Sign in to follow this  
Meath

Couple of Questions From a New Player

in regards to difficulty, i have been playing on expert and the AI accuracy is insane. there have been many times that i have been one shoted from 300m, while prone, by a guy with a AK without a scope. this seems way beyond realism and is especially anoying because most of the time these are not kill shots but incapacitating shots. when i want to take out a guy at 300m i have to hit them at least 3 times below the neck with my mk12 before they drop. how much does AI performance change with difficulty? this leads me to my second question.

is there a weapons chart for arma 2 like this one:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=246

i'm mainly interested in the difference between the mk12 SPR and the m-14/DMR.

..i'm mainly interested in the difference between the mk12 SPR and the m-14/DMR.

Specifically what differences are you looking for?

I just went into the Editor and picked them out of the US Special Forces weapons crate to try and there was no difference in game terms. They were both Semi-Automatic only, and they both had a zoomable daylight scope which was NVG- compatible.

PS- the AI accuracy in AA2 is too good just like you say. Even at 'Novice' difficulty they can kill us with their first couple of shots at long range even though we're lying prone in shrubbery, and as far as I know there's nothing we can do about it except hope a fix comes out.

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Mk12 - 5.56mm caliber

M14 - 7.62mm caliber

There are countless threads about accuracy and how it can be adjusted.

Why shooting you with an AK from 300 meters is beyond realism? The AK-74 has an effective range of 500-600 meters, the AKM 400 meters.

Meath: while the accuracy might be set correctly for the weapons, the AI behaviour does not take into account that even a highly trained human cannot turn in a second, acquire a sight of a shooter from 400m away and put a single bullet (.50 or 5.56, doesn't matter) in the middle of his torso or head.

Therfor we usually set the accuracy of friendly and enemy units via config to .30 or .35 at max. That makes AI realistic.

Or simply go to the game options and slide the enemy skill level a good bit lower till you are satisfied, with low settings they need longer to open fire and also more often miss.

Do a search for your game_name.ArmA2OAProfile (assuming you have ArmA2 and OA)

Search for "precisionEnemy" for difficulty setting you play nand adjust it...

Edited by EDcase

The other thing about accuracy, sometimes my character is lying prone just behind the crest of a hill, and the AI seems to be able to fire through the soil and hit my character!

-

thanks for the responses gentlemen. the specific differences i was looking for between the rifles were dmg, effective range, and penetration. if the coding is realistic the m-14 would be superior in all three cases. still, i think i will stay with the mk12 because i find the flip-up scope covers on the m-14 distracting when firing snap shots.

as far as the realism of the AI goes i'm glad some people agree so i don't feel like a

whiny bitch after choosing expert on all the missions:)

on an off-topic note i have a young friend that told me today that he would like to be a corpsman in the USMC. as far as i know the marines are unlike other branches in the military in that you are assigned a position instead of choosing one. still, is there any advice you have for him as to accomplishing this?

on an off-topic note i have a young friend that told me today that he would like to be a corpsman in the USMC. as far as i know the marines are unlike other branches in the military in that you are assigned a position instead of choosing one. still, is there any advice you have for him as to accomplishing this?

Unless he's the tough and athletic type, I'd advise you to advise him to stay in civilian life and become a nurse or a doctor if he really wants to patch people up. Young people often have a distorted view of military life and how they'd fare there.

Edited by Celery

You can choose. You take a test, then you choose the MOS options based on your test score. Though if you pick Logistics, and they are in need of infantry they will put you in infantry, just like any other branch. You are 'owned' by the government. They will use you how they please. Though, if you wanted to be a Corpsman you would join the navy not the Marines. The Marines do not have 'medics' or 'corpsman' the Navy provides the 'Corpsmans' for the marines.

..Unless he's the tough and athletic type, I'd advise you to advise him to stay in civilian life and become a nurse or a doctor if he really wants to patch people up..

But if everybody stayed a civvy who'd patch up wounded soldiers?

