window fighting are basically non-existent and their still seems to be a shortatge of playbook calling ie.. "tanks nearby and we have no counter weapons -Run Away!!!!"..

...but, they do move MUCH better thru cluttered environments and tend to use cover surprisingly well.

Basically I think we have had enough AI tweaking for now and I would like to really see more content fixes, like texture bugs/ island bugs/ building bugs/ graphical glitches/ vehicle bugs /weapons systems etc fixed. Not that they arn't looking at them now, they are. Just more of it would be good, especially in favour of AI fixes.

Again disagree. Except for PvP'ers -Ai IS the game. I remember the moment I hung up my Arma 1 hat for good: Was playing some large scale co-op with like 40 other players and we were doing all of this planning on how to take the next town. Anticipation high and everyone following precise orders, we entered the AI town in armor only to witness hordes of enemy AI infantry that just stood around -literally stood there. They had no weapons to fend off our Armor so they just played robot hoping we'd just go away.

Sorry for the self indulgent long read :p I'd really love if they kept at the AI until they had more understanding of odds and when its not worth it to fight. To be able to pop up and down from walls and windows with quick fire. And finally, to clear a house proper. :)

Edited by froggyluv

my guess is the OP started to play much later after Arma2 was released.

sometimes i had nightmares about the shitty AI, all my men dying, over and over again:D

with all the fixes over the time the AI is now in a pretty good state and we can just hope for some small improvements here and there. there´s only 1 thing which comes to my mind atm and thats that they should keep closer in much more in formation even if you advance faster as squadleader. also some year old bugs like the crouch pistol thing which is on dev heaven for 2 years allready.

Edited by Coffeecat

Well at least you can customize the AI if you open your <yournickname>.ArmA2OAprofile and change the settings:

skillFriendly

skillEnemy

precisionFriendly

precisionEnemy

from 0 (poor + dumb) to 1 (unbelievable precise)

You can try

skillFriendly = 0.8

skillEnemy = 0.8

precisionFriendly = 0.6

precisionEnemy = 0.4

:)

I was surprised when I used SLX first time(only slx). Firefights started to be realistic. No Suicide attacks of AI's. They started to take cover(mostly in the buildings) and only if they find a good cover, they start to make first steps to engage the enemy and also SLX has the best first aid and the best blood effects. SLX always gives a radio to one of a squad mambers and radios make AI's communicate betwen squads so AI's now share their informations about enemy positions.

On a side note, there is no such thing as "Zeus AI"/"SLX AI"/etc, the Artificial Intelligence is exactly the same, the only difference are the values given to them and maybe, some scripted stuff for them to do.

_neo_

Neokika is right. They just tweak AI so that the lowest skill slider setting in the editor is not the lowest anymore and is closer to vanilla medium (well of course it isn't that simple and they make some other tweaks that make settings better than default plus scripts like aforementioned radios)

In vanilla the lowest setting means AI will act more like an insurgent - not minding formations in combat, ignoring better cover and not being good at teamwork and flanking

The highest skill setting makes AI flank, take cover and stick together.

The mission maker may just had AI slider set too low.

Edited by metalcraze

if you have a problem with the AI been to good for you because your a noob why dont you turn their skill level down.

ArmA2´s AI is, properly set up, one of the few worth fighting against :cool: