Sign in to follow this  
Darkhorse 1-6

If A War Were To Break-out...

I remember a joke about the German army where it says that the german army is only supposed to slow down the enemy until the military arrives.

What would I do if a war broke out? Well...if croatia was invaded again by someone, I would definately go and enlist into the army as would most croatians. If there was some sort of rebellion...well thats a different story. It would depend on the actuall scenario.

Same here.

well im afraid from die so no...
The main point is...you can die anyway when you get bombed by the chinese or resist the Borg! This is aboout War already raging in your backyard. Not much of a choice...you will be affected anyway.

I'd flee instead of fighting. I enjoy living. Theres no point in figthing trained men anyway when you are an average joe/jessie.

You guys have some funny scenarios ......

I am currently living and studying in Germany and I know from my friends who are in active service and underwent reserve training would not nessesarily sacrifice their lives and all their dearest belongins if the enemy reveiled it's superiority in the course of fighting, especially when so much could be destroyed. Germany simply has not the effective structure to hinder a greater force from invading the country and it's lacks on a decicive quantity of newly developed defensive systems. That all in case, if the enemy really reached the borders.

But of what size of force are we talking about ? The Russian army ? The Armed Forces of the Russian Federation have reached their peak of might ..... in the early 80s and it dramatically dropped in the 30 years that followed. The eastern block alone would be a titanium wall for Russian logistics, supply and motorized divisions. The Bundeswehr could even launch supportive attacks and drive them back. It is completly impossible today for Russia to take over land, unless it uses unconventional weaponry. The Russian govenrmnet would have to create an ultimate fighting doctrine, spendings a hundred times higher amount of money and and unbelievable high amount of resources than at the current to mobilize a force greater then tens of thousands to risk an intervention. It would take a decade at very least. We allready witnessed it.

As of guerilla and asymmetric warfare. I know that my own country wouldn't survive an invasion of someone like Russia. Guerilla warfare would just bring even more casaulties to a determined large scale assault on my nation. But still, I personally would like I did the last time, anytime break up my studies go there and take arms. Even if it is only for days and pretty much hopeless.

If you have an effective fighting force with a size, then asymmetric warfare makes you survive and him bleeding out. It is simple and it simply works. You have to be disciplined, must have unbreakable fighting will and morale. If you allready at the beginning start to whine on such a discussion and come with how senceless everything is and everyone will die anyway, than of course nothing will ever have a chance.

An invasion does not mean that you are completly off from any military capabilities. A nation`s army if not surrendered instantly because of loosing all available capacities in the very first hours, will try to first expose itself with all means it has to stop an enemy and when that fails, it will rely on the nation's support for building up resistance cells, training them, supplying them and mobilizing them for supporting asymmetric warfare of current radius. That means, there will be plans to attack the enemy where it exposes weakspots and you are able to make painful damage, often beeing not nessesarily superior in numbers and arms but more effective ( position, situation, tactics, strategy ) only in that radius of action.

I like how many people are fascinated from the hillarious Chinese Red Dawn scenario. How are they gonna invade the US, with steamboats ? Seriously, stay serious.

Edited by CommanderYuri

I wouldn't give a crap,like someone said too much backstabbing(at least in my country) to fight off the invasion or rebellion.Besides I have problems following orders and dying because an asshole send me to death,only one side to choose and that is my side.Yup I'm an bad example for patriotism.

@mrcash2009 gave an excellent example with the chess board,too many times the first line gets fucked while the second line are nice and dandy or kiss&make-up after the usual onslaught.

The only thing I would do though would be to stockpile provisions and shitload of weapons but only to keep my family and friends safe.Militia style all the way.

Also maybe "borrow" an T72 and joyriding through town until run out of fuel or someone rpg my ass.:moto:

As a Belgian I would rather join another allied country army and fight those who invade us. We don't stand a chance against any invaders except Luxembourg or the Vatican :D
Belgium gave the kaiser and hitler a bloody nose before he finally took over. Personally I'd stay and fight until retreat was the only option then I'd go to an allied country and join with the government in exile.

I wouldn't give a crap,like someone said too much backstabbing(at least in my country) to fight off the invasion or rebellion.Besides I have problems following orders and dying because an asshole send me to death,only one side to choose and that is my side.Yup I'm an bad example for patriotism.

@mrcash2009 gave an excellent example with the chess board,too many times the first line gets fucked while the second line are nice and dandy or kiss&make-up after the usual onslaught.

The only thing I would do though would be to stockpile provisions and shitload of weapons but only to keep my family and friends safe.Militia style all the way.