Meath: while the accuracy might be set correctly for the weapons, the AI behaviour does not take into account that even a highly trained human cannot turn in a second, acquire a sight of a shooter from 400m away and put a single bullet (.50 or 5.56, doesn't matter) in the middle of his torso or head.

Therfor we usually set the accuracy of friendly and enemy units via config to .30 or .35 at max. That makes AI realistic.

do you mean i should go to game options then edit difficulty and adjust the bars at the bottom?

But if everybody stayed a civvy who'd patch up wounded soldiers?

There would be no soldiers to patch up, then. And ignoring that, just like now, the soldiers would patch each other up before they're sent to a field hospital and then on to home or a real hospital. A corpsman is still a soldier who has to endure the same physical hardships and social pressure as everyone else, but has to take responsibility for wounded comrades, and like I said, young people have delusions of how they'd manage in the military world so I wouldn't recommend enlisting to anyone who isn't explicitly the military type in physique and mentality.

..I wouldn't recommend enlisting to anyone who isn't explicitly the military type in physique and mentality.

Hmm...

WIKI- Medal of Honor Winner Audie Murphy-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy

"..after being turned down by the Marines and the Army paratroopers for being too short at 5 feet 5.5 inches (166.4 cm), he was also turned down by the Navy for being slight of build.

He was sent to Camp Wolters, Texas, for basic training and during a session of close order drill, passed out (fainted).

His company commander tried to have him transferred to a cook and bakers' school because of his baby-faced youthfulness"

Audie_Murphy_uniform_medals.jpg

"There's no art to find the minds construction in the face"-Macbeth

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Hmm...

"..after being turned down by the Marines and the Army paratroopers for being too short at 5 feet 5.5 inches (166.4 cm), he was also turned down by the Navy for being slight of build.

He was sent to Camp Wolters, Texas, for basic training and during a session of close order drill, passed out (fainted).

His company commander tried to have him transferred to a cook and bakers' school because of his baby-faced youthfulness"

WIKI- Medal of Honor Winner Audie Murphy-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy

-snip-

"There's no art to find the minds construction in the face"-Macbeth

Yeah, this is true. Besides, basic training is specifically designed to turn civilians into soldiers. Basic training doesn't only teach you basic skills, it's meant to break down civilians and build them back up as soldiers

And Audie Murphy killed 200 Germans all by himself. As Tom Clancy said, it's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

And all those countries with active conscription? I guess they all suck and only a fraction of the people in there survive? Yeah I guess that's tr... oh wait, no it isn't.

Edited by Concurssi

I'm reminded of the story (don't know if it's true) about the young teenage boy who told his dad he wanted to join the military when he left school.

"Wow that's great son, and what will you be, a fighter pilot or tank driver, bomb aimer, drone pilot, submariner, sailor or artilleryman?"

"None of them dad" replied his son,"I want to be an infantryman and meet the enemy face to face"

I'm reminded of the story (don't know if it's true) about the young teenage boy who told his dad he wanted to join the military when he left school.

"Wow that's great son, and what will you be, a fighter pilot or tank driver, bomb aimer, drone pilot, submariner, sailor or artilleryman?"

"None of them dad" replied his son,"I want to be an infantryman and meet the enemy face to face"

Whats the rest of the story?

Whats the rest of the story?

That's it.

Incidentally I almost joined the Brit Army as a teenager years ago, I sent off for some glossy brochures but changed my mind. Then a week or two later a 'Sgt Butterfield' came knocking my door on a courtesy follow-up visit (full uniform, stripes and all) but I never answered it and dived behind the settee til he'd gone..

They actually make home visits? :confused:

Are you in the Army now?

No mate, I'm just a forum bum setting the world to rights from the comfort of my armchair, check out my sensational 'Oil' thread here at the Few Good Men if you like, I'm 2nd in command and look after the place (putting the cat out, running a mop over the floor etc) while the boss is down the pub-

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forumdisplay.php?2-The-Musket-Room