Sign in to follow this  
LoneCrow66

Newb's First Impressions

The AI enemy definitely has superhuman spotting and marksmanship powers, but I find it evens things up a bit by hitting the 'M' (map) key every minute or so, because enemy units often show up on it even though you can't see them in the 3D world.

By noting the position of their icon on the map, you at least know roughly where they are, and can concentrate on looking in that direction when you exit back to 3D.

Edited by PoorOldSpike

The AI enemy definitely has superhuman spotting and marksmanship powers, but I find it evens things up a bit by hitting the 'M' (map) key every minute or so, because enemy units often show up on it even though you can't see them in the 3D world.

By noting the position of their icon on the map, you at least know roughly where they are, and can concentrate on looking in that direction when you exit back to 3D.

Are you running a mod that marks the enemies on the map? I have never seen enemy position on a map, unless I'm using a WICT script.

I think they appear on the map if you have extended map info (or something like that, I forget what the setting was called exactly) enabled.

Are you running a mod that marks the enemies on the map? I have never seen enemy position on a map, unless I'm using a WICT script.

The game itself will mark seen enemies on the map on some skill levels. Other than that, I know that DAC can mark every unit if you wish it to. I think though, that it's more likely the first one, seen units.

Yeah I'm going through the same things you are LoneCrow66 but as I continue to play I'm getting better and better. My 1st problem like you was seeing enemy before they see you but after getting over my furstration and resuming/after short hiatus because of furstration it kinda opens up. You start seeing movement, become alot more PATIENT(it's hard to shake the COD habits) and continue to get more familiar/ better with the game.

The AI are super accurate too me but like what was previously stated lower their accuracy but not their skill. That make for alot longer and enjoyable, realistic firefights.

PS hey guys when adjusting the enemy precision what is high and what is low scale wise.

Yeah I played last night.. went through all this running around talking to people. I lowered the accuracy, spent nearly an hour in mission talking to a priest, looking for camps. Went into the woods was sneaking through the red zone look for enemy, and some farmers or something with weapons came up behind us and killed us again pretty quickly and accurately. After the first shot I was able to scan th ehorizon with the range finder (very handy) and got the red target but couldn't see them at all.. yet they were able to kill me pretty handily.

Just frustrating after spending hours of sneaking around etc. I looked for the mods but I wanted to get into the game asap as my time was limited :)

Pretty nice having a chopper on call to pick me up and drop me off.. .

At the base there are vehicles around as well. Can you just take anything you want? I usually don't but one point theres a hummer sitting there so I thought why not.. :)

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

In time you'll learn to be able to spot the AI in a heartbeat from kilometers away, without binocs.

Not without a map :) I mean you are given areas to go..

I saw people on the ground shooting up at one of our choppers so I was able to track them down. But even at full rez like 1900x1050 I can't see jack

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

Yeah if they are spotted you can see them as red dots with direction and heading etc..

Enemy position on map is last seen too. They may of moved on from there

Enemy position on map is last seen too. They may of moved on from there

Right but generally if someone is shooting at me I try and find out where and which direction and then head for cover. You are all supposed to double tap in the direction as well.

But before I can even determine where the shots are coming from I'm usually dead. That is the frustrating part.

Also have to admit though. Some of the graphics are stunning. I really do admire what they tried to do with this sim. Its exactly what a lot of us want. Now just to find a happy medium between realistic AI and just learning to deal with the sim the way it is. I'd prefer it to be more realistic but the processing for the AI would be overwhelming most likely.

Edited by LoneCrow66

At the base there are vehicles around as well. Can you just take anything you want? I usually don't but one point theres a hummer sitting there so I thought why not.. :)

Take the LAV (Light Armoured Vehicle). Drive the thing around and let your AI turret gunner do the talking with the 20mm cannon.

Take the LAV (Light Armoured Vehicle). Drive the thing around and let your AI turret gunner do the talking with the 20mm cannon.

Heh.. So I guess I mean I've taken town civilian vehicles but you won't get in trouble for taking the APC's etc?

Yeah i like the way you think though.. let them dish it out.. too bad some of the areas are too heavily forested.

I played OFP without map markers and waypoints, so when I started playing Arma2, i was used to it.

If you are within a squad, you just go with the flow... follow them and make sure you know where they are, like someone would do IRL.

If you're alone (or in command), use GPS, compass+landmarks and a lot of map.