Also maybe "borrow" an T72 and joyriding through town until run out of fuel or someone rpg my ass.:moto:

Fightinng a rebellion in your inner circles is something way different than fighting a foreign invader who wants to destroy you. In such a case there is a very high possibility that both opposing sides would couple to fight the new enemy. But a much higher possibility could be that the rebels side with the enemy in the same situation to finally gain control over your state, but most probably would have to hand it over to the invaders. Both has been withnessed in a suprisingly amount in the past decades.

The "asshole sends me to hell" issue is something than falls short during an invasion, when the army is allready shattered and everyone relies on eachother. The suviving military elemnts provide the professional core of a resistance. Orders in such situation will most probably be in favour of tactical superiority of your side and not sending everyone wave for wave into enemy machinegun fire. That's a misleading thought.

The Chechen resistance for example was trained by the Chechen "military" force that gained experience in fighting the Russian Army in the first episodes. There were not massgathering of Chechen militia all throwing themselves into Russian volleys like a few movies show. No, they behaved tactical and were divided into small groups of 4 mabye 8 men, half of them armed with RPGs and sniper rifles. It worked years considering that Chechnya is in Russia(!) and a peanut sized territory for Russia to control.

Anyway, nothing will prevent you from beeing personally affected from what happens around you. So, is there much of choice anyway ? - NO.

Edited by CommanderYuri

The Chechen resistance for example was trained by the Chechen "military" force that gained experience in fighting the Russian Army in the first episodes. There were not massgathering of Chechen militia all throwing themselves into Russian volleys like a few movies show. No, they behaved tactical and were divided into small groups of 4 mabye 8 men, half of them armed with RPGs and sniper rifles. It worked years considering that Chechnya is in Russia(!) and a peanut sized territory for Russia to control.

Anyway, nothing will prevent you from beeing personally affected from what happens around you. So, is there much of choice anyway ? - NO.

The Chechen resistance was very well trained but you forget in the first Chechen war the russian army there got fucked pretty bad also because of idiots in charge,no or very chaotic communication,no reconnaissance,sending tanks in an urban enviro without any infantry support and so on.Pretty much like I said when an idiot in charge sends you to death but this time on the invader side.

So yes it's true the Chechens were very good at guerilla fighting but they also got lucky because of idiots in russian army who led so many soldiers into their deaths and huge equipment losses because of stupid decisions.

The Chechen resistance was very well trained but you forget in the first Chechen war the russian army there got fucked pretty bad also because of idiots in charge,no or very chaotic communication,no reconnaissance,sending tanks in an urban enviro without any infantry support and so on.Pretty much like I said when an idiot in charge sends you to death but this time on the invader side.

So yes it's true the Chechens were very good at guerilla fighting but they also got lucky because of idiots in russian army who led so many soldiers into their deaths and huge equipment losses because of stupid decisions.

Sounds like the usual Warfare match in ArmA ;)

10 years + another 10 ( remind that the Checehns won the first war (!) )to declare victory over Chechen fighters which not counted more than a few thousands lightly armed but well trained peasents hiding in forrests and mountains in a tiny small area inside the Russian Federation. 8-14.000 military casaulties for the Russian army, allmost the same amount like in Afghanistan, is a bit ..... unusual.

Well, the Russians adapted and learned from the the Grozny catastrophy and some other epic mistakes. Still the Chechens allmost defeated them by dropping morale at a point, where nobody wanted to risk his life in a forrest anymore. In a timeframe of 20 years, an army has to be able to learn from it's mistakes. I mean, just think about it. The Chechens used the same tactics over and over again and it worked, inflicting heavy inacceptable losses. They didn't move anywhere else. It all did take place in the same damn area. Resistance makes your life hard. Chechnya is just an epic proof for that.

War should be cropped to square-kilometer free-for-all cage-fight ring. No escape, and thousands of spectators shoulder-to-shoulder with loaded guns aimed ringwards over its wall tops. Now enter the war-hungry politicians, and cheer as they fall, and swarm-kill mass-bayonetting the ultimate sole victorious bastard!

Edited by Thani '82

War should be cropped to square-kilometer free-for-all cage-fight ring. No escape' date=' and thousands of spectators shoulder-to-shoulder with loaded guns aimed ringwards over its wall tops. Now enter the war-hungry politicians, and cheer as they fall, and swarm-kill mass-bayonetting the ultimate sole victorious bastard![/quote']

I agree that if all those politicians want to war for profit, than they shall take arms and fight eachother rather then risking the lifes of millions.

Ok, looks like this thread has gone off the deep end. Closing.