Sign in to follow this  
topas

September 1939 Mod

We're now workin' on some Wehrmacht stuff again.

Early shots of:

79485620.th.jpg

32114065.th.jpg

real photo

11545783.th.jpg

real photo

3D models by Mr Stanislaw Ludwinski (aka Bubus)

Edited by topas

Very nice models, I especially like the detailed wheels on the first one, with a nice UV and shaders they will look awsome in game. :yay:

"And now for something completely different"

35236336.th.jpg 78399874.th.jpg 40354118.th.jpg 42548434.th.jpg 48655906.th.jpg

:)

Now that’s really cool Topas, very elegant buildings with good detail! Something that would fit perfectly on Taviana I dare to say :smile:

The third picture looks very similar to the Taviana parliament I'm making.

Great job so far, I can't wait to see those buildings textured.

EDIT: I'm jelous of these buildings haha, will you have a custom island for the mod?

EDIT 2: Also, when I'm done with my Taviana Beta I'll get to work on that bus I promissed.

Edited by -Martin-

Thx Martin :)

As you surely know it's Sketchup, so the modelling is quite an easy process there, once you know what you want to achieve. I have no modelling experience, so if a complete noob can make these it's a good tool.

I only do hope these will be brought into A2 without much trouble. The test conversion results were quite satisfactory, we did not look into UV mapping yet.

PS:

All of the buildings planned (and shown) have (or had) their counterparts in real life. Due to the lack of sufficient reference (sometimes it's just one photo) some elements, or the backyard facades are made up.

The third one is based on a Ministry building in Warsaw. Ministry of Religious Confession and Public Edification. It became well known for the city inhabitants after 1939, when Gestapo chose it as their headquarters.

PS2;

Thanks! (but I'm afraid first there's something we still owe you.. :o )

And about the island.. Would be nice, but, one step at a time. We'll see once we're there. Want to give it a try after Taviana maybe, hehe? :icon_lol:

Edited by topas

They are all looking good! Will any of them be enterable? :)

Abs

once I master the modelling techniques, some of them for sure. Can't guarantee staircases or access to the higher floors, but some rooms at ground level, I think I can do.

Today will try to make some repair/service stations, car dealerships. These will be 100% enterable.

krolewska_13a.jpg

PIC_1-G-3933.jpg

I am also planning on doing something that will resemble:

z5213070X.jpg

z5517379X.jpg

In 1944 Uprising it saw some fierce fighting during (failed) capture attempts. Germans held it successfully.

I am still having difficulties in mastering the curved edges modelling here, so can't promise things will be 100% true to originals

I'm not sure what sketchup is like, but if you want me to make a video tutorial on how to use 3ds max to make a building, let me know. :)

(I will probably need a tutorial on how to make a tutorial first.)

Abs

Thanks in advance.

Will surely let you know when my brain is more knowledge-receptive... With over 30'C I'm not eager to learn anything at all (and if this was not bad enough the forecast says the whole June will be like this...)

The buildings were already successfully brought into Oxygen (can be exported to a .3ds or .obj formats that Oxygen then imports with ease). So that's a positive thing atm.

We just need to see if they can be UV-mapped with similar ease. If not, my Sketchup work is just a waste of time (well, plus some training in thinking in 3D). If yes, prepare for a gigantic uber-mega buildings pack :P

Edited by topas

i'll jump on the job with you topas...only a few week to go and i am more than willing to help out (btw, sketchup and UVs-->no way).

btw, nice to see you taking the 3d head on

Edited by PuFu

Looking good mate,

Have you tried Blender by the way Topas?

Want to give it a try after Taviana maybe, hehe? :icon_lol:

I don't see why not, after all its what I'm good at :)

Thanks for the comments guys.

Seems like I'd need to get to know Blender after all. (I have it installed since few days now, but the crowded interface with hundreds of buttons scared me away)

Before I switch to another software, just a quick exercise:

sk1h.th.jpg

inspired by:

img6964hs.th.jpg

Martin, thanks ;) but think twice before you agree, we're detail-crazy people here at the '39 mod

Nice pictures Topas, the building looks very Eastern European. :)

Regarding blender...

