Sign in to follow this  
topas

September 1939 Mod

Nice ...excellent as always, this mod is the most expected of me:love: and thx for your status reports

Great work fellas!

th_Untitled-2-1.jpg

Exsample of the outcome, last pixel repeats so you can´t get black edges:

th_AS_37_desert.jpg

Thanks for this professional advice and input, Kraetzer.

In fact, I am using an 'outline' layer when painting a texture, just as help. Usually I turn it off after completion of work, plus expand the texture areas to overlap with it - here it was just a quick WIP shot (the texture will be still changed and augmented), hence those thin lines are still visible.

There'll be no updates till August now, as I'm preparing for a deserved vacation which starts Thursday :) During these upcoming two weeks I will try to work on the German infantry for a change, to keep some (distinctively missing) balance. Need to sort out the UV mess and I will start to texture the gear (should be relatively easier as with Poles, as there overwhelmingly more hi-def pics and reference in the internet).

In the meantime I'm also brushing up my Oxygen skills. Managed to understand the 'selections' part enough to get the Adrian helmet ingame; now trying to figure out why the same method is not applicable to the mess tin and other stuff I want to have attached to the backpacks :P (everything floats between soldier's legs, despite being included in the redefined backpack selection). In the end, it's Jaksa who is responsible for the modeling and these kinds of things, but it's just part of my learning process.

PS:

Although some of the models look like they could use a bit more polys, your texture work is absolutely fantastic! ;)

Thanks for complementing us, and for pointing this out too. Just a word in our defense then:

Some of the models were meant to be used in the previous mod versions (the 7TP is actually an OFP model, optimized and with 4096 textures). With current manpower we'll need to just do with what we have now. Some refinement is an option, but for a somewhat more distant future. Too many aspects that need immediate attention now and a lot of content still missing atm to work on high-poly replacements for already existing models.

Edited by topas

Just so you know I'm still eager for this mod, I haven't forgot yet!

Dat Mosin nagant, any chance it will have a custom animation for the bolt pull? (Like the rifles on 144.)

Hell, only a bolt pull is necessary, not many people look at dem reloads, they are nice too but I understand how long it could take.

Hehe, a nice feature to have on our Mauser and Berthier and other bolt rifles, true...

But first we need to solve a little problem of another nature, yet very closely related to reloading. No idea why (we still had no time to look into it), but while reloading our characters stretch awfully and turn into alien-like 5m high monsters.

February2011 proof

there was a time I even thought of leaving it as it is; imagine the psychological effect it would have on the opposing force :D

Hehe, a nice feature to have on our Mauser and Berthier and other bolt rifles, true...

But first we need to solve a little problem of another nature, yet very closely related to reloading. No idea why (we still had no time to look into it), but while reloading our characters stretch awfully and turn into alien-like 5m high monsters.

February2011 proof

there was a time I even thought of leaving it as it is; imagine the psychological effect it would have on the opposing force :D

This isn't normal, but on meth it is.

(Not even once.)

Do they mess up on any other anims?

Abs

They do get giraffe necks when speaking. Strangely enough only the AI ones. Also, I'm not sure (need to reproduce this) but I think that they also do tend to stretch a bit when standing on an uneven ground (see pic2? The ground is fairly straight, but the height of soldiers is different)

arma2oa2011020101005664.th.jpg

arma2oa2011020101192957.th.jpg

I'm not worried about this leg stretching, as it seems to be one of general BI models issues - I spotted something similar on an ArmA III pic too (the guy to the left, his left leg)

http://hol-games.pl/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Arma3_screenshot_01-590x331.jpg

Edited by topas

That first pic is probably the scariest thing I have ever seen.

If I saw that in Antarctica, it would be necessary for me to burn the SHIT out of that.

Problem is, although I've had quite a bit of fun with importing custom infantry, I have no idea what causes that bug or how to fix it. :/

Oh bugger...Well, hopefully we'll find some solution to 'The Thing'-problem. It's not the biggest of our problems anyway, more important is to fix the selections, as most of our belts and gear do intersect with the body and tend to hide inside the chest/back when walking/running (sometimes even when standing, see below).

arma2oa2011012921581160.th.jpg

That's the most annoying thing, preventing me even from taking decent screenshots. looks like we will have to put everything else aside and focus on this issues after the summer break.

Edited by topas

What I did with the ONS troops was model the vest directly on to the body. That may be something that will have to be done here as well, however the gear won't be under the epaulettes unless they are modelled too.