IRL there's no magic yellow marker.

hey lone crow - set the enemy AI precision down (I keep the skill levels up so they can still act tactical).

Get a squad with you. Your own AI can usually spot better than you can (at least until you get practiced). Have a good surround system, as knowing which way the shot(s) are coming from determines how to move, and which cover to look for in trying to either evade or flank. Run like hell and try to pop back up where they dont expect you to.

Definitely put the latest patches on.

Remember the 'grass layer', where if an enemy goes prone in the grass a distance away, even though the grass looks flat to you, it will still be hiding most of him - and you may only see a head as he moves.

Look in the direction of the sound, and look for muzzle smoke.

Be careful of sound, as with some sound mods, the report from the enemy rifle makes it sound closer than it is.

Keep moving when not in cover.

Thats about all I can say.

I remember when I first played the demo, I was gettin 1-shotted all the time - it had to do with my inexperience, and an initial enemy precision level which was ridiculous. Setting precision down, and perhaps using an ammo dispersion mod (to add realistic dispersion characteristics), or GL4 or ACE or Zeus or something liek that might help, and might provide more immersion for you, as bullets often hit around you before they kill you (and sometimes not).

Keep with it. Ya gotta admit, its a scary, and rich feeling being hunted, and being defensive. Itll make victory that much more sweet when you learn how to use terrain and cover to maneuver out of it and score the kill yourself.

I think you have the bug -- now just have some patience, and dont expect too much of yourself at first. Itll come.

Regarding spotting the enemy and vice-versa, I just set up a test mission in the editor which might explain a few things. There are about a dozen screenshots in the full set here- http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/showthread.php?7273-Spotting-the-enemy&p=50448#post50448

but most exceed the BIS forum pic size limit so I can't post them here,but here's a couple to be going on with-

Our guy crawls out from behind a house to eyeball the hill and sees no enemy up there..

AA-spotb.jpg

Wrong! this enlargement shows there are 5 bad guys!

The moral? Ask Santa to bring you a telescopic or thermal sight so you can see them better..:)

AA-spota.jpg

Heh.. So I guess I mean I've taken town civilian vehicles but you won't get in trouble for taking the APC's etc?

Yeah i like the way you think though.. let them dish it out.. too bad some of the areas are too heavily forested.

AI gunner in the LAV sees all in Harvest Red. He sees through trees, rocks, hills etc. Trust me. The only thing the AI gunner can't do is prioritize targets. If you see an RPG soldier, run him over if the gunner hasn't taken him out. RPGs are the only threat you need to worry about in a LAV. The way you clear the woods of insurgents is you drive around in the LAV and chase them down, the gunner does the rest.

You can get quite good doing the slalom in the LAV between the trees with practice, and try to drive them into the clearings (use your map to plan this). And you can knock trees down too, but don't hit them going too fast. You can injure occupants of the LAV by ramming objects too hard.

Edited by MissionCreep

All I can say Crow is that it comes with practice. I was wank when I first played the demo before ARMA 2 came out. Its all in practice and learning, when in command plan your approach and use the map and binos. Another thing that hasnt really been stressed is move slowly and purposefully. Running with your squad generally does get you spotted miles away, use cover areas such as woods, obstacles or hills, dont crest ridges, use slow movement crouch run and prone more in your approach to the target and whilst travelling, it also pays to sometimes scout ahead of your AI alone. Get them to stop whilst your prone or crouch bound between cover forward to get a good see with your scope. If your trying to go somewhere unseen, use crouch, diamond formation and get them to hold fire. I generally have the AI on hold fire at all times whilst travelling.

If you need some practice, just jump in the editor and put a few units in for you and a few enemy units in and give them simple waypoints and practice firefight skills. The beauty of this is you can practice it wherever you want in Chernarus or whatever map. Soon you will become adept at spotting.

Yeah I was in fallujah today and was thinking of this thread.

I was amazed to realize that spotting enemy with just zoomed aimpoint, I was recognizing them as enemy when they werent really even recognizable as a human.

More proof that it takes practice to spot em. Sometimes they just look like a lump.

Yet another technique is that the human eye is drawn to movement. Crouch down, and be patient while surveying the area you /think/ your enemy is. As soon as they move, youll see em.

Here is a good beginner's guide - the Gold Standard - Dslyecxi's Tactics, Techniques and Procedures Guide for Arma2.