It's a good application but not something I recommend for beginners because of the conversion you got to undertake to get the model in to ArmA 2, and I don’t like the Blender UI, 3DS is much better in my opinion regarding that.

I would recommend o2 instead, although not nearly as sophisticated as Blender or 3DS (There is a P3D plug-in for 3DS max tough) it will help you understand the main concepts of 3D modelling (although you are probably familiar with that already) and you will be able to crate, texture and get a preview of what you’re doing in Bulldozer, so how your model shows in Bulldozer that’s how it will look in game, no converting and stuff needed.

Then when you’re familiar with it you can move to more complex applications like 3DS.

I use o2 for all of my ArmA buildings, I find it nice and simple, all the functions that I need are there, it gets the job done fast and the models are game ready straight out of the app.

But if Abs makes that tutorial for you as he said you should give 3DS a shot first because it has a P3D plug-in and better UI, you can always go to o2 if you find it too hard.

Good luck :)

Martin, thanks ;) but think twice before you agree, we're detail-crazy people here at the '39 mod

That's ok, me too :D I guess we will understand each other well then.

Edited by -Martin-

OT

@martin: you can't compare a 4000$ software with a free one. besides, 3ds max is not newb free either. if anything, from all 3d software out there, modo is the easiest

/OT

Edited by PuFu

you can't compare a 4000$ software with a free one.

Yeah that's true, sometimes I expect too much from Blender.

if anything, from all 3d software out there, modo is the easiest

I can't say because I never used it, but from what I've seen it looks pretty nice and straight forward, I'll give it a shot when I got some time myself.

Our generous supporter, Abs provided me with a shot of what he is currently working on.

skoda01q.th.jpg

Initially we have discussed to make the C7P artillery tractor (as it's relatively easy when you consider it's based on the 7TP / T-26 chasis, which we already have)

zR--dAazJvc

but eventually this somehow ended up being the actual artillery piece the C7P was towing in 3 parts, a 220mm Skoda howitzer.

These were built by Skoda for export, and the majority of produced pieces (27) went to Poland. They saw very limited (some claim that none) combat use in September, but after the fall of Poland the Germans took these over and were using them throughout the later periods of the war; mainly in the scandinavian theatre.

:) Thanks Abs!

Edited by topas

No problem at all. :) I ended up doing the Skoda 220mm because you said that it would be a challange, since there is next to no information out there about it. You were right, it was pretty challanging making it without the blueprints. Still, I think it's coming along nicely.

I figured if you were going to show the WIP of it, I may as well post the current status of the model.

Skoda02s.jpg

Click Pic.

Abs

Well, I decided to present this to the public, so some of the people here can get the idea on how hard it sometimes is to actually produce a model and how exciting it may be to follow the development process, seeing additional elements popping up with the next stages.

I just felt I can't do this the wrong way - like I did with the tank...

I only shown one pic so far and wanted to wait with more info until it's textured and ingame. Instead of rising the 'suspense' it just went unnoticed. It shouldn't, considering how much work went into this. And posting a ready addon with a 'thanks Abs' footnote would not be good too. I will post the facebook gallery here in the evening presenting how good the job done is. :)

-------------

Now some criticism! :P

Isn't this a bit too big though?

I ask this having Used the RL head size as reference

http://www.audiovis.nac.gov.pl/obraz/74456/h:38/

Guys are sitting on the second cart there, and it carries what seems to be the end of the barrel right?

http://www.audiovis.nac.gov.pl/obraz/74439/h:38/

just wondering ;)

Edited by topas

Looks like you're right. When I started, the only information I had regarding its size was the 220mm, and the barrel length was 4.34m. I created a cylinder with a 22cm radius, and flipped it to build out the rest of the barrel.

SizeRefSmall.png

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure about what the measurements are supposed to mean. If something is "Calibre: 220 mm (8.66 in)" does this mean the barrel is that width from the outside edge to the other outside edge?

Abs

Damn, no idea... We'd need to make this question a sticky and wait for someone with more brains to answer this for us...