Sign in to follow this  
EDcase

No more flying bodies please

Ragdoll would improve this, and it doesn't need to break the MP object placements, in a suitably coded MP ragdoll system the torso position would be subject to the normal game engine processing, but all arm, head & leg positions could be done clientside. After all, what would it matter if each player saw different arm & leg positions? I doubt this detail would ever be noticed outside of screenshot comparisons.

For the unconvinced, ragdoll systems can be tweaked to allow more/less inertia per limb, so flailing and flopping bodies could be easily minimised by increasing the ragdoll's settings to make all limbs very heavy and more prone to the sort of stillness and leadenness we associate with RL dead bodies.

I agreee and would love to see this, but surely their aware of the sync-torso's only by now. I've been hearing about that for years :D

I agreee and would love to see this, but surely their aware of the sync-torso's only by now. I've been hearing about that for years :D

Yeah - I've been advocating it for years :D

COuldnt you have the ragdoll clientside? but the game just tracks a point on the body to see where it lands wich is sent to all the computers... so the animations would be just clientside but the bit that matters is in the same place for everyone... You know what I mean 'Arry?

Nice idea about the arms but a bit like wolfbite is getting at, what are the variables? If it's the objects around the entity aren't they the same on all clients? If there's a random component just have the server communicate a randomised seed which should be applied consistently on all clients.

remember that most games using ragdolls calculate them completely or partly clientside w/o correct MP sync

this mean issues and usually each MP client sees something else

ragdoll like death solution would need to include not just change of death animations with dynamic blending from every posture ...

but it means correct collisions in the enviroment, MP sync, AI sync (to be able properly find where the corpses ended) and leaves question what happens to weapons or accessories/bags etc.

easy wish and quite complicated to solve correctly for complex game

Aren't there any alternatives to ragdolls? Aren't there any open source physics that could allow for different levels of physics so that BIS could cut eye candy physics that won't sync properly on MP? I mean full physics for SP and cut down version for MP?

Wouldn't also physics accelerated by OpenCL via GPGPU the best option??

I'd also support this change, I once hit an infantryman with a sabot round from M1 Abrams and he stayed in one piece. It should blow him into gibs.

The sabot is a kinetic round and I believe not terribly effective as an anti-personnel weapon. The subprojectile is a sleek rod often only about 25 mm in diameter sharpened down to a spike on the end. It would do serious damage to an individual, but depending where it hit, I suspect it often slices right through a person (like it is designed to do with armour), rather than blast them to shreds.

Edited by MissionCreep

The sabot is a kinetic round and I believe not terribly effective as an anti-personnel weapon. The subprojectile is a sleek rod often only about 25 mm in diameter sharpened down to a spike on the end. It would do serious damage to an individual, but depending where it hit, I suspect it often slices right through a person (like it is designed to do with armour), rather than blast them to shreds.

Yeah thats the job of HE rounds.

remember that most games using ragdolls calculate them completely or partly clientside w/o correct MP sync

ragdoll like death solution would need to include not just change of death animations with dynamic blending from every posture ...

but it means correct collisions in the enviroment, MP sync, AI sync (to be able properly find where the corpses ended) and leaves question what happens to weapons or accessories/bags etc.

I understand the complication of random calculations over multiple computers. Is the current collision dynamics of bodies calculated by the server? Then as stated before, the limbs could be clientside and the equipment stays with torso.

Or... Drop equipment at point of impact (last shared position) and then let client machine handle body physics. It doesn't really matter if people see the body land in different places then.

I wasn't really asking for ragdoll (though I'd love it) but more that bodies (and gear) should disappear when near an explosion or hit by high caliber shell. Gibbs would be great for lower level damage but I doubt BIS will do that for age restrictions.

Edited by EDcase

If you get blown to pieces by a close he shell I wouldn't concern about the gear. I think that you can't reuse any of the equipment if that person was just hit by he shell.

If you get blown to pieces by a close he shell I wouldn't concern about the gear. I think that you can't reuse any of the equipment if that person was just hit by he shell.

Yes, thats true and makes things simpler.

There are 2 separate things people are talking about here and my point got a bit side-tracked.

1) My point is to have bodies become a cloud of red 'smoke' when hit by high caliber round or close to an explosion (within 5m). (Equipment would be destroyed as well) For grenades and mortars this level of damage zone would be 1m.

2) Ragdoll physics. If point 1 above is implemented then this would only be used when bodies are thrown a short distance by explosion, hit by vehicle or just crumple from gunshot. The torso will be calculated as it is now (by server?) but the limbs calculated on client machine so they are random. Equipment stays with torso.

EDIT: Made a ticket on CIT. Please vote if you want to stop flying bodies. See sig below

Edited by EDcase