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/index.html

It may be a little overwhelming at first, but when you play enough, most of it slowly becomes "common sense".

Edited by MissionCreep

Hi LoneCrow66

ArmA II is tough at first. I quote what it says in the BIS Community Wiki ArmA II Hints and Tips Introduction:

Introduction

ArmA II is not like other FPS's, it is a simulation. Most, if not all that you learned in other FPS's is wrong. You cannot stand out in the middle of an open street or field, blasting away and expect to survive long in a real battle or in a simulation of real battle. Bouncing around in full kit in real battle does not stop you getting shot; you simply get tired quickly, attract the wrong kind of attention, and would probably break your ankles; so just as you would not do it in real life you cannot do it in ArmA II. You have no uber body armor, no magical medipacks, no bunny hop rocket boots. It is just you, and what ever weapons you are carrying. If you get shot any where important you are going to die, often right away.

If you are a new player you are going to die and you are going to die a lot. This is simply part of the learning curve, there are ways however you can get over the hump faster. That is what this section of the biki will help you with.

You are going to have learn the basic battle drills and the difference between cover and concealment. There is a lot to learn but it can be fun. Surviving in ArmA II is hard, but one day you may find yourself with a bunch of your buddies hunting T90s like stone age humans hunting mammoths.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_II_Hints_and_Tips

Emphasis added

There are a lot of useful tips gathered there, from various sources, I suggest you read it and follow the links.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Sweet thanks. Last night I got my new video card and installed it. I jacked everything up to max 1900x1050 etc and redid the mission I was on before. This time they were shooting at me and I did get hit but I managed to get to cover and they came from multiple sides.. stayed long distance. Lucky they were wearing kinda whitish uniforms because they stuck out in the woods. Fire coming from all sides my guys one by one managed to kill them as well as a few by me. The firefight lasted a good 5 mins and ended up biting it from one last guy I never saw.

The only way I was able to survive was once I was being shot at I hit the deck, and then went to the map to see which direction I was pointed and where the red dots were. Then I knew where approx they were would crawl around until I could see them running from tree to tree.

it was much more enjoyable this way. But to find out where they were you couldn't stick your head up or you were dead. But now I have to almost use the map every time when I'm in dense forests etc.

I will check out those guides thanks. It runs really well with max stuff turned on so it did making it much more enjoyable

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

I played OFP without map markers and waypoints, so when I started playing Arma2, i was used to it.

If you are within a squad, you just go with the flow... follow them and make sure you know where they are, like someone would do IRL.

If you're alone (or in command), use GPS, compass+landmarks and a lot of map.

IRL there's no magic yellow marker.

GPS? How? I use the map and the compass. I noticed in arrow head they added a 12oclock meter which is helpful But not sure.. I bought it through steam so I didnt even really get the manual. I'll have to download it..

Right Control + M should bring up your GPS, but I'd recommend manual spotting ;)

Of course, not every soldier has a GPS :) Also, in the map screen, the GPS will show your grid reference up to I think six numbers.

By the way, what were the ranges of the grids? I think six numbers was like 100m, four numbers was a kilometer, or what?

Of course, not every soldier has a GPS :) Also, in the map screen, the GPS will show your grid reference up to I think six numbers.

By the way, what were the ranges of the grids? I think six numbers was like 100m, four numbers was a kilometer, or what?

Oh the GPS basically just gives you your coordinates then.. I don't need em. I pretty much are always checking the map to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.

I'm not directionally challenged.. like women are.. :)

No no, you can also toggle the GPS to show in the "normal" view. Then it shows you your position on the map and your heading, even if you have the magic map markers disabled.

And as far as heading in the right direction, you could just be checking your compass. It's much faster that way.

No no, you can also toggle the GPS to show in the "normal" view. Then it shows you your position on the map and your heading, even if you have the magic map markers disabled.

And as far as heading in the right direction, you could just be checking your compass. It's much faster that way.

Oh sorta like first person shooters that sorta give you the minimap..

Ahh that would be a HUGE help.

But to find out where they were you couldn't stick your head up or you were dead. But now I have to almost use the map every time when I'm in dense forests etc.

At the risk of bringing down the wrath of the "reality" afficionados, you can use the 3rd person view (keypad Enter) when stuck in a prone position. As far as I'm concerned, such a view can be used to replace the missing "peep over" view that you otherwise cannot do in ArmA2.