Abs

No, this is just a placeholder texture (even the pic is an old one, like from February). The epaulettes are just a sloppy layer there... Will be modeled though. That's the plan anyway.

Hmm...As far as I know all straps, bags, pouches etc. originally come from a seperate .p3d file, elements of which are copied onto appropriate character models. You have the .pbo, so you can examine it - wpopo4 is the file.

Need I to assume now that this method was a wrongfully chosen one and now one (hehe, Jaksa) will have to model everything from scratch on each soldier? :eek:

(or am I getting it wrong now? sorry, am nearing the end of my shift at the office, my brain leaks...)

Edited by topas

Do you have a Gewehr 98 Model for German Pioniers?

And i don´t mean the Karabiner 98/98k.

14.jpg

yes Kraetzer, this will be featured in the weapons pack by Petrtlach (ACSR 38-45) that our Germans will be armed with.

Dobre! Dobre! Zajebisty pomysł! Myślałem o takim modzie bo historia tamtych czasów to coś orginalnego.

Nice one! Great idea! I've been thinking about a mod like this. You should add an Ur rifle as a good infantry weapon against german tanks. And how about our polish propaganda posters or something about history on a loading screen?

§13) Write in English

Please write only in English on the public forums. Avoid writing in any other language or any kind of slang or txt speak since the majority of the members most likely won't understand. In private messages you are of course welcome to write in any language you wish.

Lets keep the forums readable for everyone!

Lets keep the forums readable for everyone!

Miksi me niin tehtäis?

I kid, I kid.

Still waiting for dat nugget.

Miksi me niin tehtäis?

I kid, I kid.

I kid not, infraction sent your way.

Please stick to English, simple as that.

Thanks for positive feedback, Gerwazy.

You should add an Ur rifle as a good infantry weapon against german tanks.

Thanks for suggesting, but the anti tank rifle wz.35 has already been made.

Here in action

here the model

And how about our polish propaganda posters or something about history on a loading screen?

Something about history... hmm... the whole mod is about history :D But no worries. Our custom objects will feature a decent portion of propaganda / mobilization / advertising posters and all different sorts of hitorical evidence.

I have already prepared a set of store textures that show adverts of hygienic and household goods -> see here A movie theatre with 'now playing' movie posters displayed, suitable for the summer of 1939, as well a Polski Fiat or Chevrolet dealership with posters like this one are on our to-do list as well.

But nwo it's vacation time for us and nothing is being currently worked on. We just enjoy the rest, relax and use the time to prepare ourselves for working on the RKKA faction after the break. This very minute I'm reading about their pre-39 backpacks and try to find some comprehensive info on the Soviet rank system and collar tabs of that era...

Edited by topas

Enjoy your vacation. :)

I wish I could say that I was on vacation, but I'm really busy programming right now. You and I should probably have a Skype chat or something, soon. :cool:

Abs

Hey, good luck with the project.

Couple of months ago, I have listened to an audiobook,

about modern polish battalion, being sent back in time, to alter the outcome of WWII.

This mod, would help me play that scenario, as it is kind of stuck in my head :D

Hey, good luck with the project.

Couple of months ago, I have listened to an audiobook,

about modern polish battalion, being sent back in time, to alter the outcome of WWII.

What the fuck am I reading?

Yeah, as stupid this may sound...some guy wrote a book like this couple of years ago... A polish recon unit was to be deployed in Afghanistan and accompanying a group of US troops and their secret container. There some equipment in there, something goes wrong (during a storm or sth) and thay all end up being thrown back in time... in 1939...

http://www.1939.com.pl/

Well, it's the same genre and nonsense as some movies like: Experiment Philadelphia (especially the 2nd movie, where Nazis travel to the future to hijack a F117 and nuke Washington back in WW2) or The Final Countdown where a US naval carrier is thrown back in time and lands near Pearl Harbor on December 6th 1941...

Such things will always be written, filmed, you can't help it ;)

Yeah, as stupid this may sound...some guy wrote a book like this couple of years ago... A polish recon unit was to be deployed in Afghanistan and accompanying a group of US troops and their secret container. There some equipment in there, something goes wrong (during a storm or sth) and thay all end up being thrown back in time... in 1939...

http://www.1939.com.pl/

Well, it's the same genre and nonsense as some movies like: Experiment Philadelphia (especially the 2nd movie, where Nazis travel to the future to hijack a F117 and nuke Washington back in WW2) or The Final Countdown where a US naval carrier is thrown back in time and lands near Pearl Harbor on December 6th 1941...

Such things will always be written, filmed, you can't help it ;)

As I said, What the fuck am I reading?