Sign in to follow this  
boyBlue32

Is there really no fix for AI stuck in "danger" mode??

I've been trying to research this problem for a while now - I don't know if maybe it's just not common, or I'm the only one that actually cares! I've tried with ACE, Zeus, various other AI mods, and it always happens. I put the AI in danger mode as I like to do during combat. Combat ends, and my squad is stuck in danger mode and will not take any orders afterwards, except to slowly follow me in bounding mode. I know you can put them in compact column and delta formation and they'll follow without bounding, but good luck issuing any other orders because they won't listen at all. This basically ruins any attempt at finishing a mission since the game basically breaks after the first major engagement.

Does nobody have a solution to this problem?

This was solved months ago in countless beta patches and release candidetes. Official 1.59 is imminent and will contain the fix.

Ohh okay. That's really good to hear. If I get one of the betas/RCs, it'll fix the issue? I have Combined Ops on Steam. Or should I just wait for the official patch?

I'd just wait for the Steam patch, unless they say that the retail patch is compatible with the Steam version. It shouldn't be too much longer until 1.59 release though.

Putting the AI in Safe mode still doesn't do it in the current official version; if the AI still thinks there's hostiles around it will stay in Danger mode until it declares the area "Clear," which the player can't do himself.

It's definitely solved in the Betas and Release Candidates, and I'd recommend you download them right now if you don't want to wait for the official patch (for which I definitely wouldn't blame you!).

A beta patch could cause a problem with the steamversion of the game. I'am not sure about that, but as I remember there was a official warning, that the beta patches are not working with all steam versions of the game.

I believe the problem you are experiencing is what has been coined as "auto-Danger", and it's actually a deliberate feature, not a bug. AI will automatically enter Danger mode when they are fired on by other units, and will remain that way until all enemy units that they know of are killed, or if they're far enough away from the enemy units that they are no longer a threat.

What the rest of you are talking about is the old bug where the AI were literally unable to move when they enter Danger mode. That indeed has been fixed. "Auto-Danger" is something else entirely that seems to be a permanent addition. ;)

Also to add I think one of the betas also did update the Auto danger feature so AI teams weren't staying so long in that mode, IE they were/are quicker to detect and come out and report "safe" better.

As Zipper rightly mentioned "stuck" in danger mode was just that, no movement bug and fixed, other is normal function. There are a few debate threads about "forcing" AI out of danger have a search about. Although didn't one of the betas fix it so moving men into vehicle in danger meant they do now ignore bounding overwatch? Or are more fluent to get into a vehicle .. I forget now.

Edited by mrcash2009

I believe the problem you are experiencing is what has been coined as "auto-Danger", and it's actually a deliberate feature, not a bug. AI will automatically enter Danger mode when they are fired on by other units, and will remain that way until all enemy units that they know of are killed, or if they're far enough away from the enemy units that they are no longer a threat.

What the rest of you are talking about is the old bug where the AI were literally unable to move when they enter Danger mode. That indeed has been fixed. "Auto-Danger" is something else entirely that seems to be a permanent addition. ;)

Yes, I've read that "auto-danger" is an intentional feature. If so, it's just plain broken, and I hope they at least tweak it. My men will engage, the enemy might retreat over a hillside or something and camp out. I can appreciate that my team is still on alert, but they refuse to listen to any orders in the meantime. If I want the medic to heal while we wait around, he won't listen. If I tell my men to resupply at a nearby crate, they won't listen. If I decide we need to regroup and retreat, they'll eventually follow, but it'll take a damn long time. I can literally sit for 10+ minutes, waiting for things to be "safe" in the eyes of my team - and if the area is crawling with enemies, I can pretty much forget about issuing any orders for the rest of the mission, because my men will be stuck in danger as soon as they suspect something is around!

I will eagerly await the next patch, and I really hope it fixes this. Anybody know when it might be released? Why is there no auto-danger override mod yet?!

Anyways, I wound up purchasing original ARMA Gold yesterday, cause I need my fix, and this auto-danger stuff is insanely frustrating and game-breaking.

I ran some tests and had no problem entering and leaving Danger mode after combat, so I suspect I've either misunderstood this thread, or else the "auto-danger" thing only shows up under certain combat conditions, or in certain missions etc.

Or maybe I just hit the key sequences differently to everybody else, I don't know.

In all the AA2 games I've ever played, I've never been stuck in Danger mode.

The only scrap of advice I can think of when you want to exit Danger mode is to go to 'Aware' mode, it worked for me.

If anybody can suggest how I could set up a test to try to recreate the "stuck in Danger mode' phenomenon, let me know.

(I'm vanilla Comb Ops 1.57)

PS- As a matter of interest, maybe I don't fully understand the modes. What's the difference between Danger and Stealth?

And what is Safe for?

This is how I read it-

AWARE= the default normal movement mode

DANGER= move in bounds

STEALTH= move in bounds

SAFE= Relax

I feel the Op's pain but haven't seen or felt this bug since betas ( using most recent RC6).

Some time ago it was so bad, I left the game for a good 5 months.

In 1.59 it's fine tuned

If you will order your unit to move somewhere or board something while in standing stance he will run there despite being in danger mode

If you'll do the same in crouch stance - the units will move more slowly and carefully (useful when you are sure there are enemies between them and their destination) - note you can use that order to move your medic closer to wounded fast

Medics also tend to heal units much more quickly (almost right away when they don't see any enemy around) although I'm not sure that this one is 100% because of 1.59 as I'm also playing with ACE

Overall I think there is a giant leap between 1.57 and 1.59 AI, especially when it comes to 'danger' stance.

Edited by metalcraze

Not to mention the best fix of all in the beta patches, the AI will no longer muck around when you order them to board a vehicle while in danger mode. ^_^